Thread: and another... Maruhon

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default and another... Maruhon

I went and rescued another vintage today, a 1980 Maruhon all 10

100_2669.jpg100_2665.jpg100_2666.jpg100_2667.jpg100_2668.jpg

It is missing some bits from the back including the reward hopper

100_2656.jpg100_2657.jpg100_2658.jpg100_2671.jpg

and as you can see there is some mold damage and delaminating of the wood on the back of the cell but it is not affecting any part that is important

continued...
    the

LLTR

2. The following 12 users say "Thanks" to owennewton

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: and another... Maruhon

after getting it home and looking to see how the payout works I see that a motor controls cycling the winning balls into the trigger of the payout system, unfortunately after pulling the motor housing off I see that the motor is not in it and the greas and bits attached to the motor are missing.

100_2673.jpg100_2672.jpg100_2674.jpg

the rest of it works and is there but I am stuck on what to do.

I can hope someone has the parts (or a back assembly) they would sell me I can try to rig something that would work reliably that the balls can trigger, it may miss some payouts without the motor to regulate the flow... or I can not worry about the back and do a cyclic mod on it.

Any thoughts, ideas and advice gladly taken as the rules on this machine seem real cool and I would like to have it running soon. At least I have the Three star and Isuzu to work on right now so I am not just standing over this crying.

the

LLTR

4. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to owennewton

Thanks
    Thanks Received

and to show how the balls trigger the payout...

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

first pic with the red line is the ball path, second pic is how the parts move but a ball hitting the lever alone is not enough to trigger it, if the ball was moving fast enough it would work or a lever attached to let the ball push softer and still move it. Third pic is showing the part that is open in the path.

I need ideas

before I turn into this guy
    the

LLTR

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Really cool machine!! Very unusual and an interesting piece of Pachinko history.
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

7. The following user says "Thanks" to JACKSJE4

Thanks
    Thanks Received

neat looking machine.. to bad ya can't fix it
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

9. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Owen I'm confused on where the motor goes and where it connects to something to do anything. You could probably make your own gear for it. (if you feel like doin' that)

100 machines and counting...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

the motor housing can be seen installed and removed in the second post, I don't have a clue what the parts that would be attached to the motor look like ether. all I can tell is it would push the ball around the track and against the lever that triggers payouts, the weight of balls resets the payout and a micro switch cuts power to the motor and turns in the out of balls light when the machine runs low
    the

LLTR

12. The following user says "Thanks" to owennewton

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Is it supposed to be a cupped gear? to move the payout balls?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I think so, part of the reduction drive is still in the motor housing and the output shaft is off center but there is no motor in the can anymore. I don't think it would be too hard to build but I would like to know what the parts looked like
    the

LLTR

15. The following user says "Thanks" to owennewton

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well I made my mind up on what to do. I feel this machine is way to cool and on to good of an over all condition to part out yet to many parts are broken or missing to restore it. example, the missing top try and broken tracks and from the earlier posts the missing parts from the payout system.
    100_2682.jpg

What I decided to do was do a reversible full cyclic mod. If I can ever find the missing parts I can undo everything I did or even better if I can find a back assembly to replace it with and after checking the older (74-79) "C" style all mechanical back will fit and work without any mods.

What I did was just cut a path out with a dremel grinding wheel and then buffed it out with a polishing wheel. I added a scrap metal path to redirect the balls to the top tray.

100_2675.jpg100_2676.jpg100_2677.jpg100_2678.jpg100_2679.jpg100_2680.jpg100_2681.jpg

I put the back on the machine and tested by dropping balls into random pockets and then 5 into each pocket, then I rolled 20 balls through the losing gate and then 5 batches of 5 at a time. I had no hang ups or jams. As it sits this would be a great machine for a small child to play with as there is no worry about it jamming up or running out of balls and I will still be able to do a full restore at the point I can find the right parts.

I am very happy with how this turned out as now I can at least play with it and I will not have the guilt of parting out a machine I may never see another copy of.

I will post again after I get it cleaned up and I will update the other thread when I get the three star and Isuzu cleaned up and back together.

Let me know what you think of my workaround, was it a good idea, am I an idiot, do I need to get a life... (don't answer the last one, I know what the right reply to that is)
    the

LLTR

17. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to owennewton

Thanks
    Thanks Received

looks good owen. Very clever. (then again I have yet to do a cyclic mod. And haven't seen many)

100 machines and counting...

19. The following user says "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

If you don't find the OEM motor and need to find a suitable replacement to modify, I've found the best source for low voltage DC motors in a reduction gearbox is kids toys obtained from garage sales.

The target of interest is a self contained gear reduction box with an already attached motor. Motorized cars and trucks will usually have the gear mounts molded as part of the chassis and not self contained units- and useless for anyother purpose so I avoid those.

But toy helicopters, tanks, dinasours, almost any other battery powered motorized do-dad is a potential for these useful hobby motor/gearbox units at garage sales... and at garage sale prices.

If you can figure out how the parts should look like, there may be a chance you could hit paydirt with a motor obtained from someone's old toy and improvise the rest.

Since I'm onto the subject of salvaging toys for your DIY hobby stuff, don't forget those ride-on kiddy cars have two 6 or 12volt self-contained very high torque gear boxes for traction motors. Often times the batteries go bad (Or the kids outgrow them) and they just toss the vehicles away, set at the curb. Those motors/gear units are gold to a DIY'er. The kiddy car motors are probably too big/high torque for any pachinko project but something someone might keep in mind.

BTW
    I just LOVE the colors on that machine of yours. It's so colorful and dazzling.

21. The following user says "Thanks" to SteveFury

Thanks
    Thanks Received

wellllll, I was taking apart some old prints and saw a motor that looks REALLY similar to yours, problems is I believe its an encoded motor.

I have a "cupped gear" bitmap that I was going to use as a template. With a little work and some of that plastic board stuff (almost like white

cutting board type material but a bit softer). I never looked into how big a hole saw can get but all you need to do is cut enough extra so the intial

outside diameter after drilling is the tip of the teeth on the gear (after drilling). The template I made has a center mark for each "gear cup" and

consists of 14 cups I believe (like the orange lifters cup gear).

You may get lucky with a large hole saw since it has a pilot bit right smack dab in the center but cut you blank. Drill your cups with a

jig and a drill press. Screw your blank to another two peices of that same plastic so it can spin while clamped to the drill press, line up to first cup

mark drill and spin drill and spin ect.!

As for the motor obviously its 24v but are there any more labels? rpms? gear motor? need more info

Hope that helps I'll find that template if you need it.

23. The following user says "Thanks" to WondersPachi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

no markings left on the motor other than "24v" and no clue what the other parts looked like, good news is I have access to a Tree cnc mill, a cnc router and a laser cutter so with a vector file I can get just about anything made. At least with this one with the mods I made I can sit on it until I can find another back or at least see what the parts should look like
    the

LLTR