Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 3rd Taiyo Project

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default 3rd Taiyo Project

So no one bid on this machine so I waited a few weeks and pulled the trigger after contacting the seller. I ended up getting it for relatively cheap and got it here in 3.5 days but I did forget to have the glass removed before shipping. I've dealt with broken glass before and it's not a big deal, more of a pain in the a$$. What I was worried about was the heavy transformer coming loose. In these Taiyos, the transformer puts out several voltages and is large and heavy and I forgot to mention to have that secured but it was in place.
    This machine had the same exact mods as 2 of my other Taiyos in that the coin play and pay has been disabled but in 15 minutes I had all the glass vacuumed out and the mods reversed and the machine back to factory specs. I powered it up, tunred the volume down and started a game. Luckily all the functions work-sound effects, tulips opening and spinners flashing, payout, score doubler, etc.
    It's in better condition than the other two when I got them and the cel has a small wear spot next to the rebound bumper, other than the dirt on the cel it is in almost new shape.
    My plans are to do another complete restoration but I may change it to perfectly match the green version of the Taiyo "Mars" machines. It's basically this same pachinko but with the green Mars background and different colored plastics. We'll see.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

2. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: 3rd Taiyo Project

Was that on ebay? I must of missed it some how. Also was it under pachinko or did they post it as something else?

Looks like a neat machine. I'm sure it will look good after whatever you do to it. I can't wait for the customization that you are thinking about.

100 machines and counting...

4. The following user says "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It was on YJA and it's the same machine as my Taiyo Clown, just a different cel color. First pic is of the machine I'll be duplicating but has a different lower pocket cover. Second pic is of a similar machine but has the same lower pocket cover as mine, for comparison. So, I'll be keeping things original to an existing model.
    I've obtained green paint to match the coin strip and key strip. Pantone has a great app that lets you load a picture and move a cursor around and it pulls up all the color chips. Pretty amazing and convenient. The pain will be doing the digital cel work. I'll use my existing Taiyo Mars (it's purple) as the template but I may farm that work out.

6. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

sorry to mess with your thread... But is everyone else able to see the first three pictures in post #1 because it has an error for me so I can't see them. I used to be able to.

I can see the pics in post #3 though.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I started tearing the machine down and pretty much have it all done with the exception of removing the nails and cel from the frame. No issues or anything broken. The first thing I wanted to do was to attend to the spinners. These are the same basic shape and design as the ones as the Clown 1 and Zodiac machines but the decorative relief pattern is different on the outer mounting ring and spinner itself. Also the outer ring's inner and outer border as well as the lines separating each color compartment have all been chromed or more accurately it's metallized plastic. It's easy to see in the bowl-shaped light reflector/bulb mount in pic one. So I figured I post what I used and how I did it for you fellow serious, detail-oriented restorers (Rival, Cardwii, etc.) I've experimented with several chrome paints in the past but the stuff I used today is the best yet. It's called "Spaz Sticx" and was designed to be sprayed inside clear lexan RC car bodies and is not recommended for external use. But I watched a youtube video and read reviews about how well it performed on exterior surfaces. It comes in rattle can and liquid paint. The pics don't do it justice as my airbrush next to the parts is highly polished chrome and even it is subdued in the photos. I applied it using an airbrush but first the parts were soaked overnight in a simple green cleaning solution, sanded, cleaned, primed (I sprayed over the old metal on the plastic so the primer must be made for metal, btw), and then I used a high gloss epoxy spray paint which is relatively thick so it sorta acts as a filler plus it self levels. For chrome paints a high gloss, as-smooth-as-possible basecoat is a must. Anyway, the chrome paint can be airbrushed directly from the bottle-no thinning required, goes on very easy with about 15-20 psi and dries to the touch in 15 minutes or so. I applied two coats. The parts will have to be cleared for protection since pachinko balls will come in contact with them and unfortunately this will dull the shine a bit. However, the shine should end up looking about like the pics here since the parts are much shinier in person. The other parts in the last pic are the rear of the spinners which are plastic. Those got scrubbed, sanded, cleaned with plastic prep which I think is basically alcohol, sprayed with adhesion promoter, primed, and then sprayed with 2 coats of flat enamel.Once I get the correct green paint in I'll paint the spinners and the mounting ring. It's hard to tell in the first pic but the colors are white, orange, and green with black also on the spinner themselves.The first pic shows the disassembled spinners. Only the mounting ring were soaked overnight and they were considerably dirtier prior to this. Second pic is of the rings and the high gloss epoxy paint but the shine didn't come out in the pics.
    Last edited by emmadog; 09-11-2011 at 07:52 PM.

9. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Wow, thats probably the best chrome paint I've ever seen..

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

11. The following user says "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ohhhh shiny!!

Really nice finish

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

13. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to hanabi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

moving thru this resto pretty quickly. it's my 3rd taiyo so i've got all the techniques down plus power sanders, tumblers, correct nail tool, and soaking all parts at once in an ice chest so they'll all fit are huge time savers.
    pics:
    1. cat's paw nail puller with a metal piece underneath to prevent dimpling in plywood
    2. cel minus all parts/nails
    3. plywood minus cell. easy to remove in one piece but the paper and glue left behind must be sanded off
    4. sanded down to 600 grit
    5. rear of plywood showing dirt and cig smoke stains
    6. rear sanded down to remove most of stains

15. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

pics:
    1. plywood with adhesive vinyl for a very smooth surface. at this point it's ready for the new cel
    2. sanded but unsealed frame. sanding lightens the frame up nicely and removes smoke stains
    3. some but not all of the front plastic parts after being prepped and coated with a light mist coat of primer and ready for paint. the mist coat is done to prevent details getting covered up such as small lettering and the textured surface present on several of these parts
    4. some of the rear plastic parts after cleaning and polishing. the "control circuit" circuit board cover was completely opaque prior to cleaning. they still have Novus residue on them so they'll get a final rinse.
    Last edited by emmadog; 09-13-2011 at 02:47 PM.

17. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Wow. Your movin' fast. Looks good though.

Love how that chrome paint turned out. (probably looks better in person) I have an airbrush so I might go buy some of the liquid stuff and try it out on some parts. (Have you tried the rattle can version? If you have is it any better or worse or about equal?)

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Good question. I haven't tried the rattle can and I shy away from them. Rattle cans give you no control-it's either wide open or off. Thats fine if ur painting a large expanse but for small parts and detail work you need the control of an airbrush- preferably double action. If you have an airbrush you might as well buy just the paint. If you have to get a spray can you can decant the paint and then run it thru ur brush.

20. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

finished painting some of the smaller parts. the red on the "2" pocket is actually metallic red as per the original-just doesn't show up in the last photo. same for the metallic blue border around the rebound cover. the "2" pocket took about an hour to paint and get right and i still have to paint the interior of the number 2 black. there was no way i could mask off the white areas, even with liquid masking i doubt it woulda worked with the Japanese characters being so small. so i just sprayed the whole thing chrome then a very light coat of metallic red then figured out a technique to apply the white paint to only the areas it needed to go.
    a few before pics and an after pic of the 2 pocket, spinners, ball guides, and ball rebound cover. 2nd pic should be first.
    Last edited by emmadog; 09-13-2011 at 10:26 PM.

22. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

yea I'd like to know more on your chroming process. Thats really cool and looks pretty good!

24. The following user says "Thanks" to WondersPachi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by WondersPachi View Post
    yea I'd like to know more on your chroming process. Thats really cool and looks pretty good!
    it's not an actual chroming process. it's just a chrome finish or close to it paint called spaz stix. check out their website for info. as with any good paint job and to bring out the most reflective finish in this case, proper prep is the key. for chrome finishes the base coat has to be glass smooth or else it will just look silver.

26. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

first off I like the chrome fingers (how easily does that stuff come off? Or does it? )

second those parts look great. How did you end up painting the part in the 3rd pic.? Did you use a syringe and put it into the part or did you paint it with a brush by hand?

here is the spaz stix website by the way for those people who don't want to try to find it.
    http://www.spazstix.com/index.php

it looks like the also have some cool color changing paint (might have to get some of that for myself)

Also emmadog did you buy the paint off their site or did you buy it in a store? Because I'm trying to figure out who carries their paint because I'd rather get it in person and not have to pay shipping.

28. The following user says "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It comes off easy with paint thinner. from what I understand it's metal particles suspended in a petroleum solvent. for clarification, the 4th pic above is the finished parts pic. the other 3 are the before pics.the 3rd pic is the rebound cover. for that i cleaned and prepped the part then sprayed it with the chrome then went with a mist coat of blue over the edges to let the chrome come thru. the 3 triangles, and the round border where the nail goes were also sprayed with blue. i then used orange acrylic thinned enough to flow well. the chrome and blue were airbrushed and the orange painted on. U really just place paint in the depression and push it around with a brush so it gets in all the small spaces which is why it must be thin enough. this means that usually multiple coats are required. the 2 pocket was the trickiest. after the red metallic was done I had to paint the badly yellowed areas. only way to do it was to place the pocket in a small container and hold it down while filling slowly with properly thinned white paint until it flowed around the red areas.I ordered the chrome from the website. there may have been some locally in new orleans but shipping wasn't bad for 1 bottle.

30. The following user says "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Really amazing detail work. I'm impressed!

32. The following user says "Thanks" to flatsfisher

Thanks
    Thanks Received

i've got the machine pretty much ready to reassemble but i'm waiting on the cel. i have a local graphics shop making it for me and depending on how it turns out will dictate whether i stick with the original clown design or not which in turn affects what colors all the plastics will be painted. so meantime i went to work on the pocket cover.
    pics:
    1 old, yellowed pocket cover in situ
    2 masked and primed/painted
    3 masking removed--the original metallic red areas where masked to preserve their smooth finish
    4 remasked
    5 sprayed with chrome
    6 sprayed with red. came out a nice, deep red metallic identical to factory-unfortunately on a computer screen it just looks red

no need to mask the areas immediately around the numbers, the crane, and the two characters since those areas will be painted over, so masking was an easy day.
    the small triangles above the numbers will be hand painted.
    tomorrow i'll mask off and paint the rest of the areas.
    Last edited by emmadog; 09-15-2011 at 09:30 PM.

34. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

finally some progress and a cell phone pic:

36. The following user says "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received