Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My Freestanding Pachinko Cabinet Design; Need Advice!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default My Freestanding Pachinko Cabinet Design; Need Advice!

Hi everyone I'm looking for advice regarding this design. I had a pro carpenter come by and work with me on a design.
    I'm thinking a freestanding cabinet that is easily moved would be better than just a stand that you have to find the correct height table to put it on.
    Also my wife is short and has trouble with 30" high stools so she wants something that will work for a 24" high stool instead.
    The top section uses plexiglass but will likely be modified for a clip on LED light to go there as I own the lights already.
    I'm also concerned that the feet might get in the way but the guy says it's a lot more stable with them.
    Ideas? suggestions?
    Thanks

bottom-left.jpg
    front.jpg
    top-left.jpg

2. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to Steve Cebu

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: My Freestanding Pachinko Cabinet Design; Need Advice!

Looks good and yes, the feet are very important. Remember, if the machine is swung open all the weight will be way out from center and it could tip over. I have one standalone cabinet and if there was not a vintage machine in each side it would be very tippy (like it was when I got it with only one machine in it)
    the

LLTR

4. The following user says "Thanks" to owennewton

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I like it

I would put a lid on the ball hopper to keep any dust out..

and possable a cabint door and a few shelfs under the drawer for storage...

the feet are a must have... its going to be really top heavy..
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

6. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by owennewton View Post
    Looks good and yes, the feet are very important. Remember, if the machine is swung open all the weight will be way out from center and it could tip over. I have one standalone cabinet and if there was not a vintage machine in each side it would be very tippy (like it was when I got it with only one machine in it)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moparformances View Post
    I like it

I would put a lid on the ball hopper to keep any dust out..

and possable a cabint door and a few shelfs under the drawer for storage...

the feet are a must have... its going to be really top heavy..

Thanks
    It's good to know that the feet are essential. This guy knows how heavy the pachinko machines can be. Now I'll have to find keys as well as a lock, as one is missing.
    Shouldn't be too hard. I might just get a local locksmith to get me something that will work. Are they all the same size lock or are teh diameters different?
    I agree about the dust lid and the shelves and door but cost is a factor. All those things are possible but these are being built so I don't want to make them too
    expensive. I have no idea what this is going to cost to build yet, it probably won't be cheap and I'll still have to get it sorted as to how to get the balls into the tray underneath the hopper
    and how to get them to drop into the drawer without spilling all over the place.

I'm going to try and use a blast gate on the hopper as well. Hopefully it will work.

8. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Steve Cebu

Thanks
    Thanks Received

If you don't like the looks of the feet you could always make the bottom cabinet bigger than the top.On my first cabinet I used a funnel to catch the waste balls into a plastic tub. It worked quite well.I do like the design of your cabinet.The bugs get worked out as you go along.
    IMAGINATION IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN KNOWLEDGE

10. The following user says "Thanks" to yose

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks yose, it's a work in progress. I have to figure out a few things as well as order a blast gate.
    The reason for not going with a bigger cabinet bottom is cost it would really up the price.
    I'm trying to figure out the funnel system now but the balls will just go into a drawer
    which serves the function of holding the balls and then you pull the whole drawer out and
    dump it into the hopper.
    I really like the Plexi but I'll price it with and without. I'm going to need quite a few of these
    So cost is a big factor. Maybe if the guy can make them affordable I can sell them!
    Considering I lost my job recently due to the plant closing.

Either way I'll still need 10 of these or so and I like the idea that I can switch machines by
    moving the whole cabinet and that way arranging the room with new Pachi will be easy.
    One Pachi per stand then slide it to wherever I need it. I'll be using adjustable feet with
    felt pads. I have wood floors so sliding it will be a breeze.

I have to order a blast gate today then figure out how to install it, and hope it works.
    The section of a Pachi where you drop your winnings has something very similar to a blast gate.
    It sure beats emptying the hopper everytime you need to open the machine up.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It sucks to lose your job .I know I lost mine almost 2 years ago .unemployment really sucks.I've turned into mr.mom.Ithank god my wife has her job. Back to the cabinet,I started with a drawer but it was such a pain pulling it out to dump the balls.Ifinally slanted the bottom of it so the balls gather to one side ,then put a smaller hinged door on the front held shut by magnets .Now I just open the little door and the balls fall into a cup and I dump the cup into the hopper.This hobby is truly a work in progress, every cabinet changes for the better.Almost all of my cabinets are made from scrap lumber and pallets.Anyway just a few ideas to make you think.It's great you are enjoying the machines.

13. The following user says "Thanks" to yose

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thans yose, I see what you mean about the drawer but the only other option is to have a PVC tube running down to a bucket of some sort and that would make having a ball lifter a possibility. Although I'm uncertain of how high this will all be. I know ball lifters max out at 4 feet, at least most of them.
    It might be better than using a drawer tho. Buckets are cheaper and replaceable. Drawers cost money to make. But wow would those balls clack going down a PVC tube.
    I might just look into that, probably have to have a 3-4" PVC at the top and funnel into a 2" pipe and drop it into a bucket under the cabinet. I wonder if this would make the unit top heavy tho?
    You know all the balls would be at the top in the hopper.
    But adding a ball lifter later on would be crazy easy if the height is ok.

Thanks for the ideas!

My wife is the only one working right now. Jobs are scarce up here and manufacturing is dead. Time for a new career.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Cebu View Post
    Now I'll have to find keys as well as a lock, as one is missing.
    Shouldn't be too hard. I might just get a local locksmith to get me something that will work. Are they all the same size lock or are teh diameters different?
    Do you want a key for the lock on the machine; or are you going to use a different lock all together? If you want one for the machine I figured out a blank that works for a Nishijin Model A or B (non-magnetic. aka the locks from 74 or earlier will work)

I wrote about it in this thread. http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/vint...ijin-lock.html (the thread didn't get much attention and fell to the bottom of the list. )

Also if you need a lock for a machine I may have a spare for a Nishijin. (send me a PM if you want it)

-Max

100 machines and counting...

16. The following user says "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks Max, I don't have a Nishijin tho. I have a vintage Maruhon and two moderns and a pachislo. I do have modern Maruhon and it has no lock at all, just a key. The Sankyo is also a modern and has no key and the Julie that is on the way is coming with a key.
    So if you have a key for a vintage maruhon that would be great!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks Max, I don't have a Nishijin tho. I have a vintage Maruhon and two moderns and a pachislo. I do have modern Maruhon and it has no lock at all, just a key. The Sankyo is also a modern and has no key and the Julie that is on the way is coming with a key.
    Well I'd just thought I'd post it.

I'll give up the lock on my Maruhon on one condition. I need a lower tray for it I got the ashtray I just need the rest of the tray.

100 machines and counting...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ah yeah sorry, I really need the one tray, but if I had a spare you'd be welcome to it.

20. The following user says "Thanks" to Steve Cebu

Thanks
    Thanks Received

oops I totally forgot to put the key in the box with Julie

I will mail it tomorrow as I can just tape it into a letter.

Sorry about that
    the

LLTR

22. The following user says "Thanks" to owennewton

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ok thanks, I appreciate that as I will really need it.

On an related note I've decided to nix the drawer and use PVC pipe and have the balls drop into a bucket underneath.
    My thinking is 4,000 balls and then you hit several fevers in a row that can mean what 24,000 balls or so.
    If I had a drawer I'd have to dump the drawer into a bucket and then put the drawer back, then fill the hopper
    which would instantly empty and rinse and repeat. Using a bucket or rather 2 buckets store 1 bucket inside the
    other one until needed would work pretty well.

The big question is do I put a door on the front to hide the bucket which is more $$$$ to build
    or leave it open?

The guy also wants to use oak or birch plywood to save money over pine or hardwood to keep the costs
    down.

Any thoughts on that guys?

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The plywood is actually stronger than regular wood because of the cross graining in plywood . Good choice.I think leaving the front open could be designed to enhance the action by decorating the tube and bucket as a part of the cabinet.

25. The following user says "Thanks" to yose

Thanks
    Thanks Received

That's what I was thinking as it's only 12" deep. However the guy sent me a quote and he wants $400 to build one for me! So that isn't going to happen.
    I would actually like to design something I might be able to sell, but there isn't any money in a cabinet. The cost even doing it yourself doesn't allow
    for enough of a profit margin, essentially you'd be making them for free.
    I still need to get cabinets but it's obvious this guy is too expensive.

I have been toying with the idea of making a ball lifter, that would have some potential in it. Time will tell.

27. The following user says "Thanks" to Steve Cebu

Thanks
    Thanks Received

They really aren't hard to build . Places like home depot or lowes will cut the wood to the sizes you need, then you would just have to assemble it with screws or glue or both.I know people who have gone to high school shop classes and have had students make projects for them at just the cost of the materials and a small wage for the student making the project.

29. The following user says "Thanks" to yose

Thanks
    Thanks Received

That's a good idea!
    I just might try the high school or something like that. I'd actually like to take a class and learn to do it myself but they don't offer any courses in my area. At least not at this time.

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

For $400 I'd build you 2!!

I mostly just used 1x10s and 1x6s to build my floor standing cabinets and they cost under $30 each to make..

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

32. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yeah the guy is just too greedy. My wife came up with an even better idea, it will cost us about $70 for the table and maybe $35 for parts and we will have a ball system that will take all the balls from 6 pachinko machines and put them in a single bucket. The Pachi will be 3 in a row and back to back. I really hurt my neck so it's slow going today but I'm already at work on a feeder system that will supply all those machines with balls and you'd be able to watch the balls going to the machines!
    Of course that will cost more than $35. I have also found aluminum channels that will not jam with balls I have done a few tests and so far no matter how many balls I put down it it doesn't jam. Sadly I only have 3 channels that are about 40" long. They are also 40 years old and no idea if I can buy more.
    We are going to do a 1,200 ball dump on the channel later today to see if we cat get it to bind. That's 1,200 balls which if the 200 balls we used last night (about 3am) went through it like crap through a goose. Unfortunately the balls sped up like crazy and the end my wife was managing ended up shooting balls all over the floor.

This should be fun with 1,200 balls! We will likely need a BIG bucket!

PS: Do you have any pics of your freestanding cabinets?

34. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Steve Cebu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast