Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1976 Nishijin Elex Rotary hybird model A vintage. AKA the coolest vintage I have

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default 1976 Nishijin Elex Rotary hybird model A vintage. AKA the coolest vintage I have

I picked this machine up for $100 today including gas. It is a fully electric payout system and has to be one of the first machines with the shooter knob. It has a normal 24 vold plug and the taps for the 10 volt system that is on most vintage machines. The 10v side looks to only be for the "stop" out of balls light and the signal feed for the parlor with the 24v side running the shooter, all the payout bits, a bell for when you get a jackpot and the internal ball lifter... yes, it has a ball lifter in it!

The guy I got it from said that his dad collected pachinko in the 70's and 80's when they lived in Florida but sadly most of the machines were lost in a hurricane. This one survived due to the fact it was in storage as he was afraid to mess with the electric supply. Marc is moving and was looking to have as little to move as he can so I lucked out. It is in great shape and all the internals are clean, it has a lot of dust from sitting in storage but there is no tar or ball tracking in it at all.

Here are the first set of pics, the center feature works just like the monkey and croc one, the block guy drops when you get a ball in the top center and falls through then the block guy goes back up. The ape at the bottom is mounted on a brass spring so when the ball drops out of the moving block guy (I need to figure out what it is called) and hits the spring the ape trembles like it is afraid, very cool.

balls that go through the center open the middle tulip and the mid left or right one alternately while balls going into one of the side pockets on the center feature open the outside tulip on the same side.

It is an "all 11" payout but the block in the jackpot can be held out of the way making it an "all 15" machine

I will make another post (or two, I took a lot of pics) showing how the payout works as this is a very unique system that I doubt any of us have seen. I am hoping one of the vintage masters will have some info on this style that they can share

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by owennewton; 01-11-2012 at 06:20 AM. Reason: I need to learn to spell, or proof read
    the

LLTR

2. The following 17 users say "Thanks" to owennewton

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: 1976 Nishijin Elex Rotary hybird model A vintage. AKA the coolest vintage I

Rad!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

4. The following user says "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: 1976 Nishijin Elex Rotary hybird model A vintage. AKA the coolest vintage I

I have a Kan Less where the back is exactly the same. Mine however was "lightly abused" and is lucky to still work...but still does. It needs lots of work. It sounds funny to hear a "doorbell" ring when you hit a jackpot! WOW! 5 tulips! Lucky you!model A electric 003.jpg OK, now that I pulled up a pic of mine...I have 4 tulips...you still have me beat by 1, and a cooler center feature, and cleaner, and not abused! But I am still very happy with mine. If it didn't need any work...then I probably wouldn't be happy with it at all! Someone added a button to simulate a jackpot. If you want I can dig it out and take a pic of where to add a switch. Mine is mounted in the grille below the tray, I would have picked something more subtle...Like a magnetic reed switch. Mopar worked on one for someone else... it had some electrical differences from mine. I'll ask you about that later...too tired to think...must sleep!

6. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Cool machine Owen...

what do ya think if the vintage with an electro shooter handle...
    Last edited by Moparformances; 01-11-2012 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

8. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The first shooter knobs were released in 1973, but no one in the parlors liked them. It took years before they became popular. Hard to find 1970's machines in the US with knobs, but it seems more and more of these Elex Rotary's are coming to light every day.

10. The following user says "Thanks" to Rival

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Way cool machine and an awesome addition to your collection!! It's finding machines like this that make the hobby so fun and rewarding. I look forward to learning more about it.
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

12. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to JACKSJE4

Thanks
    Thanks Received

VERY NICE
    IMAGINATION IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN KNOWLEDGE

14. The following user says "Thanks" to yose

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Okay, so I love how this machine works (at least how it should work... I will find out when I give it power)

The seesaw works like in any other vintage (shown here with the low ball level block holding it)

but instead of the normal lever the ball rests on this switch against a block,

the switch triggers a solenoid that dumps the jackpot

the jackpot balls roll over this switch

triggering this solenoid that lets the winning ball go to the bottom front tray and resetting the seesaw

It is a very simple setup and I am amazed at how well it was designed. Here is a shot of the rest of the electronics. Everything looks good, no burns or bulging caps so I feel comvertabl giving it power when I find that transformer I know is here someplace.

And here is the "ball lifter" It is a motor on a reduction drive with a spoked wheel and a curved channel that lifts losing balls that fall through the drain up to a ramp that takes them back to the lower tray.

more in the next post
    Last edited by owennewton; 01-12-2012 at 01:45 AM. Reason: I forgot some words here and there
    the

LLTR

16. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to owennewton

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The shooter is neat, it has a micro switch that closes when you turn the handle starting the motor. The shooter spring is attached to this string

that is also connected to the handle at the other end so as you turn the handle it winds the string up stretching the spring.

Here are some pics of the shooter motor for Mopar

and some close up pics with the covers back on

if anyone wants more pics or other angles just say so and I will do my best
    Last edited by owennewton; 01-12-2012 at 01:54 AM. Reason: just to make the pics bigger this time
    the

LLTR

18. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to owennewton

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Very cool Pachi!

20. The following user says "Thanks" to Steve Cebu

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Looks great Really clean too
    Ian #UKPachinko

22. The following user says "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

<p>
    It is very clean, I spent the last hour or so cleaning the dust and sticky crud off but there is no dirt or even wear inside. It is clear this was not a popular machine in the parlor and I doubt it was in use very long as clean and perfect as it is inside. I am now working on hooking a transformer up to it. Took me forever to find the thing.</p>
    the

LLTR

Thanks
    Thanks Received

hooked up the transformer and... nothing. I checked the fuse and it looked fine but was open. I don't have any 3 amp fuses so I tried again with a 2 amp and it popped so I unhooked the payout (with the rectifier) and tried again with the 1 amp fuse from the 10 volt side and the shooter works great but as soon as the other circuit was plugged in it popped. so tomorrow I will get some 3 amp fuses, unplug everything and try it adding one part at a time. I am hoping that it is just me using the under rated fuse but even if the rectifier is fried I think I have the components sitting around to rebuild it. my only real worry is that it could be the motor for the ball lifter but I will think positively tonight.
    the

LLTR

25. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to owennewton

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I found a fuse so I started troubleshooting. the motors are fine and run but with just the circuit board hooked up it blew the fuse again. I started testing things and all 4 diodes in the rectifier test as dead short so I think Marc (or his dad) plugged it into line current. I will replace the rectifier diodes and test from there I guess.

the

LLTR

27. The following user says "Thanks" to owennewton

Thanks
    Thanks Received

With no ICs it should be easier to follow the voltage to find a faulty component. One more box of 10 fuses please. If I get time I
    want to translate the text. For info and practice. But I get if on the pc for too long.
    Ian #UKPachinko

29. The following user says "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thank you for this thread owennewton. I've been very curious how the automatic shooter works and your pics explain a lot.
    I know you'll get your machine working perfectly.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The shooter is cool, it has 2 plastic cams that pull back the hammer and as the cam slides past the contact arm it lets go. I still have not found the bits needed for the circuit board but I am sure I can rebuild it (even if I need to go to the shack I can replace everything but the relay for less than $10)
    the

LLTR

32. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to owennewton

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I found two bridge rectifiers in my junk electronics pile but with the pinouts I would need to have a sub board mounted somewhere. I went ahead and pulled the diodes off and three tested as dead shorted while the fourth is open so I am off to the shack in the morning to get some good old fashioned components and fuses.

As soon as I have this circuit fixed then I need to figure out how to get the motor for the lifter out and troubleshoot the gear box
    the

LLTR

34. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to owennewton

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by owennewton View Post

Ok I'll give it ago. Anyone is free to correct me.

Notice

1. Please adjust dial for motorized action.
    2. Please do not jam the dial action.

National Committee on transportation business associations
    Japanese Mechanic Game Union
    Ian #UKPachinko

36. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I replaced the rectifier diodes with 50 volt 3 amp ones from the shack (a little bigger but still close to the originals) I had to drill the holes out a little bigger for the legs and damaged two traces on the board at the same time but careful soldering and a small jumper took care of that issue. I hooked everything back up and gave it power... no pop, shooter works so I dropped a ball in the jackpot. Some clicks, balls poured from the jackpot and a buzzer and electric bell went off everything works perfectly!

Except the rotary ball lifter, the motor just sits there making a small grinding noise and if I try to turn the wheel with a screwdriver in the opening it will not budge so something is amiss in the drive train. Just as I was starting to feel bummed I spotted a bypass that lets loosing played balls drain out the back like on a "B" rather than go to the lifter and recycled back into the lower reward tray in the back. So as it sits I have a 95% perfect machine that is fully playable. I will just use the bypass and unplug the buggy motor for now (aka forever )

I will try to get some video of it in action as it is rather neat, rad and cool.
    the

LLTR

38. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to owennewton

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast