Thread: Cool Informative Web Sites

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Cool Informative Web Sites

Howdy Folks

While I was looking for some info on electronics I found this site http://www.mztv.com/

And it has Very cool information about the beginings of televison and radio and I thought , what sites have you found that have sooooo many cool photos and info ??
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

2. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to takethecastle57

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Cool Informative Web Sites

I remember trading some old patio furniture to a friend for what he described as an unusual slot machine. Once receiving the machine, I started doing research on the web to find out what it was and that lead me here. Now, I have a great new hobby (obsession) and have made some new friends.
    "Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
    Pachiholic and Proud!!! サメ

4. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Card Shark

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Slot Cars and More !!

http://www.ddavid.com/index.htm
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

6. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to takethecastle57

Thanks
    Thanks Received

8. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to takethecastle57

Thanks
    Thanks Received

A lot of people don't know there was a major market battle for mechanical versus electronic television in the late 1920-1930's. It was like the more recent VCR versus BATA or Blu Ray players vs HD DVD.

I've been interested in this topic because I've been restoring antique radio and electronic equipment (1920's-1960's) for around 25 years and came across some information about it. These are a couple things I've learned about mechanical TV:

mechanicaltv diagram.gif

Technical explanation:

The transmitter has a single, constant light source. The very bright light is focused through a mask which is a plate with a vertical slot. A disk is perforated with a number of evenly spaced holes arranged in a spiral. The disk is spun by an electric motor, and the focused light emitting from the slot in the mask shines through only one hole in the disk at a time.

A subject of interest is in a completely dark room. The light coming from the disk produces a single dot which travels high to low, passing over the subject. The next dot closer to the center of the disk produces the next light dot which travels high to low over the subject, only a little bit off to the side. Each hole in the disk produces a consecutive light dot on the subject until the entire subject is scanned. A light sensitive photocell reads the amount of light reflected off the subject for each dot and sends it to the transmitter along with the timing signal from the motor spinning the disk.

The receiver reads the signal and modulates (varies) the projection light intensity according to the transmitters photocell. The modulated light is focused through another disk with holes arranged identical to the transmitter, and spinning in time with it (In sync) by a timing signal. It is focused through a vertical slot (mask) which produces the same scanning pattern of dots from the transmitter and onto an opaque screen for the viewer to see. The typical viewing area of the screens were about the size of a matchbox or a postcard. AT&T once made a mechanical screen TV that was 3x4 feet.
    That is really primitive for today's standard but it was high technology back then.

It is no wonder this design lost out to the electronic CRT television.

These are some GIF animations I've come across before which are said to be made from the sets:

1927.GIF 1927, A guy looking left to right: 1933.GIF 1933, Girls dancing on stage: and 1935.GIF 1935, a woman singing a song. (I think it looks kinda like the lady in the photo below)

The transmitter:

TVcamera.jpg

The receiver:

octagon.jpg

There are a few hobbyists today who are reproducing this technology. I wanted to but never got around to doing it.

If you enjoy my pachinko, pinball and pachislo YouTube videos, please "like" them at:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/SirSteveFury

10. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to SteveFury

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks
    Thanks Received

that slot car site lead me to this site where i found thishttp://lascm.com/Slot-Car-Museum/ind...71944b70d8e33d that is a cool slot car.
    Spoiler
    here is their home page http://lascm.com/I wonder if this is an actual museum because i'll be in the area on sunday and it may be cool to stop by.
    Last edited by mxfaiman; 01-28-2012 at 11:55 AM.

100 machines and counting...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I've got a little stash of vacuum tubes from when I worked part time at a TV repair shop back in the late 80's, so let me know if you are looking for anything in particular for a project. They were going to throw them out and let me have them.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveFury View Post
    A lot of people don't know there was a major market battle for mechanical versus electronic television in the late 1920-1930's. It was like the more recent VCR versus BATA or Blu Ray players vs HD DVD.

I've been interested in this topic because I've been restoring antique radio and electronic equipment (1920's-1960's) for around 25 years and came across some information about it. These are a couple things I've learned about mechanical TV:

Technical explanation:

The transmitter has a single, constant light source. The very bright light is focused through a mask which is a plate with a vertical slot. A disk is perforated with a number of evenly spaced holes arranged in a spiral. The disk is spun by an electric motor, and the focused light emitting from the slot in the mask shines through only one hole in the disk at a time.

A subject of interest is in a completely dark room. The light coming from the disk produces a single dot which travels high to low, passing over the subject. The next dot closer to the center of the disk produces the next light dot which travels high to low over the subject, only a little bit off to the side. Each hole in the disk produces a consecutive light dot on the subject until the entire subject is scanned. A light sensitive photocell reads the amount of light reflected off the subject for each dot and sends it to the transmitter along with the timing signal from the motor spinning the disk.

The receiver reads the signal and modulates (varies) the projection light intensity according to the transmitters photocell. The modulated light is focused through another disk with holes arranged identical to the transmitter, and spinning in time with it (In sync) by a timing signal. It is focused through a vertical slot (mask) which produces the same scanning pattern of dots from the transmitter and onto an opaque screen for the viewer to see. The typical viewing area of the screens were about the size of a matchbox or a postcard. AT&T once made a mechanical screen TV that was 3x4 feet.
    That is really primitive for today's standard but it was high technology back then.

It is no wonder this design lost out to the electronic CRT television.

These are some GIF animations I've come across before which are said to be made from the sets:

1927, A guy looking left to right: 1933, Girls dancing on stage: and 1935, a woman singing a song. (I think it looks kinda like the lady in the photo below)

The transmitter:

The receiver:

There are a few hobbyists today who are reproducing this technology. I wanted to but never got around to doing it.

Pachinko -Nishijin "C" Fishing Game & Hockey, Red Lions, CR Red Lions, Heiwa Double Wing, Takao Bruce Lee, SanseiR&D 777 Sevens Rock, Sankyo Wanted!, lots of other vintages!; Pachislo -SPIN LUCK, Kung Fu Lady, Gamera High Grade, Gundam

14. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to naha13

Thanks
    Thanks Received

http://www.pittsburghtransit.info/index.html
    Last edited by takethecastle57; 01-28-2012 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

16. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to takethecastle57

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by naha13 View Post
    I've got a little stash of vacuum tubes from when I worked part time at a TV repair shop back in the late 80's, so let me know if you are looking for anything in particular for a project. They were going to throw them out and let me have them.
    Thank you.
    I have approx. 900 (mostly) new tubes left over from a 50's-60's repair shop which I've tried to sell on CL. Lots of people called on them, and one was supposed to meet me somewhere but they never showed up.
    If you enjoy my pachinko, pinball and pachislo YouTube videos, please "like" them at:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/SirSteveFury