Thread: Flying with Pachinko Machines?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Flying with Pachinko Machines?

My wife and I are taking a trip to Japan in September and I'm curious about how to get Pachinko machines back to the states on our return flight. I'm expecting it'd have to be excess baggage (then again, I may only need one suitcase, leaving another bag available). I'm shocked at how cheap the machines are over there, and would love to bring a good chunk of them back, but am not really sure how I'd manage that through a flight. Any suggestions/ideas? Trying to find the cheapest way of handling all this and getting some great modern machines.

2. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to wandererwillow

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Flying with Pachinko Machines?

i would have to make a few guesses..

Frist im going to guess that a pachinko is going to be to big for you to take on a plane... Just a guess

second.. i doubt your going to be able to find a machine for sale... i doubt theres a pachinko store on any corner.. It sounds like a wonderfull plan.. and i hope it works for ya.. Please Please let us all know when you return..
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

4. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I've been to japan before (spent 2 years living there) so I know that the marketplaces tend to sell them if you go to the bigger ones. As far as a carry-on, definitely not. Depending on weight and size, I could possibly box them up and bring them as checked baggage or possibly even cargo. I'm just trying to see if anyone has done this before.

I wish I knew of the amazing fun that pachinko was when I lived there, I'd have bought machines like crazy and the military would have shipped all my stuff back to the states for FREE...

6. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to wandererwillow

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Post Re: Flying with Pachinko Machines?

Quote Originally Posted by wandererwillow View Post
    I wish I knew of the amazing fun that pachinko was when I lived there, I'd have bought machines like crazy and the military would have shipped all my stuff back to the states for FREE...
    Ouch!!!

OK - first, nice to meet a fellow ex-pat. I was there for 3 years, teaching.

Second, as you already know, there are many private retailers who sell machines s/hand around Tokyo. Just grab a copy of Pachinko Hissou off the newstands when you arrive (I'm assuming you read some Japanese?) and look up the vendors advertised in there. They should be able to ship to your hotel, depending on how long you are staying, by Black Cat or Yamato etc. If you have a car, you can pickup yourself of course. If you stay in the right hotel (I can give you a great tip here), the english speaking receptionist will do all the hard work for you on the phone with the vendor and orgainse payment etc and delivery to where you are.

Third, getting it home. Australian's have a low cost airline here called JetStar (division of QANTAS). They allow you to buy an extra 10kgs of luggage weight when you purchase your ticket (or slightly after) for about US$90. With a total of 30+kgs available to you, if you come back from Japan with no personal luggage (except hand luggage) BUT a single pachinko machine (ie. your wife/partner carries all your other stuff for you), they will happily carry that for you for 'free'. In this way, very keen pachinko fans can freely import a single machine into Aus and skip import taxes and freight costs. It can be done.

Assuming this is an option that you can make work in the States, then you just need to get it wrapped and to the airport with you - obviously the trains are out and the taxi fare would be prohibitive (unless you are based in Chiba, near the airport?). If you had a car, that would be best. Or someone who can drop you out there?

Good luck.
    Last edited by candyflip; 01-18-2012 at 09:47 PM.
    There is always another machine around the corner...

8. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to candyflip

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Where are you going in Japan? Come visit us in Osaka and we will sell you a machine as well as well packed box!!
    But seriously though, its going to be hard to find a store that will sell the machines, not saying that its not possible
    but you will need to spend a lot of time which will be a waste since you are on vacation!!

ONE MORE ISSUE, these things are heavy...30+kg for the machine itself
    and then you add the packaging and then it becomes like 1000kg...

10. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to ComatsuTrading

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'm not 100% sure yet, I was mostly in Okinawa when I was there, but we're definitely looking at locations throughout Tokyo, with Osaka being one. Like I said, I know the stores wont sell them, but I know the big marketplaces they have sometimes have vendors selling them (I found quite a few in Okinawa, and I still kick myself for passing up ones for 4000-5000 yen ones, especially with the conversion rate at that point).

However, the biggest worry was, in fact, weight. Damn. I really wish these things weren't that expensive to ship over. It almost makes me want to see if I can contact any military buddies and have them pop a few in one of their shipping crates. I've been looking at cargo shipping rates and ways to possibly ship them on the plane back, hoping maybe that'd be a better way to go, but it looks like United charges 400 to do that PER PACKAGE. Singapore Airlines seems a lot more lenient, but I'll have to call them and get information. I wasn't sure if it'd be something I could just bring as an excess bag and pay the additional $50 for, or if it'd weigh in over the limit. I'm still open for opinions and options, but appreciate all the help so far!

12. The following user says "Thanks" to wandererwillow

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Grab any one of these at any Kinokuniya you come across while there (and grab a few for me while you're at it, would you?) :

http://www.amazon.co.jp/パ&#12...944872&sr=8-34

http://www.amazon.co.jp/パ&#12...945057&sr=8-26

They should be loaded with vendors, near and far, for good s/hand machines, some with stock of machines much older than 2010/11 models.

61I1RXNAUbL._SL500_AA300_.jpg 61pJITt6C4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    There is always another machine around the corner...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Maybe you could stop by here on your way

it is located in Tokyo. Higashi-Ueno district; an area known as pachinkomura (pachinko village).

My dad stopped there on a trip to japan. He couldn't believe it. All the big name pachinko companies all withing builds of each other.

Don't forget to stop here if you visit there.
    http://www.wakonet.co.jp/topics/t-pa...t-patinko.html if you stop by please take some pictures and post them. I didn't find this till my dad came back from his trip. It turns out he was on the other side of the block from it. (only 2 minutes away. )

Also if you want to by tools for machines stop by this place. http://www.ohirasyoukai.com/ (Note they deal in cash only most vendors do.)

100 machines and counting...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'll more than likely get a load of goodies to bring back one way or another, pachinko and otherwise, and I'll both share pictures and possibly sell/trade some other things I bring back

16. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to wandererwillow

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by wandererwillow View Post
    I'll more than likely get a load of goodies to bring back one way or another, pachinko and otherwise, and I'll both share pictures and possibly sell/trade some other things I bring back

Heck I would love to have some of those magazines showing all the Pachinko machines!
    If you get some, I'll be happy to buy a few from you.
    My wife and I will visit her family at some point after her 1 year review and then we will be going to
    her country the Philippines and we might be able to justify a 3 day trip to Japan as we have both always wanted to go.
    It'll be hard for her to get the 3 weeks off tho. This can't be until after November of 2012.

Maybe having someone like Comatsu ship what you buy back here might be a better solution.
    Maybe for a fee they would ship what you buy in a container with their own stuff?
    It can't hurt to ask.
    There might be other ways to get a shipping company to put it in a container for you as well.

18. The following user says "Thanks" to Steve Cebu

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Maybe having someone like Comatsu ship what you buy back here might be a better solution.
    This, right here, is not a bad idea at all. Never thought to talk to someone that's already sending shipments as it is.

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

For information. The maison ikkoku machine I just had shipped weighed in at 28kg before any packaging. Depending on your luggage allowance and extra fees. At least it gives you a figure to work with. I know here for long haul flights to Philippines they charge an extra £40 per kilo.
    Ian #UKPachinko