Thread: Any features you would like adding to the card reader emulator dongles?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Any features you would like adding to the card reader emulator dongles?

I'm doing a few updates to the code of the Card Reader Emulator dongles to improve the operation of the dongle with coin/token acceptors, and plan to release these updates as a r2.1 software version towards the end of this year. So thought it would be the right time to ask if anyone would like any other modifications or additional features, so that I could look at implementing them while I'm still wearing my software developers hat.

The planned additions for this new version are...
    Modify the 'external switch de-bounce' setting to a range of 0-9
    Add an option for a non de-bounced interrupt driven external input (for reliable operation with electronic coin acceptors that have very fast pulse outputs).
    An 'auto-payout' mode that will allow balls to be dispensed as soon as a coin is inserted, rather than just adding the credit and waiting for the player to press the ball loan button before balls are dispensed.

When these additions have been completed, all new rev.2 dongles will be shipped with the r2.1 version software, and I will be selling upgrade keys that will allow older rev.2 dongles to be updated. These upgrade keys will cost about £5 (approx $8 USD), and can be reused to update as many dongles as you like.

So if you have any suggestions, either post them to this thread, or send me an email or private message

2. The following 9 users say "Thanks" to daverob

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Any features you would like adding to the card reader emulator dongles?

It's not quite dongle related. But a stand alone unit to add credit to cards would be useful instead of using the frame buttons or using the spare pins on the reader whilst connected to the emulator and frame. Auto dispense sounds like a great idea
    Ian #UKPachinko

4. The following user says "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Any features you would like adding to the card reader emulator dongles?

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenclam View Post
    It's not quite dongle related. But a stand alone unit to add credit to cards would be useful
    I did start work on one of these quite a while ago, but I didn't get enough interest to justify a production batch of PCBs, so the project was dropped. I got as far as building four prototype units, but the software was never completed. Pics can be seen on this thread.

I am currently using one of the prototypes on a long term project to develop a new event driven operating system for the dongles, as being handheld and battery operated it's more convenient to use when writing code on my laptop. Once I get this new operating system to a stage where it can read and write smartcards, it would be relatively easy to resurrect this project.

6. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to daverob

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

I was thinking someting along the lines of about the size of a mobile phone. 3 buttons, (add 10 credit, delete 1 credit, clear) seeing as these are the same inputs as from the frame buttons and a simple 2x 8 seg display, Again same as the frame.
    Ian #UKPachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Is that it? No other suggestions for new features for the card reader emulator dongles?

{begin blatant request for praise} Does that mean it's perfect as it is? {step back and await adulation response }

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenclam View Post
    I was thinking someting along the lines of about the size of a mobile phone. 3 buttons, (add 10 credit, delete 1 credit, clear) seeing as these are the same inputs as from the frame buttons and a simple 2x 8 seg display, Again same as the frame.
    That's pretty much what I've prototyped. Handheld case about the size of a chunky smartphone, 4 digit display and 3 buttons. The only difference is that the buttons are assigned as +, -, and step (use +/- to set hundreds digit, press step, +/- for tens digit, step, set units...), but I've just had another idea...

An alternative to a standalone smartcard reader, would be a master 'credit add' smartcard. You would insert it into the reader and it would enable the return button to add credits for the next smartcard only.

So it would go something like this...
    Normal smartcard inserted, with return button disabled so you can't add credits.
    Remove smartcard and insert 'credit add' smartcard. Display would show 'credit add'. Remove 'credit add' smartcard.
    Insert normal smartcard and use return button to add credits.
    Remove smartcard. Credit add feature is now disabled.
    Insert smartcard. Emulator operates as normal and return button no longer adds credit.

Does that sound like a better idea than a separate standalone unit? It should be simple enough to add to this update, as it only needs a couple of small additions to the software (Checking for an additional smartcard identifier in the card inserted routine and a couple of flags to set and check depending on whether the return button should be enabled or disabled).

BTW, the progress on this update has been slowed down by my choice of microcontroller chip for the dongles. The PIC microcontroller I've used has a 'paged' memory map, where the total 8k of memory is split into 2k 'pages', and you have to be extra careful when your program jumps between these pages. This wasn't a problem up until now, as the dongle code just about fit into the first page, so I didn't have to worry about this at all (this lack of worry was exemplified by my complete lack of knowledge about this paging process!).

The extra features have increased the size of the code so it now needs to be split across two pages, so I've spent two days of coding effort working out which bits of the code can be relocated, moving them and then testing the changes, just to give myself a little bit of extra space where these updates can be added.

I'm also trying to resolve the conflict you get when you have a smartcard reader and a coin acceptor connected to the dongle. At the moment when the smartcard reader is connected you can only add credit when a smartcard is present (as the credit count is stored on the smartcard). This is a bit useless if you insert a coin when there's no smartcard present, as nothing happens and you lose your coin/credit. So I'm trying to figure a way to get this working without having to rewrite the entire credit handling part of the dongle's software. It'll probably end up with a mod that just triggers an automatic payout of balls when credit is added with no smartcard in the reader, but thinking about the complications about handling what happens if a smartcard is inserted while it's paying out for a coin credit is making my brain hurt.

9. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to daverob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

how about a link up to a digial key pad with LCD readout? I've looked for keypads that could be bought where its like a keypad, simple lcd screen a plug and some holes to mount it to a face. What I'm thinking is an option to maybe take a keypad that you can hook up to it to input loading of the card. Maybe a settable four digit password to do it. Question is how simple is that to implement? I have no idea if a keypad strike would output the number struck, 1 or 0... or is just basically on/off then run to a IC to decypher the input and turn it into numbers and such. Probably the latter.
    plus you'd have to find the keypad... just ideas. Also does your card reader interface have mounting holes? Looked like it did.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by WondersPachi View Post
    how about a link up to a digial key pad with LCD readout?
    That would be a bit too complicated for this update, and would need to wait until the 'Rev.3' software release based on the new dongle operating system I'm (slowly!) working on.

The current software version is a direct descendent of the original prototype dongle code, and a few design decisions were made around 5 years ago for the microcontroller chip used in the first sample batch of dongles. Since then there have been 4 different microcontrollers used in the dongles, and the current version of the chip used in the Rev.2 dongles is significantly more powerful than the original. So the plan is to do a complete rewrite of the software from scratch, to take advantage of the new features and allow the addition of accessories like this.

BTW. I already have support for a 128x64 pixel graphic LCD display as a module in the Rev.3 dongle code (Rev.3 is just the software version number for the rewrite, it will actually run on Rev.2 dongles), and I currently just use it to display debug messages, so this part wouldn't be very difficult at all. But the Rev.3 code is designed to support multiple intelligent accessories connected to the expansion connector (primarily to support adding ball counters and external battle counter type status displays), and it wouldn't be too difficult to make a keypad accessory that has it's own small microcontroller IC to handle the keypad and display and then just tells the dongle to 'add xxx credit' via the expansion connector interface.

Also does your card reader interface have mounting holes? Looked like it did.
    The uncased card reader circuit board has mounting holes, and is supplied with a couple of woodscrews for mounting. The enclosed version of the card reader does not, and I'd recommend using a double side adhesive foam pad to attach it, rather than screws.

12. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to daverob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

WOW a Dongle with digitial keypad hook up with a LCD readout! That sounds AWESOME!
    In time!
    I may not be the best guy, BUT I am not the bad guy!- Coop from Megas XLR

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Sweet! I'll be using that time develop an enclosure for it. Basically to mock a real CR closely. Can you mount the CR interface? (does it have mounting holes anywhere?) I thought I found the one you use and or close to it and it looked as if it had them. I found special credit card bevels that should work for dress up and now I'm trying to figure out what you call that little chromed half ring that is basically like a drawer handle but it simply goes beneath where the card inserts. You used to see em on older vending machines I don't know what you would call em but I need em. Any ideas? Potential popular colors for the enclosures? Black, Red, Blue, White, Gray, Silver? Is there anyway we can get a handle on a future keypad? Would be nice to make an expansion panel for it on the face so if and/or when its supported you can slide the enclosure out, remove a few screws and install the keypad where the expansion panel was. If not it would suck to have to buy an updated keypad LCD enclosure. Any places to look for pads that could be supplied in the future? Hmmmmmm...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Actually heres an example of one. About 40-60 dollars 10 or more you get like a 4 dollar (per.) price break. Sheesh!
    Something very similar but I was thinking back mounted. PLUS heh!, these are "vandal resistant"!

1K12T103.jpg

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by WondersPachi View Post
    Sweet! I'll be using that time develop an enclosure for it. Basically to mock a real CR closely. Can you mount the CR interface? (does it have mounting holes anywhere?)
    You can see the smartcard reader board in the pictures on my website, there are two white plastic mounting spacers to each side of the smartcard socket. The latest version of the board is slightly different (it has a full 10 pin header on it, rather than the four pin header on the pictured version), but the mountings are exactly the same. You'd screw this reader board to the bottom or side of the enclosure, and then mill a slot in the front of the enclosure so that you can insert the card. If you don't fancy your chances at milling a slot for the card yourself, there are a few commercially available bezels that could be used instead.

I thought I found the one you use and or close to it and it looked as if it had them.
    The reader board is not a standard part, so it won't be quite the same as ones seen elsewhere.

I found special credit card bevels that should work for dress up and now I'm trying to figure out what you call that little chromed half ring that is basically like a drawer handle but it simply goes beneath where the card inserts.
    I think I know what you mean, it kind of looks like the shackle of a very small padlock, but I still don't know where you'd get them from.

Is there anyway we can get a handle on a future keypad?
    There's no immediate plans to add something like this to the dongle. The Rev.3 dongle software (which is probably somewhere between 6 months and a year away from completion), will be able to support accessories like this, but there would also be a whole load of development work required in designing the necessary circuits/software to connect it to the expansion connector, and I can't see a compelling reason for adding a numeric keypad directly to the dongle (apart from it being awesome! ). If you really need a keypad to update the credits on a smartcard, then a separate standalone unit would seem to make more sense to me.

BTW. Current progress on the R2.1 update is good, I've finally had time to finish the updates to the coin input handling, and have completed the modifications to enable an automatic payout mode.

I don't think it's going to be possible to make this version work satisfactorily with both a coin acceptor and a smartcard reader at the same time. I've tried a few modifications in this area, but each one has had some issues or unintended consequences. It looks like I'd need to re-write too much of the credit handling code to get this fully working, and I'd rather put this effort into the Rev.3 software, rather than this interim update.

I'm also still looking into the scope of the modifications required for a 'credit add' smartcard, if it's very simple then I might add it later this week. But I haven't had any feedback on whether anyone would want it or not, and I'm running short on time to get this update finished.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

What I'd really like to have is an automatic tray refill, just like on the Sankyo FF frames. When you get low on spheres, the credit system would dispense 25 balls. I don't know what would be required as far as needing a prox or whatever, but that would be so cool!
    Gotta catch 'em all Pa-chink-o

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Ikaria View Post
    What I'd really like to have is an automatic tray refill, just like on the Sankyo FF frames. When you get low on spheres, the credit system would dispense 25 balls. I don't know what would be required as far as needing a prox or whatever, but that would be so cool!
    If you have a suitable sensor, then you can probably do that already. Just wire the sensor so that when it doesn't detect any balls, it connects the wires leading to the ball loan button on the pachinko. Choosing and mounting the sensor would be the most difficult part, as you need something that will fit into the front tray of the pachinko and not interfere with the movement of the balls.

19. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to daverob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yes Exactly like that. I'm on the same page Dave! You nailed it. I'll PM you with a sketchup of the unit proto. Further refinement will probably be necessary.

Thanks

HAPPY T-DAY EVERYONE!

I'll be working on my project skis tomorrow! Woot Woot! 2 Yamaha GP1200X' es with a straight up nice trailer. 800 bucks. One may be full of water, other turns over but no spark, everything tests ok so tomorrow, (Ahem) today I will be swapping the CDI's as well as the electrical boxes. Wish me luck!