Thread: Sammy Popeye Pachinko in tilt mode

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Sammy Popeye Pachinko in tilt mode

Help me!! Please help me! I scored a FREE popeye unit. My first. Power supply plug was broken off the board, , fixed that, it was up and flashing lights and the lcd screen was running and I was trying to figure out how to get the ball shooter to run. I had the front glass open and was manually dropping balls in the gates just to see it run. All of a sudden it now will only repeat a phrase (in japanese of course) and the main ball dump button is flashing. Gives me the idea it is saying out of order, or call attendent etc. I have searched the forums but not immediatly finding anything on this. Did try the reset ? button on the power board- nothing changes. So- first need some kind of reset to clear it? Then need to get the shooter working. Dongle is present on the port. Any one have any thing in english on these machines? I will be so grateful for any info. Thanks

2. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to dirtydawg

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Sammy Popeye Pachinko in tilt mode

Welcome to PachiTalk! You have come to the right place to get the help you need. Unfortunatley, I am a "vintage" guy so I do not know much about your machine. I know someone will be along shortly and give you some things to try. The only thing I can offer is that perhaps you might not have enough balls loaded in the top hopper, and the voice is stating something to that effect. You need a minimum of 1,000 balls for play in a modern machine.

Again, someone with more experience should be along shortly.

Welcome to our community! Please visit us daily and post often.

Jeff
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome Aboard

Pictures say a thousand words. If you can take a picture of the back, including any display flashing error. Also make sure that the back hopper is full of balls Is the shooter making any noise at all? or nothing.
    Also unplug and re seat the dongle, just to make sure.

Ian #UKPachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Sorry typing this from my iPod, but I'm also thinking that you may not have enough balls loaded in the rear hopper.

Especially if you have been dropping balls into the pockets, the pachinko is probably trying to payout your wins and cannot if the hopper is not topped up.

Top up the balls and Let us know how you get on

I'm sure other members will see your thread and offer more advice

And Welcome to PachiTalk!!

Last edited by hanabi; 01-27-2012 at 04:41 PM. Reason: iPod can't spell :-D
    Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

You can get this if you try putting balls in the wrong holes manually. I know, I did it.
    Without seeing it there should be a reset switch that is a rocker switch with a button near it.
    Press and hold the button and turn the machine off after 3-4 seconds.
    Then turn the machine on while still holding the button until you hear it beep.
    This should clear the machine of everything including fevers.

On my machine it is on the backside behind the area where the shooter knob is.
    Yours might be in a different area.

If you were manually dropping balls you will need a hard reset.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to Pachitalk

sounds like your geting good help

hope to see ya get it up and running.. I know ya will
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to Pachitalk!!!
    Would love to see some pictures of your machine.
    "Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
    Pachiholic and Proud!!! サメ

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Wow- thanks for the quick replies, info and encouragement! Sounds like the nice japenese lady is probably saying nee neep -you broke it, nee neep -you broke it etc. The reset by the power switch has had no effect. Dongle has been put in and out couple times, no change. Another issue may be that after looking at some other machines photos, I realized that the black plastic upper portion of the ball hopper is broken off and missing. Would that piece be available somewhere or do I need to fabricate? i did locate a micro switch that looked as if it was intended to sense if the hopper was full or not, experimented with taping it on and off- no change. did fill the short hopper section and ball rails cast in the blue plastic housing, no change. using 300 balls right now, will have to get more if can get this tilt cleared to work. i ll try to get some photos up soon.

10. The following user says "Thanks" to dirtydawg

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Also make sure you have a grip on the ground metal ring on the shooter or it will not work, Don't forget to check any fuses and connectors
    Ian #UKPachinko

12. The following user says "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

is the lower front tray full? it will shout at you to empty it if balls back up in it, along the lines of "clear the balls out dummy"

and yes, dropping balls into pockets (the fever gate is the worst) will set of all sorts of alarms as the machine knows balls can't get to there unless someone is cheating.
    the

LLTR

14. The following user says "Thanks" to owennewton

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Smile Re: Sammy Popeye Pachinko in tilt mode

Are the balls from the upper tray making it to the payout motor area? There are some sort of clear plastic pieces that you should be able to see through.

Is the machine rewarding any pachinko balls to the shooting tray?

I had that same machine and the problem cleared up once it started rewarding.

Attached some pictures, might help you? In the first picture, the reset button is left of the fuses, behind the wires...

002 Power Switch.jpg003 Volume Control.jpg004 Ball Feeder Area OPEN.jpg005 Ball Feeder Area CLOSED or PLAY position.jpg000 Popeye Back.jpg
    PACHINKO - Nishijin Model A, 2005 Newgin Cutie Honey, 2015 TAKAO Queen's Blade 2
    BUBBLE HOCKEY - SUPER CHEXX PRO | MAME - 4 Player Entertainment Center
    PINBALL - Williams Grand Lizard

16. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Carl W -Thanks for the photos, that is my machine exactly! I will try the reset again, but have had no luck with it. Can you suggest a reset procedure other than what has been suggested already? I have also tried putting as many balls as possible in feeder and a few in the tray etc, no change. it was paying of small amounts prior to my screwing it up, so the feed gates must be ok. UPDATE: went to check gate positions (upper open lower closed) before finishing this post, and it apparently has RESET ITSELF. I powered it up, it started the ne-neep /voice, then that just stopped, now is cycling the light show with the motorized slide under the LCD moving. Although that had all continued to operate as the tones/voice droned on and on. So I may be just down to wont shoot balls. FURTHER UPDATE. That was too easy, I have been working at it as I wrote this. I tripped the overide on the payout motor to be sure it was working, and the dreaded tones and voice came right back as it dumped the balls thru the rear dump only. Either I or the machine must be cursed. Possibly both!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by dirtydawg View Post
    Carl W -Thanks for the photos, that is my machine exactly! I will try the reset again, but have had no luck with it. Can you suggest a reset procedure other than what has been suggested already? I have also tried putting as many balls as possible in feeder and a few in the tray etc, no change. it was paying of small amounts prior to my screwing it up, so the feed gates must be ok. UPDATE: went to check gate positions (upper open lower closed) before finishing this post, and it apparently has RESET ITSELF. I powered it up, it started the ne-neep /voice, then that just stopped, now is cycling the light show with the motorized slide under the LCD moving. Although that had all continued to operate as the tones/voice droned on and on. So I may be just down to wont shoot balls. FURTHER UPDATE. That was too easy, I have been working at it as I wrote this. I tripped the overide on the payout motor to be sure it was working, and the dreaded tones and voice came right back as it dumped the balls thru the rear dump only. Either I or the machine must be cursed. Possibly both!
    I'm not sure I understand completely but... if it was working (light show and the motorized slide thing) until you did a ball dump, then just refilling it should do the trick. As far as the shooting handle... dongle is number one suspect. Only way to check it is to use another dongle that you know works. Number two suspect - there is a microswitch near the bottom of the machine - it would be near the chute that lost balls exit from - I don't have the machine anymore and my picture is not that great to zoom in - but that switch would close if the machine's bottom tray is full. I have seen where a lever or something else is bent or forced too far, thereby closing that switch. That also shuts down the shooting handle. Wish I could help more. I'll look for a spare dongle, I only use the dave rob ones now and thought I had some of the other type... somewhere.
    Will send you a pm with my email...
    PACHINKO - Nishijin Model A, 2005 Newgin Cutie Honey, 2015 TAKAO Queen's Blade 2
    BUBBLE HOCKEY - SUPER CHEXX PRO | MAME - 4 Player Entertainment Center
    PINBALL - Williams Grand Lizard

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Im going to close out this thread, as I believe the tilt mode ws the empty the balls type thing. Many thanks to CarlW who offered so much assistance, and all those who ofered encourement. I will be opned new tech ticket, on tyhe ball shoter, I performed surgery and after pulling it out have questions on it.