Thread: Pachislo not able to ship to Colorado??

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Pachislo not able to ship to Colorado??

I have noticed on eBay several people selling Pachislo's won't ship to Colorado because they say it is illegal.

Is this true? Is this because we have gambling here?

But then others have the same states listed and Colorado isn't listed.

2. The following user says "Thanks" to Tazman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Pachislo not able to ship to Colorado??

They are mistaken. Colorado is not one of the states that ban the sale of slot machines. Pachislo machines use tokens - not quarters - so they shouldn't be banned in any of the states, but most sellers are not sure so they add that verbiage to their listing so the eBay police will not de-list their auction. (better safe than sorry)

You can try to educate a seller that slot machine sales are not banned in Colorado, but they may not believe you.
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

4. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to JACKSJE4

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Its true that a token is not a quarter, but in the end its up to the judge. Because regulations regarding pachislos are not explicitly written anywhere I think it could really go both ways.

6. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to ComatsuTrading

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I am not sure about Colorado, however in Virginia slot machines are fine as long as they do not use legal tender. The same rules apply to home poker games. I can hold a poker game as long as we do not play for money. Hence I have everyone put their money in pot in exchange for chips. They then cash out at the end of the night. One of my friends had a cash game a couple of years go and a neighbor called the cops on them. He had to pay a heavy fine and cold have served time.
    "Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
    Pachiholic and Proud!!! サメ

8. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Card Shark

Thanks
    Thanks Received

thats crazy, my friends play texas holdem for money all the time and there were never any problems. Though it might of been that their neighbors were doing the same.
    btw they are in northern virginia...

10. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to ComatsuTrading

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I know he had a problem with his neighbor for a long time. We play poker at my house a lot, we just use chips. Everyone buys in with cash and then cash's in the chips for cash at the end. I wasn't at the game when they got into trouble so I don't know everything that happened and what lead up to the cops being involved.
    "Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
    Pachiholic and Proud!!! サメ

12. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Card Shark

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hey Guys,

Rita from Blue Hotaru informed of new laws making it a little more difficult for Pachislo's to be sold to Colorado. She's opted to not sell to Colorado. However, and I'm not sure I should say this, Slot-Pachinko and Gaku still do. Robins Nest also has opted out.

To the moderators if this information shouldnt be revealed, feel free to delete this post. Just send me a message if this isnt appropriate.

14. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Microbus99

Thanks
    Thanks Received

In California, one of the more ridiculous states as far as gaming laws go, the penal code section banning slot machines does not limit itself to coins or money:

330.1(f) PC A slot machine or device within the meaning of Sections 330.1 to 330.5, inclusive, of this code is one that is, or may be, used or operated in such a way that, as a result of the insertion of any piece of money or coin or other object the machine or device is caused to operate or may be operated or played, mechanically, electrically, automatically or manually, and by reason of any element of hazard or chance, the user may receive or become entitled to receive anything of value or any check, slug, token, or memorandum, whether of value or otherwise, which may be given in trade, or the user may secure additional chances or rights to use such machine or device, irrespective of whether it may, apart from any element of hazard or chance, also sell, deliver or present some merchandise, indication of weight, entertainment or other thing of value.

However, while looking up this section, it appears there has been some recent alterations to the wording, since I recall previous verbiage referring to symbols lining up on reels or a drum. I found the following section that appears to eliminate pinballs and other amusement devices from the definition:

330.5 PC It is further expressly provided that Sections 330.1 to 330.4, inclusive, of this code shall not apply to music machines, weighing machines and machines which vend cigarettes, candy, ice cream, food, confections or other merchandise, in which there is deposited an exact consideration and from which in every case the customer obtains that which he purchases; and it is further expressly provided that with respect to the provisions of Sections 330.1 to 330.4, inclusive, only, of this code, pin ball, and other amusement machines or devices which are predominantly games of skill, whether affording the opportunity of additional chances or free plays or not, are not intended to be and are not included within the term slot machine or device as defined within Sections 330.1 to 330.4, inclusive, of this code.

It's interesting to read these sections and the legality of pachislos in CA is a little more vague to me. I see more and more appear on Craigslist here, with no apparent enforcement, whereas when I joined this forum in 2005, I was in contact with one of the forum members who had advertised on CG and had been raided, his three machines seized and destroyed, and prosecuted. Ultimately, he just suffered the loss of the machines with no other legal action taken against him.

It appears that enforcement here is either very lax, or non-existent. Maybe it's due to 330.5 PC? I can't imagine any of us, even if we wanted to, using pachislos as gambling devices, especially considering anyone who wanted to own a real one in CA legally just has to look for a 25 year old slot from Nevada. Although it would not be legal, it would not be difficult for any Californian to drive across the border and buy a machine that is only a few years old.
    A Hardy har har...

16. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to Meathead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
    In California, one of the more ridiculous states as far as gaming laws go, the penal code section banning slot machines does not limit itself to coins or money:

330.1(f) PC A slot machine or device within the meaning of Sections 330.1 to 330.5, inclusive, of this code is one that is, or may be, used or operated in such a way that, as a result of the insertion of any piece of money or coin or other object the machine or device is caused to operate or may be operated or played, mechanically, electrically, automatically or manually, and by reason of any element of hazard or chance, the user may receive or become entitled to receive anything of value or any check, slug, token, or memorandum, whether of value or otherwise, which may be given in trade, or the user may secure additional chances or rights to use such machine or device, irrespective of whether it may, apart from any element of hazard or chance, also sell, deliver or present some merchandise, indication of weight, entertainment or other thing of value.

However, while looking up this section, it appears there has been some recent alterations to the wording, since I recall previous verbiage referring to symbols lining up on reels or a drum. I found the following section that appears to eliminate pinballs and other amusement devices from the definition:

330.5 PC It is further expressly provided that Sections 330.1 to 330.4, inclusive, of this code shall not apply to music machines, weighing machines and machines which vend cigarettes, candy, ice cream, food, confections or other merchandise, in which there is deposited an exact consideration and from which in every case the customer obtains that which he purchases; and it is further expressly provided that with respect to the provisions of Sections 330.1 to 330.4, inclusive, only, of this code, pin ball, and other amusement machines or devices which are predominantly games of skill, whether affording the opportunity of additional chances or free plays or not, are not intended to be and are not included within the term slot machine or device as defined within Sections 330.1 to 330.4, inclusive, of this code.

It's interesting to read these sections and the legality of pachislos in CA is a little more vague to me. I see more and more appear on Craigslist here, with no apparent enforcement, whereas when I joined this forum in 2005, I was in contact with one of the forum members who had advertised on CG and had been raided, his three machines seized and destroyed, and prosecuted. Ultimately, he just suffered the loss of the machines with no other legal action taken against him.

It appears that enforcement here is either very lax, or non-existent. Maybe it's due to 330.5 PC? I can't imagine any of us, even if we wanted to, using pachislos as gambling devices, especially considering anyone who wanted to own a real one in CA legally just has to look for a 25 year old slot from Nevada. Although it would not be legal, it would not be difficult for any Californian to drive across the border and buy a machine that is only a few years old.
    after reading that i could see someone saying even Pachinko's are against the law hear in California..

ridiculous
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Meathead View Post

Wow!! You better keep your Pachislo and Pachinko machines hidden from the cops. No telling what might happen.
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by JACKSJE4 View Post
    Wow!! You better keep your Pachislo and Pachinko machines hidden from the cops. No telling what might happen.
    LOL ya Meathead this means YOU
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them

20. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Pachinko is absolutely fine in California, because it's pinball (it's got pins, it's got balls, it's pinball. DUH), because it is a game of skill (in setting the launch power) to aim the ball into the slot, and because it dispenses balls. Spins are bonuses, and a minimum award of balls happens for even a failing spin. They are legal three times over.

Pachislot is CORRECTLY prohibited under California law, because it is not primarily a game of skill (the reels slip often). And the spirit of the law is to only allow antiques that are a part of California history, which pachislot is NOT.

I do think that some recent changes to colorado may be interfering with the ability to ship them here. too bad.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by _Zaphod_ View Post
    Pachinko is absolutely fine in California, because it's pinball (it's got pins, it's got balls, it's pinball. DUH), because it is a game of skill (in setting the launch power) to aim the ball into the slot, and because it dispenses balls. Spins are bonuses, and a minimum award of balls happens for even a failing spin. They are legal three times over.

Pachislot is CORRECTLY prohibited under California law, because it is not primarily a game of skill (the reels slip often). And the spirit of the law is to only allow antiques that are a part of California history, which pachislot is NOT.

I do think that some recent changes to colorado may be interfering with the ability to ship them here. too bad.
    NY Times says they are legal in CA if not rigged to use currency; all that legal mumbo jumbo leaves a LOT of grey area:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/24/ga...lots.html?_r=0

Who around here has had their Pachislos confiscated by the cops from their home recently?
    Last edited by lotsoballs; 04-20-2015 at 04:47 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

that article is old.

Most sellers of them will not ship them to CA. Some no longer trust colorado either.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by _Zaphod_ View Post
    that article is old.

Most sellers of them will not ship them to CA. Some no longer trust colorado either.
    Hmmm... there's tons of them for sale in CA and CO on Craigslist....call the police!

I find it amusing the states with the most lax (awesome?) drug laws are such Nazis when it come to pachislo apparently...

25. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to lotsoballs

Gibisans - Japan West compirate's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Don't want people thinking it's a snack machine and losing all their money

人生は恐れなければ、とても素晴らしいものなんだよ。
    人生に必要なもの。それは勇気と想像力、そして少しのお金だ。

27. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to compirate

Thanks
    Thanks Received

well no one reports you, you don't get in trouble. as long as you are careful who you let see them, it's not much of an issue. but a typical friend won't go "ACK! EVIL GAMBLIGN MACHINE! MUST CALL COPS!"

Thanks
    Thanks Received

my best sale was to a somewhat local cali leo.. no names need be posted

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by lotsoballs View Post
    Who around here has had their Pachislos confiscated by the cops from their home recently?
    Sadly there have been members in the past that have lost their machines..

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

31. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It was years ago but I had a pachislo in the living room plugged in seen from the street and I got a knock on the door and waa told to unplug it. I put a bally money honey in the same spot (over 25 yeats old). Never got a knock on the door for almost 10 years.
    This grey area was made worse when they legalized indian casinos about 15 years ago. If they state would not let the casonos have them noone should.
    Hakuma Mutata