Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nishijin Sophia Super DX, Help With Restoration Please!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Nishijin Sophia Super DX, Help With Restoration Please!

Ok, so I was browsing Craigslist looking for a pinball machine and my girlfriend asked me to look for a Pachinko machine. I'd never heard of Pachinko, but found the machine below and thought it would make a fun birthday gift for her next month. I have a couple questions though and I'm guessing I came to the right place to ask them:

1) What year is this machine from?
    2) Aside from it saying Nishijin and Super DX on the front it also says Sophia on the back. Is there a proper name for this machine that might help me find out more about it?
    3) Where can I get a schematic, etc to try and restore it?
    4) While everything appears to be in working order (albeit dusty), it doesn't appear as though the jackpot ever pays out. I've tried manually dropping the balls into the holes on the front and no dice. So that's one reason I was thinking a schematic would really help. With so many moving parts in the back, and being totally clueless about these machines I don't know if everything is there at all or where it should be etc.

Thanks for any help/advice you guys can give!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to n0s4atu

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Nishijin Sophia Super DX, Help With Restoration Please!

Welcome to Pachitalk

take a look at this for some how to help

http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/vint...l-b-video.html

for an exact date (or as close as we can get) we need a great close up of the sticker in the lower right corner.. for a guesstament i would say 1974 or so

take a look at the vid and feel free to ask any questions.. there are no dumb ones... ever... well there are, but we answer them as well
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

4. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Your machine is a 1973 Nishijin Shiroi Kamome. The playfield should be labeled 48S-C on the lower left behind the front feeder tray. 1973 Nishijins are the most common pachinko machines found in the USA. The center attraction you have is probably the most common for the 1973 machines, known as the "Green Star", or sometimes the "rolling stone". It is a great first machine for learning about these things.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks guys for info! Clearly I came to the right place. The lighting wasn't good enough to get a picture of the sticker in the lower right without major glare, but it sounds Rival knew exactly what I had anyway.

Is there a place on the site with a diagram or exploded view of how everything works together? Or some sort of diagram sold somewhere on the net.

I already found one problem and that is that the rocker arm for the pay out has broken off slightly and doesn't make good contact.

Another problem (I think) is that the Pay Off lever travels freely, but it almost seems as though it should connect to something? I've attempted to show what I'm talking about in the picture I've attached.

I've already modified an old plug for a cordless phone to power up the lights and now I just need to replace all but one of them. So far, I'm not sure how fun Pachinko is to play, but tinkering with a broken one has certainly already made the purchase worthwhile. lol I can definitely see how so many people here end up with multiple machines.

Thanks again guys.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Rival View Post
    The center attraction you have is probably the most common for the 1973 machines, known as the "Green Star", or sometimes the "rolling stone".
    where did you get "rolling stone" his machine doesn't have that feature. The other term is the "lone star". (Although there is no technical term for it)

By the way to pachitalk n0s4atu.

You machine looks to be in fairly decent shape. For the issues with the back it may just be as simple as getting more balls (you should use minimum of around 500) or the problem might be a little more than that. But either way we will try to help you fix it.

If you have any further questions feel free to ask. That is the main reason why we are here. (well one of the main reasons)

100 machines and counting...

8. The following user says "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by mxfaiman View Post
    where did you get "rolling stone" his machine doesn't have that feature. The other term is the "lone star". (Although there is no technical term for it)
    I never called it that, but iv'e heard a few others use that term. I think Green Star pretty much sums it up though.

10. The following user says "Thanks" to Rival

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ok, so I've figured out that last question with the arm, when watching one of the videos and when you get a jackpot the ball drops down moving it and striking the bell.

So I guess on to my next question. The jackpot release lever or arm on my machine has clearly broken off the tip, but I don't know how long the tip should be or if there's a place to just buy a new one. Does anyone have a picture of how this piece should look? And please forgive the terrible cell phone pic.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I call that playfield "Blobs". At least thats what I called my first machine restore with this playfield.
    Last edited by Microbus99; 10-05-2011 at 02:34 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by n0s4atu View Post
    The jackpot release lever or arm on my machine has clearly broken off the tip, but I don't know how long the tip should be or if there's a place to just buy a new one. Does anyone have a picture of how this piece should look? And please forgive the terrible cell phone pic.
    Yours looks to be fine. (I attached some pictures of a loose one I have) Also you can't buy any replacement parts. The only way to get them is to either buy a parts machine or find a member who is willing to sell the part you need. (Sorry that arm isn't for sale. I actually need a few more of them.)

100 machines and counting...

14. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks mxfaiman, must just be a bit chipped then. Now I can move on to seeing where it's hanging up and why.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

check the nails that are the pivot points.. they get dirty and caroaded making the action slow and boggy...

clean all of them but no oil or lube leave them dry once clean
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ok, new question for the experts. I'm attaching a picture of the lower bell in the center which the Pay Off Lever travels by.

Should the Pay Off Lever have something attached to it to strike the bell, since the arm itself has holes where something could easily be put through one to strike the bell? Is this even a bell? lol

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for the tip Mopar, I'm going over everything with rubbing alcohol. I also pulled apart the back, removed the staples and have replaced them with screws. I figure it'll be easier to assemble and disasseble this way. Amazing just how black my hands have gotten cleaning all the little parts.

19. The following user says "Thanks" to n0s4atu

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The quick answer to your question is No. This is the "overflow" bell. When the player is winning a lot, and the upper ball try becomes full, the jackpots will spill over into the lower tray and ring that bell as they fall. The second bell usually makes a slightly different sound.

The jackpot lever that is behind that bell should not touch anything, other than the jackpot ball.

Jeff
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

21. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to JACKSJE4

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Wow, you're quick Jeff. Thanks for the info. Now I can finish cleaning it all up and getting it back together. Then I just have to pick up some new bulbs and it should be good to go.

23. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to n0s4atu

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ok, next question. lol (Yeah I am playing hooky today.)

I'm attaching a picture of my Jackpot center and as you'll see in the picture in the resting position the piece I thought was broken is not even close to touching the arm that moves up and down when I jackpot is hit. Also it looks like there may be something I am missing that fits in a slot on that chipped arm that connects to the machine itself?

I've looked all over trying to see an uncovered cluster, but I can't seem to find one. So, what am I missing here? I think this is actually the last thing that's keeping the machine from working properly (fingers crossed).

Thanks guys!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Once the balls flow into the jackpot mechanism they will put pressure on the bottom chrome piece of the trigger, pushing it forward against the payout arm. When a jackpot is triggered, the payout arm will move slightly out of the way, allowing the weight of the balls pressing the bottom of the trigger to let it swing past and release the 15 jackpot balls.

It does not appear as if you are missing anything in that assembly.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It looks normal, intact and complete to me. What issues are you having with it?
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well, that's good to hear. Maybe it was all a result of being filthy? I've got everything about as cleaned up as it can get so I'm going to put it back together and see how it goes, but prior to disassembly when the jackpot should have been activated it simply never opened up. I'm really glad to hear it looks fine and nothing's missing considering how hard parts are to come by.

Thanks again for all this help. I'm eager to get it back together and see if it's working.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ok, must have just been dirty. Seems to be paying out, bell goes off, etc. So now I just have to find the right little light bulbs, hopefully Radio Shack will have them and make sure all the lights are working and I'll have a really good birthday surprise for my girlfriend.

Unfortunately for me though, seeing all the cool machines you guys have now means I have to keep an eye out for others. This one was a fun first machine, but I have seen some really great ones with way more intricate game play areas and now I want one! lol It's definitely very obvious why so many of you have multiple machines.

29. The following user says "Thanks" to n0s4atu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast