Thread: Olympia Super Bunny... not feeling all that super.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Olympia Super Bunny... not feeling all that super.

First of all, would like to thank all of the knowledgeable posters who make this forum fun and informative to read. This is my first post, but I have been a short-term stalker on this forum, lurking and reading up on machines before I took the plunge.

And I did. Bought a Olympia Super Bunny (with a red background), with the full knowledge it did not work correctly, with the hopes that it would not become a very expensive doorstop (or Million God machine equivalent) (sorry, Eddie) with the help of the friendly and knowledgeable souls here. Let me give you a timeline and symptom breakdown, and I will send pictures if need be later.

Several months ago... machine worked perfectly. No problems besides last owners lack of interest. Machine enters storage in closet.
    Several days ago... machine is pulled out and started up. Will not function. Front lit up, but nothing works. Was not witness to this.
    Yesterday... machine transported to me. Fired it up, top LCD reads an "e", middle LCD reads an "e", bottom LCD reads an "e". Huh. Open it up with the keys, examined hopper. It's empty, of course. Loaded it with tokens, reset it with key. Closed box. Lights, no action. Ignorantly forgot to keep a test token. Open box, extract one token from the top, and all the tokens proceed to be ejected from the bottom of the hopper, like a monster jackpot had just been hit. This happens with the body door still open. Hopper jams, will not stop trying to eject last two tokens. Turn machine off and remove them.

Now, with hopper unjammed and reloaded, start up again. No lights, fan hums, power supply light on, but no front lights, no LCDs, no nothing. If the fan wasn't running, you wouldn't know the machine was even on. No time to play more with it then, loaded it up and brought it home.

Today... the machine now has two states. The state I described above, where only the fan runs, which is what I get after any reset or attempt to tinker with it. But when you FIRST fire it up after it sits for a period of time longer than an hour, there is, in fact, a slim, almost minute chance that the machine may in fact light the top most machine lights. Nothing else. Just those. And even with all the reading I've done, I'm not 100% sure where to start. The fan is getting power. Some lights, some times, are getting power. The front five fuses have been removed, examined, and tested (visually) to be good. The bulbs, with a few minor exceptions, seem to be in large, good. The machine will not accept tokens, just run straight out the bottom tray. The connections are good. The machine is VERY clean inside. The transformer looks to have been replaced once. It's spliced in, and the writing on it is in English. Hopper does work. The LCDs have worked yesterday. I have followed the instructions for a reset several times.

I need help on what to try next. Any suggestions are appreciated.

-The Doc

2. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to Dr_Foxsly

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Olympia Super Bunny... not feeling all that super.

Welcome to Pachitalk!!!

How many tokens do you have with the machine? I had similar problems with my machine before I added more, currently I have a little over 1000 tokens in that machine and it works great. I am sure someone with a lot more experience will be along soon with more ideas.

Pictures would also be a help, I am sure.

"Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
    Pachiholic and Proud!!! サメ

4. The following user says "Thanks" to Card Shark

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Did you do the full reset useing the power supply key to reboot.
    IMAGINATION IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN KNOWLEDGE

Thanks
    Thanks Received

might also have something to do with the other switches on the power suply box. one of thouse is a switch that requires a reset after big bonus.. are ya sure ya got the reset done correctly?? i have been stuck in the middle and machine wont work..

Im more of a Vintage Pachinko guy but wanted to say..

Welcome to Pachitalk
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

First off, thanks to all the quick responders. All help and the warm welcome are greatly appreciated.

I'll review the reset procedures I have tried.

Step one, with case closed and machine on: Open case with key, locking key in reverse position once case is opened. Power machine down with switch.
    Step two: Turn power supply key to right-hand toggle position, wherein it locks in. Power on with switch.
    Step three: Press down wheel-spin lever, holding the cancel button simultaneously for a full 5 seconds.
    Step four: Power down with switch. Return power supply key to left-hand position, unlocking it and remove it.
    Step five: Power up, close case, but to no avail. No changes.

I have tried permutations of this combination, leaving the door lock key in neutral position in line 1, using just the wheel-spin lever and not the cancel button in step three, leaving the power supply key in after the reset... no alleviation of symptoms. I may be missing a crucial step, but I have read up on as many Olympia resets as I can. There are two reset style buttons on the inside of the case, one on the "board" of the computer, and one on the very innermost part of the case door. No idea what these are for. Did not prevent me from tinkering with them. >.< I will openly acknowledge that probably wasn't wise.

I have enough tokens to fill the hopper about 3/4 of the way, CardShark. Have not counted them, but would calculate that there should be between 300 and 400. Could it really be that simple? I read that there should be at least 400 tokens in the hopper on the general Angelfire guide, but in that case I kinda figured there would be an "e" code displayed. If it were as simple as all that, I would be ecstatic. I will order some more tokens, and see what comes of that.

Any other ideas in the meantime from anyone?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Step one is turn machine off. #2 turn reset ket to right.#3 turn machine on.#4press reset button to schange odds.#5hold spin knob down5 seconds and turn reset key left leave machine on during entire reset.

9. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to yose

Thanks
    Thanks Received

hear is a set on resets i copied from a book

In order to change odds, machine must be in idle mode with no tokens or credits
    being played. Locate internal toggle switch (red tipped or silver with on/off tabs)
    or insert key into internal key switch (if your machine came with 2 keys).
    Machine must be turned OFF. Turn key clockwise or flip reset toggle switch to
    the "ON" or "ODDS" position. Turn main power switch ON to access
    programming mode.
    A number from 1 to 6 will be displayed on the CREDIT meter on the front door or
    on a display inside the door. Locate the reset button. This will be located on
    your power supply. On SAMMY brand models, the button is on the inside of the
    door only.
    Depress the button and notice movement of number being displayed on the
    credit meter. Once the desired level is displayed (1 to 6) pull "spin reels" handle
    (black or red knob on front door) down, like you are going to spin the reels, to
    lock odds level into machine memory. Turn key switch back or flip toggle to
    "OFF" or "PLAY" position. Machine should immediately initialize. You will know
    the machine initialized if the "Insert Medal" light starts flashing. If not, make sure
    you remembered to press down the "SPIN REELS" lever.
    If it still doesn't initialize, turn power to the OFF position, wait 15 seconds and
    turn power switch back to ON position.
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

11. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

OK, time for an update. I gave both reset procedures a try. Neither one generated any change from the machine. When the key was placed in the ON/ODDS position, the CREDIT LCD did not light up. Giving the idea of a bad LCD a chance, I performed both reset procedures anyway, but there was no change afterward. I think we may be down to a token shortage issue or something more serious. I am going to order some more tokens and see if that remedies the issue.

I have a new question. What is a fair price for tokens? I have seen a few lots of 200 on Ebay for around $13.00. This seems to be the most reasonable, but is it actually? Is there some other place I should order them from? I appreciate everyone's help and patience, and should more tokens not remedy this issue, I will repost with pictures of the outside and internals of the machine and we'll work onward from there.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'm not so sure the number of tokens is your issue. Even if you only had 20 or so tokens, you should be able to cycle those through by hand should the issue be an unsatisfied payout in the machine. A reset would have cleared that anyway. On the Olympia machine I have, "HE" is the error code displayed for an empty hopper. And you can hear it coming. While playing and receiving payouts, if the machine is low, you will hear the hopper spin for a brief time, and an occasional token may be ejected out the front. Once no more tokens come out, an alarm will sound and "HE" will display.

I don't know of any machine with an internal mechanism that 'knows' it's low on tokens. They run dry, the sensor stops counting out ejected tokens, and the error is displayed.
    To answer your token price question, 3 cents a token shipped is the best I have ever found, 4 cents each is a great deal, 5 cents each is about average, and anything more is too much unless you wish to buy just a small amount.

Divide the total shipped/taxed price by the number of tokens and see what you get.
    Last edited by Meathead; 02-06-2012 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    A Hardy har har...

14. The following user says "Thanks" to Meathead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Is the transformer good and are the connections good from the transformer.If it worked before storage then there has to be a connection that has worked loose in moving it around.Check all the ribbon cables at both ends,and check every terminal you can find.It acts like bad power connections.An E error is in the cpu area. Recheck the fuses and wiggle power supply output wires.The tokens are not the problem to me. You have plenty of tokens in the hopper.An HE is hopper error.Check the ground wire.If it acts like it tries to power up but can't it's loose power connections somewhere,maybe inside the power supply.
    Last edited by yose; 02-06-2012 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

16. The following user says "Thanks" to yose

Thanks
    Thanks Received

OK, disassembled and checked it all over. Internals look like it's been moved roughly on more than one occasion... lot of bent capacitors and those... other... things that aren't capacitors. >.< Anyway, all ribbon cables were tight and properly clipped in, terminals were good, found one loose ground and re-secured it. Did not fix the situation, however. Discovered last person to play with the computer body did not properly re-install it in the box, either. O_o Rechecked fuses, visually look OK, but going to borrow a multi-meter and check them in the machine. My primary suspect now is the transformer. All of the wiring to it is nicely spliced, tight, and capped, but the transformer is always warm to the touch when the machine is plugged in. Is this normal behavior?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Check the output of the transformer with the meter it should be 24 volts output.The transformer will get warm after a while, but not as soon as you turn it on.

19. The following user says "Thanks" to yose

Thanks
    Thanks Received

OK... more updates. Was all over the box with the multimeter and a buddy of mine, and we discovered some interesting things.

1.) Fired it up after sitting unplugged for several days. All front lights booted up with top LCD empty, middle LCD display reading "c.", and the bottom LCD display reading "c.". Was puzzled and hopeful, tried a reset... it booted up to fan running and no lights. Machine is doing its level best to crush my soul. >.<
    2.) Transformer is kicking out 25V. So... assuming it's doing what it's supposed to.
    3.) All fuses tested with 14V running through them. Assuming they too are good.
    4.) Front door has power to the lights, 3V, even when they aren't on.

My buddy, an ex-auto technician and much handier sort of a guy, had two questions for the fine folks here. Does the "computer" control the ground in order to turn things on and off; vs. controlling the power? And does anyone have a wiring schematic for this machine or a machine like it, in order for us to work our way over the wires and board in a more intelligent fashion? I do realize that this is a bit of a tall order, but I promised I would ask.

Any more suggestions, or shall I move on to posting some pictures? Everything suggested thus far has been greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Pictures are always helpful,as someone else might have that machine and can help to identify the inner workings. A schematic is almost impossible to come by.I think the motherboard controls all the operations from the sensors,as in coin sensors reel sensors hopper sensors.A[C] code is generally a coin error in the coin mech acceptor or sensors.The displays are usually credit and payout displays on the bottom of the machine where most of the functions go through,including the hopper action.The smaller circuit board about a 4x6'' with a robbon cable and is mostly on the sides of the inner cabinet is the reel stop board.The reel stop buttons go through there.Tracing the wires takes alot of time but it's the easiest way I know of to see what the components do ane where they go to the mother board or from the motherboard.Don't give up other members will be troubleshooting too.