Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hokoku

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Hokoku

Since we seem to have switched to cameras... here is an old film camera I bought for $10.00!experiment 096.JPG I believe it was made prior to WWII because it is marked "GERMANY" as opposed to WEST GERMANY.experiment 101.JPGexperiment 100.JPG OOPS! "printed" both! The lens telescopes for pics...and collapses for storage/transport.experiment 098.JPGexperiment 099.JPG It is all mechanical, with no batteries or light meter. When you set a long shutter speed, you "cock" the shutter with 1 lever which winds a spring...Then press the shutter release. The shutter opens, you hear the spring and gears unwind, then CLICK the shutter closes! It it truly a work of art! experiment 097.JPG The body is wrapped in Italian leather. (some guy who collects cameras said it was Italian leather) I took some pics with it and guessed at the exposure, and "bracketed" my shots to make sure. I never developed them yet.

2. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Wow that's a real beauty! It's an old style rangefinder camera.
    Similar design like today.
    Here is a modern rangefinder camera. Rangefinders were mostly used by tourists and had a much higher zoom.

http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/Ol...es/EP1_pen.jpg

These pics are of a new one and the one on the right is an older one. Yours is an antique.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

If I'm not mistaken, a rangefinder has a double exposure that merges into a single image when focus is correct. I dont know where the 2nd image comes from...thru the lens maybe. This one has a single image thru the viewfinder that does not change regardless of focus. I have always assumed that you estimated distance and adjusted lens lining up distance with the markings on front of lens. See 1st pic. I've always assumed this pre dated rangefinders.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Here is a wikipedia on it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rangefinder_camera

Rangefinders have been popular over many years. My mother had one but it probably wasn't a true rangefinder
    like some are. Yours certainly looks the part tho.

6. The following user says "Thanks" to Steve Cebu

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I hijacked my own thread! Now back to pachinko! Earlier, I mentioned that the JP balls fell to the lower tray. I reversed an internal gate to fix it, but pics won't load. I removed the cover again to take these pics. Here is the lever correctly mounted on the inside.experiment 086.jpg Winning balls fall down and go to the left to the square area leading to the top tray. When top tray is too full, they push on the weight moving it to the right opening the gate like this.experiment 094.jpg Since this is the inside it is all backwards. here is a mock up of how it would look if you could see through the plastic, well you kind of can...but don't show up well in pics.experiment 089.jpg Normal operation.experiment 090.jpgThis is X-Ray vision of how the gate was installed. Balls were directed to lower tray. Pay no attention to the attached thumbnails below...I was getting confused looking at all those tiny pics that all looked the same. The important thing is it works correctly!
    By the way...JACKSJE4 posted a Hokohu for $50 on Craigslist in Amboy, Indiana. A good deal for you members in that area!
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Note to self for future fine tuning.
    Tips to make it reliable:
    Verify see saw pivots freely. On this machine, added one thin washer behind see saw and did NOT fully tighten mounting screws, there is some slop.
    Verify jackpot release latch is vertical, this machine was slightly bent from use. Adjust rod to keep tension to absolute minimum. Test release and make sure it releases with minimal pressure, there is the weight of 15 pachinko balls holding latch in place and just one pachinko ball weight to release it. Compliments of CarlW !

10. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2