Thread: chewy's latest fixits

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default chewy's latest fixits

hi guys. I'm back from the terrible year of 2011. between the divorce, depression, menopause and quitting my engineering job (and getting a new one), it's been tough. On the bright side, however, i'm finally feeling like working on projects, including my backlog of pachi's, and I did a couple projects this week.

1st was installing a new car stereo in the ex-wife's volvo XC70. seems the stock head unit was randomly changing modes from FM/AM/CD and the bluetooth add-on was not seeing her iPhone. So, after a bit of research, my favorite part of projects, I found that crutchfield had a JVC CD player with bluetooth module (phone and streaming music) for $120 shipped. if anyone wants to use the $20 for friends code, it is pyh44-b9q5u-j5wg4 and number is 800.955.3000 to use it. there are 3 coupons on my sheet, but I'll guess that any number can use it.

below are pix. it was very hard to get into the center console. luckily we have the internet, and I found take apart drawings and videos.

The crutchfield kit even included the wiring harness adapter, antenna adapter and the plastic covers and pocket for going from double DIN to single. it took a bit of futzing, but it's in now, and the stereo works and sounds great.

next, I ordered another stereo for the girlfriend's BMW Z3, which I already installed upgraded aftermarket speakers into. I was going to install the door tweeters, then found out I could hurt or kill myself if I set the air bag off. So since the Gfriend does not have the 4 digit stereo code we need if I disconnect the battery, it was just easier to buy a new unit - and get bluetooth and auxiliary inputs too. This install should happen next week.

2nd fun tech thing is that I bought a color nook for $100 with the NYtimes subscription. The good thing is that I found out that you can easily boot into android gingerbread via the microSD card. I bought one from N2A, figuring my time for futzing and debugging software is limited. Stuck it in last night, rebooted, and I have a cool 7 inch android tablet, and now, access to the android marketplace! This is fun since there are a lot of free apps to play with. I have been on mac OS or iOS up to now, having an iphone.

I never thought I would want a tablet, but this small one is great for reading in bed and doing email, and the Gfriend has already usurped it for reading at night... I may have to get another one... the nerd in me is having a great time finding new, free apps on android

3rd exciting thing is that I found the company, Ididit, that made the steering column on my Sparrow. I have had a problem with the right side signal not working, and I could not find a way to get to the switch contacts as there is a lock ring in the way... the manufacturer told me how to try to pry it off and is sending me a new ring, in case I need to cut the original one ... so my Sparrow will get some long needed attention. I have not been driving it much since I got the chevy Volt. the optima sealed batteries need individual attention and charging to keep them in shape - a project for sunday.

4th tech project is buying, installing and debugging my youngest sister's new laptop. She usually just inherits my old laptop when I upgrade, but had some deal and bestbuy money to spend. I'm going to set her up with a macbook pro 13 inch and get a new wireless router network set up for her. This is her Xmas present. i give time and tech for presents.

pachi-wise, I am almost ready to fine tune the visible pachi (the acrylic powerflash that dad and I made). it's got a couple rough pockets that need fine dremel tool work and a couple switches might benefit from wider paddles... all the fun little things that I enjoy doing, but have had absolutely no desire to consider in the past 6 months

the arepachi with the roulette cell is probably first, though, as I had gotten the basics to work but not the payout mechanism. this will be today's project... cold, raining weather is perfect for pachi work, if you're not in the garage

happy new year to everyone. I hope to be sharing more fixits soon.

chewy

p.s. does anyone know what I can do with the stock volvo radio? I am guessing it's just a dirty switch that is shorting, but I don't have time to mess with it. would anyone want it on ebay, you think? I'm sure that it's over $500 to buy from the dealership...

IMG_0598.jpgIMG_0603.jpgIMG_0597.jpg
    PachiTalk

chewy's motto: life is plumbing

2. The following 10 users say "Thanks" to mudfud

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: chewy's latest fixits

Welcome back Chewy!!

Sorry to hear that 2011 was not the best for you, it wasn't too good for me either, so hopefully 2012 will be better for all of us

Great to have you back with us, and looking forward to reading more about your projects

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

4. The following user says "Thanks" to hanabi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Glad to see you are back Chewy.
    I still have a set of pf decals left.

6. The following user says "Thanks" to mbodi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

thanks! I may finally be sticking the set you sent me last year in place... I was just looking at how faded those stickers were...
    PachiTalk

chewy's motto: life is plumbing

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome back Chewy!!! We have really missed you. Looking forward to seeing posts on your next/latest projects.
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

10. The following user says "Thanks" to MrGneiss