Thread: Front overflow from Goodwill!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Front overflow from Goodwill!

I won the rusty front overflow pachinko machine from Goodwill! front overflow 001.jpg I won on the 11th and it arrived today, very fast shipping! They saved time by boxing it instead of packing it. It was simply wrapped in cardboard, and taped! No peanuts, no extra layers of cardboard, no crumpled up newspaper, just a cardboard box with a pachinko machine inside. I guess they thought the lint was going to protect it!front overflow 007.jpg It is pretty rough, but complete and functional. I tested it with my coffee can of rusty balls. There was so much lint that the balls almost wouldn't roll through the tracks.front overflow 006.jpg The bell even has a soft muffled sound!It survived the shipping with no damage, good thing they used USPS instead of UPS! A tulip was loose, but the nails are missing, therefore it was removed before shipped.front overflow 002.jpg Some of the nails from the other tulip are missing also. Not sure why removed, they work properly and are nicer looking and cleaner than anything else on the machine. The frame and door are badly rusted, not sure how well they will clean up. The cell is severely water stained!front overflow 003.jpg I will very likely do a cell replacement on this one. I would like to duplicate the original pattern, but am realistic about my skills, I think one that Rival sells will look good. If I go that far I might even rechrome the frame and door, but cost will probably make me change my mind. The center tulip is pretty cool.front overflow 009.jpg front overflow 010.jpgfront overflow 011.jpgfront overflow 012.jpg The front overflow don't work, probably clogged with lint. Overall I'm happy with the purchase, won for $21, cost total of $69 with shipping. A bit high for so much rust and water stains...but I have been wanting a front overflow for quite some time now. With no broken or missing parts (that I know of), and such fast shipping, I have no complaints!

2. The following 12 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Front overflow from Goodwill!

Wow! It looks like it was kept in someone's laundry room!
    Regardless I think it has real potential for a successful restore. If it were mine I'd wire wheel the rusty chrome, clean it up and repaint instead of rechrome.

4. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to SteveFury

Thanks
    Thanks Received

If you can hold off on the cell replacement for a little while I will have that one. As soon as I get this powerflash together I will be starting on the identical machine with the identical background. I finally have a little lull where there are no client machines in the queue.

Also, I don't really have mad graphix sKilz. I send out the stitched scans to a pro who makes them look beautiful. The money I spend on the pro is well worth the endless hours of frustration I suffered through on my first few tries.

6. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Rival

Thanks
    Thanks Received

OK...I'm supposed to be working on my house today; but I got a new machine! I wanted to play, but I can't run balls through all that lint and filth.So what was I to do but clean my new toy?front overflow 013.jpgRemoved the front tray to easily clean and remove oversize steel ball that was jamming my overflow drain. Before putting the clean tray back on, I decided to try some navel jelly and 00steel wool on the door. Didn't spend much time on it, but I can see some results.front overflow 025.jpg Can't tell too much from pics, try another angle...front overflow 027.jpg Well you can tell next to the white plastic trim, where I didn't scrub. The leftover chrome is flakey,and the metal is slightly pitted. I think if I can get the rust gone, polish the chrome with metal polish, then wax it with car wax to keep the metal from rusting quickly...it might just pass. The door is not removable, it is hinged to the frame just like the window. This makes working the door a little more difficult. I'm afraid I'm gonna lose the stickers on the door in the process. The ball feeding mechanism is a little different than the newer machines, but basically the same. front overflow 023.jpg It is screwed to the cell and has a hinged door. Seems like a high mileage machine, because of groovesworn in the plastic where balls roll.front overflow 021.jpg There is no metal strip on the ball tray, and a groove where it would be.front overflow 017.jpg Someone stuffed tissue into the jackpot tray overflow for unknown reasons.front overflow 019.jpg The last piece was pretty deep and took a minute to dig out. I'm not going to take this one apart yet...I have too many other important things to do first. I just want to clean it a little so I can play it. Here is the window frame with just a little scrubbing.front overflow 028.jpg Also the entire back (like anybody here don't know what the back of a model A looks like)front overflow 008.jpg

8. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Rival View Post
    If you can hold off on the cell replacement for a little while I will have that one. As soon as I get this powerflash together I will be starting on the identical machine with the identical background. I finally have a little lull where there are no client machines in the queue.

Also, I don't really have mad graphix sKilz. I send out the stitched scans to a pro who makes them look beautiful. The money I spend on the pro is well worth the endless hours of frustration I suffered through on my first few tries.
    Excellent! It will be some time before I do that. But when you have it avaliable, I will buy it just to have on hand, and to encourage me to get it done. THANKS!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

the two screws that go through the front of the machine hold the hinge on. Just take them out and you can them take the machine out of the frame
    the

LLTR

11. The following user says "Thanks" to owennewton

Thanks
    Thanks Received

4am and I can finally play!!! All I wanted to do was clean the dustbunnies out of it...AND I HAVE TO LAUNCH THE "SAVE THE CHROME" CAMPAIGN! front overflow 002.jpg I guess I needed it to look good before I put it into storage!front overflow 008.jpg Now the front overflow actually drains balls through the front... oversize ball removed! It is also clean enough to play, and it is pleasant to look at!front overflow 010.jpg most of the chrome is gone, with a copper base left behind. It shines good enough... but is not right. It will do for now. I was finally able to play a little. I had to jiggle the machine a little in order to make feeding (sometimes), and jackpots (sometimes). I'm sure a good cleaning and polishing is all that it needs to function 100%. I am very happy with the machine, and the results!

13. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

front overflow 001.jpgfront overflow 004.jpg I meant to do that last night... but was too tired to think.

15. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Pachiwall, you mentioned using automotive wax to help prevent re-rusting.

I used to restore antique tube-type radios and most of the electronic chassis on those old units are made of steel. I did a very maticulate job on some of the better quality radios... even hiding new electronic components (capacitors) inside of original ones to maintain the authentic appearance. I would also remove all the components from the old dingy steel chassis, which was often rusty- and wire-wheel it clean and buff to a bright steel shine. I had to retard the rust immediately because if I delayed even a day a light "dusting" of rust would appear. I didn't want to paint it so I tried several products to maintain the gleaming steel.

The first product I tried was automotive wax. I used both Turtle and Meguiars Gold (A better quality wax IMO) which apparently did nothing to retard the rust.
    Then I tried furniture paste wax by Miniwax and that stopped the rust. All the chassis I applied the paste wax to haven't rusted yet. I rebuilt a 1938 TrueTone console radio about 13 years ago using the paste wax and still there is no sign of rusting.

If you do an experiment by using two identical nails and sand their protective coating off, wax one up with automotive wax and the other with paste wax I promise you the one with paste wax will still shine after a couple days exactly as you left it, and the one with automotive wax will begin to rust.

17. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to SteveFury