Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: i've been hacked--warning!!!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: i've been hacked--warning!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    In regards to the Malware coming from Pachitalk... just saying or declaring that the PT is infected without pointing out exact details of where and or what happened is like saying the sky is falling the sky is falling.

as for the ads, our ads are provided by Google Adsense, they are reputable(industry leader in web advertising).. does this mean that there wont be issues from time to time. nope.. but they are reputable.
    to Sid's point and to clarify my last post above, we really do not know where this malware is coming from or how it propagates to your computer. It could be from innocent advertisements or videos that have been secretly tainted, or it could be from an infected pdf file from a reputable source. It could also be attached to an innocent looking .JPG file that opened without question. There are many known exploits and security holes in Java, Flash, Adobe PDF's and .JPEG's that a hacker could use to transmit the installer. The propeller heads in my company have been working overtime for weeks to try and determine how it is infiltrating our computers and environment, but as of this post they have not been able to pinpoint a source with any certainty.

As for PachiTalk, I am on the site every day for many hours at a time and I have not been infected with this latest version of malware while a few other members have. I personally feel confident that PT is not the source, otherwise every member that visited the site (including myself) would be infected. It is highly likely that those members who were infected received the "seed" file from another source, possibly hours or days prior to infection, then happened to be viewing PachiTalk when the malware took over. It's hard to say for sure.

I will gladly keep you all posted with any new information I learn about this malware from the propeller heads in my company. In the meantime, keep your virus and malware software updated and current, and be careful where you "surf".
    Last edited by JACKSJE4; 01-02-2012 at 09:56 AM.
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

2. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to JACKSJE4

Thanks
    Thanks Received

One more note... I have been recommending to my work "customers" to delete their temporary Internet files daily, as most infections that come through your internet browsing leave their installers and seed files in your browsing history folder. It's not a "silver bullet" solution, but it helps reduce the risk of infection.

1) Open Control Panel
    2) Launch the Internet Options applet
    3) Under the 'Browsing History' section, click on the Delete button
    4) Under the "Temporary Internet Files' section, click Delete Files, then Yes
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

4. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to JACKSJE4

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The file it is putting into the PC is under "PC Name"/"AppData"/Local/Temp/. I was able to manually find the file when a program I was running found it. There were several files in that folder that were causing problems and each was identified they were identified as Trogans.

Java has been wanting to update ever since this happened and my firewall is blocking it, so far.

Also "Anonymous" is attacking certain sites that are supporting SOPA so maybe it's fallout from that? Maybe Google is supporting SOPA?
    I don't know.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3