Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Painting/Touching-up playing field plastic parts

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Painting/Touching-up playing field plastic parts

Does anybody know what kind of paint to use to touch-up the plastic parts on the playing field? I was thinking some sort of acrylic, but that would probably crack over time. I've seen that others are using paint pens, but they are limited in available colors.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Painting/Touching-up playing field plastic parts

well it really depends on what you like to use.

I think your best bet would be to use model paints.

I personally use 1 Shot sign paint but that gets expensive and isn't smart to buy if you are only doing one machine.

I'd recommend going to your local hobby shop and take a look at the testors or tamiya paints.

http://www.testors.com/category/135894/Enamel_Paints

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/cat...p?sub-id=60100
    Last edited by mxfaiman; 02-12-2012 at 11:36 PM.

100 machines and counting...

3. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I've used acrylics extensively and specifically liquitex brand thinned with their thinner. It's a high end brand but is worth it. Keep in mind acrylics dry darker and have a matte finish. I've airbrushed and applied with a regular brush, just depends on the surface. I like enamels as well but the downside is having to use a petroleum based thinner but they work great. In short, those are the paints I prefer and have done complete restorations with them. Paints pens are good for quick touchups of very small areas but when used on smooth surfaces, brush marks can result.
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

5. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Model paints are meant for plastics , they are enamel based and have a fast acting dryer in the paint and don't shrink so they don't crack.They can be thinned to airbrush also.
    IMAGINATION IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN KNOWLEDGE

7. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to yose

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thank you both. Do you have any advice in terms of the brushes that you would normally use? In some case I almost think using a syringe would work well . I'd imagine that these plastic parts can be very difficult to paint, considering their small stature...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I used Testors paint and a toothpick as an applcator. Worked great for me.

10. The following user says "Thanks" to Chode1964

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Do you have any advice for matching color? I'd imagine you would buy white to decrease the saturation of a particular color.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Sankyo View Post
    Do you have any advice for matching color? I'd imagine you would buy white to decrease the saturation of a particular color.
    Kinda hard to match color.

Basically most of the colors that are on there are most likely faded. So you basically have to pick a color that is close and repaint everything that was that color.

But if you want to try to match you could try. Just remember... White = lighter ; Black = darker; also you may want to get a light yellow (not tan) to add to the white if you want to go that way.

All together it is just easier to repaint all of the parts the same color.

13. The following user says "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Very good, thank you! I will use all the advice given to me and try my hand at it. I'll post pictures after it is complete.

Hopefully, I don't mess it up

Here's a picture of the painted area in question.Front-Close.jpg
    Last edited by Sankyo; 02-13-2012 at 01:27 AM.

15. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Sankyo

Thanks
    Thanks Received

How does that center jackpot work? The left opening is blocked. I doubt that it is a cup, because the ball would be stuck. I expect if a ball falls in the left opening, it will rest on the blockage untill a ball falls in the center or right, then the pendulem swings and drops the left ball for the jackpot in waiting. That's my best guess.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Sankyo View Post
    Does anybody know what kind of paint to use to touch-up the plastic parts on the playing field? I was thinking some sort of acrylic, but that would probably crack over time. I've seen that others are using paint pens, but they are limited in available colors.

Any help would be appreciated!

I saw these Gundam touch up black pens used for tracing the lines inside the plastic face and body parts. Was going to buy one, but will wait until later. I believe it was the same one as this but wrapped individually in heat shrink plastic:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM01-GUNDAM-...#ht_1607wt_763

18. The following user says "Thanks" to GameXGame

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thank you Sankyo for making this thread and WELCOME to PachiTalk!

Thanks also for all the replies... Someday I'll get the nerve to try and redo the plastics in my Sanyo.
    If you enjoy my pachinko, pinball and pachislo YouTube videos, please "like" them at:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/SirSteveFury

20. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to SteveFury

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Any good hobby shop will have paints for plastic -and a good brush is almost a must -I use a double o to 6 o brusc and get them at Micheals art section - the ones from model sets are not good we in the train weathering tak them and flatten them in a vice then cut them ogg to about 3/16 and use them for weathering then throw them away -use paint sparingly and very little thinner-good luck -
    These are my opinions and no body elses and you can't have them

22. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to d mowery

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by d mowery View Post
    Any good hobby shop will have paints for plastic -and a good brush is almost a must -I use a double o to 6 o brusc and get them at Micheals art section - the ones from model sets are not good we in the train weathering tak them and flatten them in a vice then cut them ogg to about 3/16 and use them for weathering then throw them away -use paint sparingly and very little thinner-good luck -
    You have a good point on the brushes. (no pun intended )

I wouldn't recommend buying the cheapest brush you can find. I have found some of the ones that are only a $1 or 2 tend to shed bristles or don't hold their shape. Go ahead and splurge a little on the brushes buy one or two that are in the $5 range. You won't be sorry for spending that money. The cheap brushes leave streaks and other things in the paint.

I'd recommend going to Michaels, that is where I buy most my brushes. I tend to get their "Pro" brushes. Usually getting a 5/0 or 6/0. I recently got a 10/0 because I have some really small area I need to touch up on one. Cost me $5.49 for the 10/0 brush.

If you are redoing just the chrome I'd suggest just buying a fine tip silver paint pen.
    Last edited by mxfaiman; 02-13-2012 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

24. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Actually, what you can't see is that the small arm (the left opening that is blocked) is actually open on the top for the ball to fall through. You can get the ball through this orifice or through the open side. I still haven't been able to figure out what this machine is called. It's a 1974 Sankyo.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by mxfaiman View Post
    You have a good point on the brushes. (no pun intended )

I wouldn't recommend buying the cheapest brush you can find. I have found some of the ones that are only a $1 or 2 tend to shed bristles or don't hold their shape. Go ahead and splurge a little on the brushes buy one or two that are in the $5 range. You won't be sorry for spending that money. The cheap brushes leave streaks and other things in the paint.

I'd recommend going to Michaels, that is where I buy most my brushes. I tend to get their "Pro" brushes. Usually getting a 5/0 or 6/0. I recently got a 10/0 because I have some really small area I need to touch up on one. Cost me $5.49 for the 10/0 brush.

Why would want to touch that up it looks to be in perfect shape. Maybe redoing a little chrome but that is about it.

If you are redoing just the chrome I'd suggest just buying a fine tip silver paint pen.

Really?! At first I was thinking of skimping on the plastic part restoration, but decided to go the whole nine yards. After reading what you said, I may think twice...except for the silver portions. However, everyone has given me such good advice. The green plastic pockets [not shown] have a silvery shimmer to them. I can't tell if they were once all silver on the front and faded over time, or if they really are meant to be spotty. I'll try posting a picture later on.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

MX,

Do you have a good resource for rechroming? This has been a topic before and maybe should be discussed on older threads. Rechroming has been an extremely expensive option that makes restoring a VERY expensive project.

So far I havent had the need to rechrome any of my machines but I'm sure a few of us are curious.

Indulge us!!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Microbus99 View Post
    MX,

Do you have a good resource for rechroming? This has been a topic before and maybe should be discussed on older threads. Rechroming has been an extremely expensive option that makes restoring a VERY expensive project.

So far I havent had the need to rechrome any of my machines but I'm sure a few of us are curious.

Indulge us!!
    I'm not entirely sure what you are asking. If you mean a way to rechrome the plastic. I have a way but it isn't terribly easy. It is called Bare Metal Foil. (Sorry can't post the link at the moment.) It looks just like real chrome but it is a pain to put on. I kknow member emmadog found a paint that when applied a certain way looks just like chrome. But it is expensive and you need airbrushing equipment.

I'll post the links later today.

-Max

Thanks
    Thanks Received

bare metal foil is good stuff and comes in copper, brass, etc. what is even shinier than that is metallic Mylar tape. comes in the same metal colors as bare metal foil as well as several other colors. the chrome is so shiny it looks like a mirror. however, Mylar tape is best suited for flat surfaces but can confirm to gentle curves. the foil is actually metal so it can conform to complex curves and smaller areas but is difficult to apply the smaller the area is. for the raised ridges and borders and other small factory chromed areas, I'd go with a paint pen. They're silver not chrome but it looks decent. for my personal machines decent is not good enough so I use the chrome airbrush paint MX is talking about. it's expensive on its own but a little goes a long way. besides when in the context of all the time, money, and effort that goes into a quality restoration, it's cheap.
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

30. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

okay here is the link to the Bare Metal Foil.

http://www.bare-metal.com/bare-metal-foil.html

you can pick what ever you want. I think the difference between the Ultra Bright chrome and the regular chrome is how shiny they are. I bought the normal chrome (I think) and it looks just like those parts did originally. (I think the ultra stuff is like mirror chrome where you get a near perfect reflection.)

Also I wouldn't buy their How To book. This slideshow they linked tells all the basics you really need. http://www.bare-metal.com/How-to-use...etal-Foil.html

And here is the link to the paint that emmadog likes to airbrush.

http://www.spazstix.com/xcart/Chrome-paint/

Once I get use to using my airbrush I may buy this product and try it out.

Here is emmadog's post on the Spaz Stix paint. 3rd Taiyo Project

32. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast