Thread: 1965 ? Maruto - and I'm all new to this!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default 1965(?) Maruto - and I'm all new to this!

Dear List!
    While shopping for presents, I came across this machine - I really didn't know anything about them, except it
    'talked' to me and I had to purchase it as a project for the Holidays - always liking a mechnical challenge
    Now I turn to you as a resource!

Pictures attached, a label in lower left has 1965 patent information (image3).
    Before starting I have some questions for which I could not find answers. And thanks for many posts on history and video showing operation.

The window door frame seems to have two slots in the frame - what is the purpose?
    It came without the balls - where can I get some - I may not need them in a while, though!
    The 1st image shows two missing 'features' - does anyone have a detail picture which I could use to make
    parts off - I guess one is the Tulip catcher, the other one the dispenser?

Anything I should not try to do - can the surface be cleaned somewhat without destroying the colors?
    No lubrication, I assume.

Happy Holidays and I am sure I'll have more questions soon - THANKS!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The following 9 users say "Thanks" to wozz

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: 1965(?) Maruto - and I'm all new to this!

Welcome to the Pachinko Club!! Thanks for taking some time to join the site. You have come to the right place for assistance.

Here are some quick responses to your questions:

The window door frame seems to have two slots in the frame - what is the purpose? .; In the Pachinko parlors, the machines had two pieces of glass that were separated by 1/4 to 1/2 inch. This was to help prevent cheaters from using magnetic rings to direct balls into the jackpot holes. For recreational use, you only need one piece of glass inserted into the slot closest to teh play field in order to get the machine to work correctly.

It came without the balls - where can I get some - eBay is the best source for Pachinko balls. For an older single ball machine such as yours, 500 balls should be enough. If you can get them for .04-.05 cents per ball after shipping charges are calculated in, then you got a fair deal.

The 1st image shows two missing 'features' - does anyone have a detail picture which I could use to make - There was a tulip in the lower center of the play field, but finding one that will line up with the nail holes may be a challenge. I have tried to use newer tulips on older machines, but the shape of the metal bezel is slightly different. As for the other missing feature, it is/was a clear plastic half tube that allowed the balls to travel from the hole on the right to the hole on the left. If a player won several jackpots in succession, the winning balls would stack up in the half tube so the player could see them, and then the player would flip a switch near the ball entry hole on the frame to "lift" the next winning ball in the jackpot payout sequence.

Anything I should not try to do - can the surface be cleaned somewhat without destroying the colors? No lubrication, I assume. - You are correct - no lubricants of any kind are needed, and they will gum up the machine if you do use them. If a moving part has friction or isn't working correctly, you should take it apart and clean the contact points. As for the play field, I use a light amount 409 on an old cotton T-shirt. You want to avoid spraying anything directly on the play field as moisture will get under the laminate around the nails and stain it permanently. Check out this thread for tips on cleaning your machine: http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/vint...o-machine.html

Again, welcome to our Pachinko community. You will find the most friendly and experienced help here. All we request in return is lots of pictures of your machine and progress.

Jeff
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

4. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to JACKSJE4

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well it looks like you got answers to most of your questions. But If you have any more feel free to ask, we are here to help.

100 machines and counting...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to Pachitalk
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to PachiTalk!!

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

WELCOME!!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

Thanks
    Thanks Received

WELCOME TO PACHITALK
    IMAGINATION IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN KNOWLEDGE

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thank you all for the Welcome and the valuable information I received!

As mentioned before I had no exposures to these machines from Japan when growing up in Germany, but any visitors we have now immediately talk about having or knowing someone who had one of these machines in the 60s or 70s!

The cleaning makes good progress and the play field starts to look a lot more attractive. After inspecting the back I think it is quite complete and I started cleaning without disassembly first (how could one even disassemble the central parts - it is soldered together).

There seems to be a small 'modification' which disables the switch and lever which senses the balls in the top (attachment). How is it supposed to work, can you point me to a picture?
    Also a picture of the tulip and the clear tube on the lower right would be appreciated.

Do you replace the rubber stopper for the spring loaded handle? What is the criteria to adjust the spring tension? In my machine the 'hammer' which hits the balls is a spring - there is no cap or protector, is this the way they were?

I assume the blue labes with Japanese text was attached by the exporter - it was attached to the upper right in the play field.

cheers - W
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. The following user says "Thanks" to wozz

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I may be able to answer a few of your questions.

Do you replace the rubber stopper for the spring loaded handle? That depends. I'm assuming you are talking about one of the 3 on the back. If they aren't there yes you should replace them. If they are hard or cracking; you should also replace them. But if they are still somewhat squishy and you see no signs of cracking leave them alone. If you do need to replace them Billy at http://www.vintagepachinko.com makes reproduction ones that should work.

What is the criteria to adjust the spring tension?Well there should be a long tab attached to the spring. That tab has holes in it. And there should be a nail that goes into those holes. Basically the hole closest to the spring makes it tighter. And the one farthest makes it looser. Basically the spring limits the amount of force the hammer hits with. Which then varies how far the ball shoots onto the playfield. So you have to play with it till you feel a point where you like the balls dropping on the playfield. (I like to have my machines so the balls fall in about the middle.)

In my machine the 'hammer' which hits the balls is a spring - there is no cap or protector, is this the way they were? Yes that is origninal there is a spring attached to a metal arm. Nothing else. (though that is just the hammer.) If the spring is rusty you should soak it in some CLR. Member Rival crated a video showing how to get the whole shooter assembly off if you need to do that. Here is a link to that video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=iEZ3KpAUkSc

I assume the blue labes with Japanese text was attached by the exporter. Probably not. It was most likely done in the factory where they were built or by the parlor owner who bought the machine. But a lot of importers and exporters did slap on a few extra stickers.

If you have any more question just ask.

100 machines and counting...

13. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman