Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 3 new projects

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default 3 new projects

Just picked up all 3 for 100.00. Missing a few parts on the backs. Nothing to interfere with game play. Just some covers. The ashtray on the Sankyo is broken. I'm sure I can find one somewhere. The Sankyo is a 1975 to add to the 75 I already restored. The other 2 are Nishijn's 1972 and 1976. I may be in trouble since the other half has not seen them yet and said I could get 1 more. Oh well, time to start cleaning them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The following 9 users say "Thanks" to ssgtmc

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: 3 new projects

Nice looking machines there.

100 machines and counting...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Oh no! Not a broken ashtray! That's the best part! Hopefully someone here can help you get a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by ssgtmc View Post
    Just picked up all 3 for 100.00. Missing a few parts on the backs. Nothing to interfere with game play. Just some covers. The ashtray on the Sankyo is broken. I'm sure I can find one somewhere. The Sankyo is a 1975 to add to the 75 I already restored. The other 2 are Nishijn's 1972 and 1976. I may be in trouble since the other half has not seen them yet and said I could get 1 more. Oh well, time to start cleaning them.
    Pachinko -Nishijin "C" Fishing Game & Hockey, Red Lions, CR Red Lions, Heiwa Double Wing, Takao Bruce Lee, SanseiR&D 777 Sevens Rock, Sankyo Wanted!, lots of other vintages!; Pachislo -SPIN LUCK, Kung Fu Lady, Gamera High Grade, Gundam

5. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to naha13

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I may be in trouble since the other half has not seen them yet and said I could get 1 more. Oh well, time to start cleaning them.
    well as i see it you only bought one more... they just gave ya the other two

ya have to think out side the Box

Nice find I saw the craigs list posting for those
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

7. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

good deal!! Now have a lot of fun!!!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have been wondering about the center feature on the 3rd machine. I've seen a couple on eBay...but didn't want to buy just to see what it does!

10. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Working on the 3rd machine now. It is a metal coil that the ball kind of "swirls" down.

Does anyone have a good way to polish the brass pins. Right now I'm doing each one with brasso and a q-tip.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Nice find at a great price
    IMAGINATION IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN KNOWLEDGE

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Working on the 3rd machine now. It is a metal coil that the ball kind of "swirls" down.

Does anyone have a good way to polish the brass pins. Right now I'm doing each one with brasso and a q-tip.
    I have been using brasso and a wide shoe lace. I got the suggestion from a member and it is tedious but works well.
    "Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
    Pachiholic and Proud!!! サメ

14. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Card Shark

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks. I'll try that. I also just picked up a polish kit for my dremel that i'll try later.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Let me know how the dremel works out. I have thought about picking one up for this very thing.
    "Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
    Pachiholic and Proud!!! サメ

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks. I'll try that. I also just picked up a polish kit for my dremel that i'll try later.
    Tried it. Doesn't work as well as the shoelace. The polish pad shreds and leaves little fuzzy everywhere. You also end up going through them very fast. It works okay if there is just really heavily built up grime on the nail though. But not a good suggestion to use for a final polishing.

Also I hate brasso. Doesn't work for me. I use MAAS metal polish, found it at ACE and it works great. The nails shine, you can get them so clean that they almost look like they are chromed. Plus it also helps with the oxidation.

Also just another tip. When polishing nails wear gloves. The oils in your hands is what makes the nails oxidize so rapidly.
    Last edited by mxfaiman; 03-28-2012 at 09:03 PM.

18. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

MX is right. The dremel pad shreds. I have done 7 total restorations. There is a thread here on how to make a nail removal tool. I find removing all the nails makes cleaning them and the cell soooo much easier and when it's all said and done. You will get a better finished product and it takes as much time or less then polishing 1 by 1 with a shoe lace and q-tipping the cell between the nails. Just my 2cents. Good luck!

20. The following user says "Thanks" to Bouye

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Dremel did not work out too good with the nails still on the board. Like MX said. Little fuzzys everywhere on the board. I did decide to remove the nails. I use a needle nose and a small block of wood as a pivot so I dont damage the nail. What I did do though was clamp the dremel sideways on my workbench and polish the nails that way.

22. The following user says "Thanks" to ssgtmc

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yeah, I have tried dremels, shoelaces, old socks, you name it. Since nearly every machine i do needs a new playfield anyway, I just pull all of the nails and dump them into a polisher overnight with some brasso. It's probably eaiser to change the playfield and do it that way than it is to try to polish them without removing them.

24. The following user says "Thanks" to Rival

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Rival View Post
    Yeah, I have tried dremels, shoelaces, old socks, you name it. Since nearly every machine i do needs a new playfield anyway, I just pull all of the nails and dump them into a polisher overnight with some brasso. It's probably eaiser to change the playfield and do it that way than it is to try to polish them without removing them.
    Hey Rival,

Whats your method for pulling nails? I know we had a thread about this a few years ago and there were quite a few creative ideas. Just wondering what you do since you've been tearing down many machines lately.

BTW, a broken Ashtray is a bummer. You need to buy a parts machine for that unfortunately.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have it down to a system where it only takes about 20 minutes to pull them all. I use the handle of a small screwdriver as a fulcrum and have a pair of small bent-nose needle-nose pliers that slip under the head. I just lever them out straight up and out. It takes a little practice to make sure you don't bend them, but after the first few thousand you get pretty good at it.

27. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Rival

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Rival View Post
    I have it down to a system where it only takes about 20 minutes to pull them all. I use the handle of a small screwdriver as a fulcrum and have a pair of small bent-nose needle-nose pliers that slip under the head. I just lever them out straight up and out. It takes a little practice to make sure you don't bend them, but after the first few thousand you get pretty good at it.
    To me that sounds very time consuming. But if your good at it use it. Everyone has their own way of pulling nails.

I personally use a modified jumping-jack corkscrew. The first one was a little weak and broke after pulling all the pin on 2 backgrounds. The second one I built is a little stronger and now I'm able to pull nails faster. I think I timed it and I can pull all the pins in under 25 min. So just as fast.

But like I said everyone has their own way they like to do it.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by mxfaiman View Post
    To me that sounds very time consuming. But if your good at it use it. Everyone has their own way of pulling nails.

I personally use a modified jumping-jack corkscrew. The first one was a little weak and broke after pulling all the pin on 2 backgrounds. The second one I built is a little stronger and now I'm able to pull nails faster. I think I timed it and I can pull all the pins in under 25 min. So just as fast.

But like I said everyone has their own way they like to do it.
    Yeah, both of your techniques have been mentioned. There are quite a few creative ways of getting the job done for sure.

Before Dad died a couple years ago I bought him a machine and we had a parts machine thrown in with the deal. We were stripping it down and asked what he thought would be the fastest way of pulling the nails out the machine without damaging the nail heads (not telling him my technique). He was a Carpenter all his life. He looked at it for maybe 2 minutes and just grabbed a small piece of scrap wood left over from a cabinet project and a small claw hammer, laid the piece of wood across the Cel as the fulcrum and started pulling like a fiend.

Up to then I had been using a small slide hammer I modified to grab the nail head and slam!! I thought that was pretty slick but it kind of wears your arm out after awhile. I realized the concept of a prying device (dykes, needle nose, nail puller) with a fulcrum of sorts was probably the way to go. The corkscrew idea is great as well because you know you're pulling straight up and wont bend the nails.

Thanks guys, just curious as to what other methods are being used these days.

30. The following user says "Thanks" to Microbus99

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for your replies guys. I soaked the nails in CLR overnight. Very little brasso on them with the dremel mounted to my bench. 20 seconds each to polish. Been experimenting with different methods and this works the best for me. Just thought I would share.

32. The following user says "Thanks" to ssgtmc

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast