Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Comicgo is on her way back!

it works great.

here is the thread on it
    http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/vint...-arepachi.html

here is where you can find the recipe for it
    http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/Retr0Bright+Gel
    Last edited by mxfaiman; 09-16-2011 at 08:43 PM.

100 machines and counting...

2. The following user says "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks...that was very interesting. I'll have to try that some day on something that bothers me enough for the effort. Have you tried it yet on any of your machines?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Just got done with an experiment with the flipper. I mixed a batch of my favorite plastic epoxy, and smoothed a thin layer on top of the pits of the flipper. Then I sanded smooth and polished with a Dremel and plastic polish. No pics because it looks exactly the same except it is amazingly smooth and the thumb slides so well across it! It will likely protect the pitted metal surface from rust. If it sticks for the long term, it will make me very happy.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Great success! Had a broken ball path that has been giving function problems since I got it. The busted up bottom kept the ball from going into the metal ball channel (not installed in this pic). Other breaks caused it to flex and allow the ball to get off center of the lift bar that trips the jackpot. This caused the payout to need help because some of the balls weight is offset and not useful. I made a replacement part out of a Listerine bottle. I actually got it right the 1st time... but all the modifications took about 2 hours. The old one can only offer so many clues, since most of it has crumbled. Many test fits. and slight modifications were made. After final test fit, with nails only half way inserted, I function tested several more times. Great success! So I hammered the nails all the way in, and function tested again. Works perfectly unless no balls are in the measuring tray (made that term up). In which case the ball can"t lift the tray. It is all balanced that close! The ball not being center was enough for it to need "help". Once satisfied that it will work properly, I nailed the nails in fully. Then I added the winning ball exit chute. Followed by more tests, then the final piece of tin. As far as the back, I only have the top tray to finish. This has been tricky, because I don't solder with a torch well. Then, how clean do I want the front? I'm thinking, sand the wood and "boiled linseed oil".
    OOPS! didn't mean to supersize the pics... but I edited to correct spelling, and the pics always do that. Also pay no attention to the attached thumbnail, (I can't seem to make mistakes go away... they always show up as attached thumbnails). Iwas trying to control flash glare by putting my finger over the flash... didn't work out so well!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pachiwall; 09-17-2011 at 04:55 AM.

6. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Sid

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by pachiwall View Post
    Thanks...that was very interesting. I'll have to try that some day on something that bothers me enough for the effort. Have you tried it yet on any of your machines?
    yes dozens of times.

I attached some before and after pics of some parts that I did. (first one is of an upper tray and the second one I did all the pockets, the C.F., the lens in the left corner, and the rolling stone feature) (also forgot you can see the before picture of the tray in Pic #3. it was really yellow same with the rolling stone feature)

Only thing I don't like is I haven't found a good way on how to put it on because I'm using a brush and it is leaving brush streaks in the plastic after I finish (hardly noticable but with the right lighting you can see them)

Btw your machine is looking great.
    Last edited by mxfaiman; 09-17-2011 at 10:01 AM.

8. The following user says "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by mxfaiman View Post
    you planning on retr-o-brighting that cover you repaired after you soak it in the jelly? Because it looks like it has some heavy yellowing on it and it could use it just to make it a little brighter. (best part on that stuff is it won't eat at most stickers and won't hurt the paint at all)
    if ur talking about retr0bright in this case then i should mention that it has eaten the paint off many parts i have used it on. for me, that was a good thing since the parts were repainted anyway but could be a huge bummer in some cases.
    you could alleviate that by using the gel method but it's messy and not very practical on small parts when trying to avoid getting it on paint.
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

10. The following user says "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'm not planning on using it on this piece, I'm having enough problems with the nails! success 001.jpg That's the 2nd corner to break! The top corner near the big circle stills has rust plug in it ,and I'm leaving it alone! I'll just drill pilot holes and add brass nails elsewhere.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by emmadog View Post
    if ur talking about retr0bright in this case then i should mention that it has eaten the paint off many parts i have used it on. for me, that was a good thing since the parts were repainted anyway but could be a huge bummer in some cases.
    you could alleviate that by using the gel method but it's messy and not very practical on small parts when trying to avoid getting it on paint.
    Well what ever I do it doesn't eat at any of the paint or stickers (except the paper ones). Then again I also noticed that the part I retr0brighted is starting to yellow again. Maybe I'm just not mixing that stuff right.

What do you use to apply it with emmadog? I've been using a plastic paint brush but I notice that afterwards it leaves brush marks in the plastic.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

hmmm i've never heard of it leaving brush strokes in the plastic or premature yellowing whether on here, thru my experiences, or in the wiki forum about retr0bright. in any case that's not good and could be a result of a number of things-improper recipe, wrong type of plastic (not ABS), etc. i pretty much stopped retr0brighting but for awhile i was doing it all the time and i refined my procedure. first, as you know i use UVB bulbs-it rains down here and i try to eliminate as many variables as possible. also, i only use the liquid method-it's just two ingredients and i can make a large batch for 5 bucks or so. gel method is just too much trouble. trying to glop it on in just the right places and having to reapply are a pain. but for large pieces it's sometimes the only way to go or so i thought until i bought a cheap ice chest. it's big enough to hold any pachinko part so now all i do is throw the parts in, mix the two ingredients, clip the UVB bulbs on the side and forget about it. it literally only takes me 5 minutes to set it all up and get it going.
    i use the high H2O2 concentrate stuff at beauty stores. it's says "40 Vol" on the side and costs about 2-3 bucks for a quart. don't get the creme style, only use the clear liquid kind.
    that's odd that ur plastic is yellowing again. theoretically it should yellow at the same rate as it did originally since this is an actual reversal of the yellowing process and not a bleaching or whitening.
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

14. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

thanks emmadog I'll post some pictures a little later to show you all.

(sorry about the thread hijack pachiwall)

Thanks
    Thanks Received

No problem, I'm learning: and I'll be able to find this information easily now!

17. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by mxfaiman View Post
    thanks emmadog I'll post some pictures a little later to show you all.
    I promise. I deliver. Here is a picture of the rolling stone feature. After retr0bright it was almost perfectly withe but it is slowly starting to oxidize agin. (It has only been about 2 weeks) Sorry it is kinda faint in the picture but if you look closly you will see it. (It looks worse in person) If you can't see it look closly around the nail head inbetween the jaws.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Angry Re: Comicgo is on her way back!

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread ...sandstorm 001.jpg Now I need some finer sandpaper. I also need to buy a piece of wood to repair this.sandstorm 003.jpgsandstorm 002.jpg Does anyone know what kind of wood this should be? I thought of just making a piece to fit, but would look better, be stronger and most importantly, be easier to just remove and replace the whole strip of wood. These stains go deep and won't sand out without removing too much wood.sandstorm 006.jpg It won't be too much of a problem because the plate will cover most of it.sandstorm 005.jpg It just made sense to do the sanding before I spent too much time cleaning the cell.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

This piece turned out OK,Sportin wood 005.jpg and I could use it except I know where the problems are.Sportin wood 001.jpg I used a 1X2 of poplar from Lowe's. Less than $3 so I can try again. It looks like a near perfect match as bare wood, how does it soak up the boiled linseed oil is another question. The problem is, I cut it too short!Sportin wood 002.jpgWith all the things I have made...of wood, or otherwise; you would have thought I'd have learned this lesson by now!Sportin wood 003.jpg I didn't radius the front edge completely, just enough to get a feel for what method to use. I also haven't cut the mortices out for the 2 tenons in the bottom of the face.Sportin wood 004.jpg I'm going to do that, just to know what NOT to do to my next piece. I did this at about 1am last night almost completely with a table saw, using a belt sander for the radius on the back. The mortice will probably be done with a drill and chisel. No glue was used on the original frame at all. Not sure if I will use any in addition to nails or not.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

And how could I have missed posting this DOOZIE!danm 002.jpgdanm 003.jpg The radius of the sawblade makes it bigger on the bottom of the blade. And yet I fall for it again!danm 001.jpg It was the first cut I made. And even if it cant be seen, I'll know it is there!
    I think I'll make my next one out of RED OAK. That would make a nice stripe of color across the front.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by pachiwall View Post
    I think I'll make my next one out of RED OAK. That would make a nice stripe of color across the front.
    don't use red oak. If anything use birch or mapel. They were orginally oak but not red oak. The red oak will just look odd. It will make you look at that piece even more.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I lust bought a piece of MAHOGANY. You think RED OAK will stand out, get a load of this... Well... you know, I gotta make it first!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well here is my test piece.MAHOGANY #1 002.jpg And each corner.MAHOGANY #1 003.jpg Driver side...MAHOGANY #1 004.jpg And Passenger side!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

neat idea. now you get a little table area for your and

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Probably not gonna use this. Just playing around and wanted to see what it would look like. I've got 2 more chances.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast