Thread: Tips for packing and shipping a pachinko machine - Part 1

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Tips for packing and shipping a pachinko machine - Part 1

Tip 1 - Got to UPS store and let them do it.

Tip 2 - If you are frugal and want to do it yourself, I have had success with the following materials and techniques.

I think the minimal size box for a vintage machine is 36” x 24” x 12”; the minimal size for a modern machine is 36” x 24” x 18”. The reason to use as small a box as possible is because the shipping companies will charge more for a bigger box and with pachinko machines the box size is usually the determining cost factor not the weight.

I like to use a 275# box, shipping peanuts, tape and ½” bubble wrap perforated every 12”.

I like to triple tape ALL seams, box flaps, and the pre glued corner of the box.

DSC02206.jpgDSC02207.jpgDSC02208.jpgDSC02210.jpg

DSC02211.jpg

Above, the box - taped up on the bottom with reinforcing tape strips.

Partially fill box with shipping peanuts about 2" deep.

DSC02212.jpg

Next photo shows some bubble wrap "filler pieces" for the front and back of the machine; the machine is in a black bag to keep some of the shipping peanuts out of the machine.

DSC02213.jpg

Next picture shows the machine and filler pieces about to be wrapped in the bubble wrap.

DSC02214.jpg
    PACHINKO - Nishijin Model A, 2005 Newgin Cutie Honey, 2015 TAKAO Queen's Blade 2
    BUBBLE HOCKEY - SUPER CHEXX PRO | MAME - 4 Player Entertainment Center
    PINBALL - Williams Grand Lizard

2. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Tips for packing and shipping a pachinko machine - Part 2

Next wrap machine and fillers with more bubble wrap. About three times around the long side.

Put in box and make more fillers for all four sides...

Add shipping peanuts to overstuff box and fill all voids.

Tape box closed and reinforce seams and box flaps.

You can see the reinforcing tape is staggered and that the box is slightly bulging. By the time it gets thrown around the country, it will flatten out.
    With modern machines, my preference is to use even more shipping peanuts AND a deeper box.
    It you happen to ship a piece of glass (as opposed to plexiglass), the glass should be in it's own separate, taped box and should not be close to the top or bottom of the outer box. Pretty much a 50/50 chance of breaking anyhow. This also means a deeper box. I have had luck using a deeper box and having the machine slanted inside the box.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CarlW; 09-24-2011 at 10:47 PM.
    PACHINKO - Nishijin Model A, 2005 Newgin Cutie Honey, 2015 TAKAO Queen's Blade 2
    BUBBLE HOCKEY - SUPER CHEXX PRO | MAME - 4 Player Entertainment Center
    PINBALL - Williams Grand Lizard

4. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Tips for packing and shipping a pachinko machine - Part 1

all great info

Quote Originally Posted by CarlW View Post
    with pachinko machines the box size is usually the determining cost factor not the weight
    size is a huge factor.. but keep in mind weight does matter as well
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

6. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Packing Peanuts Are EVIL and should Never Be Used and they are Very Toxic to the Earth Enviroment Crumpled newspaper works much Better and getting a Double- Wall wardrobe shipping box from a moving company (used ones go for $5.00 ) and you can trim it to size as for space 6" of compressed crumpled paper in the bottom of the box and 6" to 12" compressed newspaper all around the Pachi and 6" compressed newspaper for the top of the box the pachi doubled lawn and leaf bagged .
    Last edited by hanabi; 09-25-2011 at 08:51 AM. Reason: more eye-friendly sized font
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

8. The following user says "Thanks" to takethecastle57

Thanks
    Thanks Received

nothing wronging with peanuts... i buy the ones that are envro safe and vacume seal my Pachi in trashbags sealed up tight before i use the peanuts... when i have used them i like how they fill every void for protection...

there great if used properly... but most people dont and thats why we all hate them
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

10. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I agree with Mopar - as long as you seal up the pachinko in a large trash bag before using the peanuts, you should be fine. Here is how I pack mine:
    1. Place recycled styrofoam blocks and pieces around the trays on front and back
    2. Cover machine with a large trash bag and seal it up with packing tape
    3. Wrap machine tightly with plastic film (same type movers use to protect furniture). This makes the inner package snug and helps to hold the styrofoam in place to protect the trays
    4. Place in cut-down bicycle box using "repurposed" bubble wrap and packing peanuts (I like to reuse anything I can to help save the environment)
    5. Triple-tape all seams on box
    6. Place red "Fragile" stickers on all sides of box. (available at office suppply stores)
    In my opinion, the next step is the most critical - mark the box with BOLD ARROWS AND LETTERING indicating that the machine must be shipped in it's normal upright position. This has two purposes: provides safer transport for machine since movement of the box will require somewhat special handling through the entire shipmnet process, and it helps prevent the machine from getting tossed around or put on the bottom of a pile with other heavy boxes tossed on top of it. Since I have been using this method, I have yet to have a machine get damaged in shipment, regardless of the carrier used.

Also, I seldom ship Pachinko balls with the machine. I prefer to send those separate in a flat rate Priority Mail box. I just think it is safer.

When I ship vintage machines in this fashion using a full size or cut down bicycle box, I find that I can ship via FedEx ground from Denver to most destinations in the U.S. for around $30.

This is a great idea for a thread and I know it will make a wonderful guide for all current and future members to use when shipping a machine. There are many ideas out there, and the method I just described came from collective knowledge I received in the past from the community here.
    Last edited by JACKSJE4; 09-25-2011 at 11:25 AM.
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

12. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to JACKSJE4

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Great info. I generally let UPS do the packing for me though.I didn't read all the above posts but I also remove the glass. If it's plexi, it's fine. I also have in the past, removed all parts that stick out so they wont bear the brunt of any impact such as front trays.
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

14. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

*BUMP*

I think this could be a sticky as it's so well written and laid-out?

There is always another machine around the corner...

16. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to candyflip