Thread: The PERFECT Dealer

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default The PERFECT Dealer

What makes a perfect dealer?

Quickly price comes to mind but let's not be too hasty. Nothing is ever as easy as it first appears to be.

A quick bit of history.

Although the Japanese pachinko game has been around for a number of years now, its popularity has blossomed in the US only within the last three or four years. This is due to several factors including more exciting play with motorized ball launch, higher payouts with fever rounds and exciting sound, color and video effects.

The importing and adapting of these games to the American home consumer market was greatly expanded when it was discovered that eBay could become the perfect sales place for these exotic games. There was and IS money to be made selling pachinko!

Several entrepreneurs and companies have tried to exploit this lucrative niche but soon discovered profit margins are directly related to keeping overhead down, increasing service capabilities and ,this is where we come in, educating the buying public to the pleasures of playing pachinko.

So what does all this mean?

Today, the number of dealers selling pachinko games on eBay is limited to about 4 major players. This decrease in numbers has led to a decline in supply and variety of games available to you and I.

The other unpleasant aspect is the increase in price on the games. In other words, we now are facing a possible control of supply of games offered and at prices that would shock most of us. That is, of course, bordering on a monopoly and we consumers can be held hostage if we are not able to control our spending habits.

What happens next?

As a reader of this forum, you have already made the most critical step in determining what the perfect pachinko dealer should be. You are educating yourself as to which dealers are honest, fair and can provide service at a reasonable price if problems arise.

A dealer who is rude, arrogant, and unwilling to resolve problems does not deserve our patronage and they will eventually wither on the vine. Equally so, those dealers who have a good reputation here, must work each day to maintain that level of respect.

Recently, we have noticed at least one dealer try to disassociate himself from our forum as he felt our members expected special consideration. The relationship between buyer and seller should be a positive one. Every good salesman recognizes the potential for repeat sales from satisfied customers.

What he is actually dealing with is the reality that informed potential buyers, such as our readers, know what to expect and that failure to state warranty policies or whether balls are included sends up a red flag to customers. (The dealer later corrected his listings and posted a somewhat negative statement regarding any additional breaks for buyers.)

This means we as buyers always hold the trump card. It is that if we don't buy, the dealer doesn't prosper.

The future looks bright for new games and bleak for good prices.

It is no secret that the 2004 games from Japan are finding their way here and the games will be even more sophisticated than ever. The market for movie themed and cartoon character games remains strong and will help dealers make lots of money because such games also attract new buyers more interested in the theme than the actual game. (Just look at the high prices realized for custom themed aftermarket modifications to many pachislo games.)

If dealers place all their purchases into these games, we pachinko game enthusiasts will miss out on many of the more challenging and popular games in Japan that may not have as broad an appeal to buyers. Sea Story is a perfect example. It is an aquatic themed game that is extremely fun to play and many articles in Japan have been written on strategies on how to play this game. If our dealers disregard this game as not worth their time because it may not appeal to as many buyers, then we lose.

What do we look for in a perfect dealer?

A perfect dealer woos not only the first time buyer but encourages the past buyers to make another purchase with special incentives for their loyalty.

A perfect dealer is pleasant, patient and quickly answers communications regarding their product.

A perfect dealer realizes that games do occasionally arrive with damage or they are inoperable. As such, return and repair policies should be clearly stated in all listings.

A perfect dealer should provide accurate descriptions and photographs of their products for sale. If the product illustrated is not the exact one a buyer may receive, then such information must be clearly stated and photographs attached to show such variations.

A perfect dealer should be willing to service what they sell. If they cannot, then an appropriate disclaimer must be stated in the listing.

A perfect dealer encourages suggestions for improvement from its customers and makes efforts to always be better than the day before.

And a reminder as to what makes a perfect customer

The perfect customer is courteous, reads the listings carefully and asks all questions about a listing well enough in advance to give the dealer time to respond.

The perfect customer understands that insurance claims vary with the shipping service and that claims may take time to resolve. Some dealers make resolution prior to a claim being processed with the insurance provider, but most have to wait along with you.

The perfect customer pays promptly.

The perfect customer understands how eBay and Paypal works and is familiar with conflict resolution procedures should problems arise.

Replies and thoughts are welcome.
    Dennis

I have a passion for Pachinko!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Very well thought out!

Firewire

Thanks
    Thanks Received

What Dennis said is right. Lets take this a step further, and assign values.

Positive experience = $
    Machine = A
    Tech Support = B
    Fast Shipping = C
    Communications = D
    Warranty = E

So if “$” = $400, how much of this should be “A, B, C, D, E” ?

I am sure all of us would assign different values to them.

Some donÂ’t care for Tech. Support.
    While others donÂ’t care how fast they get it.
    Some arenÂ’t interest in a warrant.
    A few, communications is unimportant as long as they get what they paid for.

We would have a hard time doing this. Think how the vendor does it, they donÂ’t know the person buying the machine, and add in more than just one person buying at the same time.

So they set levels for each service and try hard to maintain them. So when something happens and we have to deal with “A, B, C, D, E”.

Maybe the price is not so bad after all. If the vendor doesnÂ’t do anything to fix it, the cheap price isnÂ’t worth the busted machine. Or if you need parts a month later, he he said sorry canÂ’t help you.

So we have to understand, a large part of the cost Positive experience is not just “A” it also “B, C, D, E”
    "This is My Personal Opinion and no others"

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I forgot to add, I have a machine coming fron Japan, got it cheap compaired to what it would cost here. But No Tech. Support, No Warranty.
    Yes Fast Shipping, Yes good Communications.

But time will tell as to the crup shoot it is.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Very nicely done. We may have even found our creedo or mantra for the board!

Now, being a "perfect customer" myself, I can concur. Anyone know any perfect dealers?
    Meanwhile, somewhere in Oklahoma.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Every business should have a set of standards and goals that provide a direction to success.

Perhaps some of our dealer members will share their thoughts on this topic.
    Dennis

I have a passion for Pachinko!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Excellent thoughts, Bilko44 and Arby! Very well stated!

May I add / expand...

Dealers often times see the internet as a place for sales only. Some believe it is no more than a giant storefront... simply a place to make a sale... with extremely low overhead.

What they often fail to realize is that long before the "web", (and especially the commercialization of it), the internet existed for the purpose of exchanging information. I'm not just talking about email here... I'm talking about discussion threads (newsgroups), bulletin boards, and forums. These continue to live and thrive as more and more people discover others that share similar interests. Now, not only has the WWW expanded possibilities for sales, it has also expanded the opportunity for sharing of information between buyers that existed long before sales hit the 'net.

Consider the personal computer and software user groups (obviously, the first to start such "forums" as a direct offshoot of their hobby).
    These user groups were often local... and often limited to major cities because of long distance telephone charges. The internet changed all that. User groups tied together to share their knowledge and information. What resulted was a more informed user base, with the exchange of both information AND opinions, and the phenomena of users helping users as a first line of technical support.

Companies that were savvy enough to recognize that phenomena supported those groups with additional knowledge, discounts on hardware and software for members, and even sponsored seminars and workshops aimed at attracting that user base. Some recognized these groups as a powerful voice, and they were willing to support them. Companies that chose to ignore those user groups were ignored BY the user groups. Few, if any, of those companies remained in business. Word spread fast on the information super-highway.

What you see on your screen now is indeed a phenomena. A user group with common interests in a relatively small niche market. Users sharing information, opinions, support (technical and otherwise), and even humor. Some dealers recognize this. Some realize the forum's growth of nearly 800 members, and nearly 25,000 posts in less than FOUR MONTHS, and choose to support it with (see above) additional knowledge, discounts, etc.

The shocking truth is that, as Bilko said, "we have noticed at least one dealer try to disassociate himself from our forum as he felt our members expected special consideration." Perhaps that dealer feels more independent than he should. There will always be more fish in the sea. I'm certain that many dealers are glad that Pachitalk is here. I'm also certain that others wish we'd go away.

Some dealers recognize this forum as their first line of technical support and information. That was one of the items that Arby mentioned all dealers must provide. Since they recognize this place as a means to relieve some of their support burden, they provide us with more information, support, and yes... discounts.

We thank them... and continue to share our knowledge and opinions.
    logicprobe
    Retired - Living on a Wing and a prayer!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The Value of a Forum.

What is the value of this forum to a seller? Well, I had bought only one machine before joining this forum, and that was a pashishlo. After joining, I have bought three more, one pachislo and two pachinkos. I purchased those through the vendors that were recommended by this forum. I would never have sought those vendors out if it was not for this forum. So those vendors need to credit the sale of those machine to this forum. I am one member out of almost 800. Hmmmmmmmmmmm.......What is the value of this forum to a seller?
    Life
    It's what happens
    When you least expect it.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: The PERFECT Dealer

in terms of money, the GOOD Vendors 2K a month ?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: The PERFECT Dealer

I, too, credit this forum for my purchase decisions. When I joined the forum in February I wasn't even sure what a pachinko was. Today, I receive delivery on my 9th machine (LOTR). All purchases were based on what I read within this forum.

The first two machines I received (Apollo 13 & Aquarium) had to be returned because they quit working within the few days - but I hung in there with the vendor due to the comments posted here.

This forum definitely provides a high value to vendors!
    ...Carol