Thread: Removing nails

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Cool Removing nails

Hi all,

I have been trawling through various threads and reading about how nails are removed. I've also watched a video of a modified corkscrew being used.

Can anyone please tell me:
    1. What you use to remove both playing field nails and also what you use to remove the little nails that hold the play tracks in place?
    2. How to modify a corkscrew?
    3. What a moddified 'nibbler' is?

Thank you!
    Julia

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Removing nails

It's much easier to buy a cat's paw nail puller for a few bucks than modifying a tool that still won't work as well. Work smarter not harder. With a cats paw u can remove all the nails in 8-10 minutes if that. They're at hardware stores or online for cheap. The tracks are either held in by flattened wire or flattened nails with wire being more common. If it's wire just get a flathead screwdriver and pry the ends up from the rear of the playfield. Once all are removed from a sectio of track just pull it out. If it's the nail type then gently use something to insert b/t track and PF and pry up a little at a time.
    Last edited by emmadog; 07-31-2011 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

3. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Cheers Emma - Looking through wiki I was concerned that the nails will be fine, but I'll damage the playing field. How do you manage to keep it OK?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Place a thin piece of wood or plexi to go in between the puller and the playfield to spread the force out over a larger area. Another handy tool is a nail puller mounted on a screwdriver handle. It's basically a small prybar with a V notch cut into it. Not for nail removal on the playfield but to help pry the track up.

6. The following user says "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have found the key to pulling playfield nails has less to do with the particular tools than it does with the angle at which the force is applied to the nails. The wrong angle of force will do two bad things: bend the nail, and distort the hole in the wood. Whatever system you choose you want to have the force applied as close to vertical as possible.

Personally I accomplish this by using a small screwdriver handle as a fulcum and some small bent-nose needlenose pliers as the lever. The screwdriver handle is just over 3/4" in diameter, a little higher than the prodtruding portion of the nails. I slide the pliers under the heads of the nails and then lever them almost directly upward. It takes me about 15 minutes to pull them all.

The other little nails and brads that hold other parts on, well, that gets scary often. I have found patience to be the best tool. If you don't have that, you will bend, break, and crack plenty of parts and pieces.

8. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Rival

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I use a modified corkscrew puller for mine. I bought the corkscrew at taget for about $3. The I drilled out the rivet that held the actual corkscrew part in and then I pulled it out. I replaced it with a piece of metal bent at 90 degreese with a V cut in the end of it (I couldn't replace the rivet so I just glued in this part; sorry I forgot what I used on it). The only other mod that you have to do to this is I would personally cut off the legs on it and then glue on some pieces of plywood as it is much stronger than the aluminum feet that were on it. I personally like the corkscrew puller because it just makes it easy on you all you have to do is push down on the arms and the nail pops up. No pulling at odd angles and putting pieces of wood under your puller. Below are some pictures of my puller.
    Attached Images Attached Images

100 machines and counting...

10. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Never had an issue with bent nails or enlarging the nail holes but I always use brand new nails in my restorations. The cats paw that I have is angled so the force is upwards but to each his own. I'd rather get it done ASAP with minimum tools and tool mods.

12. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Rival View Post
    I have found patience to be the best tool. If you don't have that, you will bend, break, and crack plenty of parts and pieces.
    I can see a few things getting broken!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

For all the little nails I would recommend a putty knife. Or take a piece of 1/16" sheet metal bend it at a 90 and cut a V in it and then you instantly got the flattest pry bar anyone can make (that is still efficient). These are about the only tools I use for pulling up the little pins.

15. The following user says "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

how do i remove the pockets from the front or back to access the linkage? mine needs cleaned because the pockets are not opening and closing like they use too.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Very carefully. Use a small flat head screwdriver or a mini nail puller to get between the nail and the pocket and gently pry up till u get enough nail exposed to grab with pliers. You may have to pry behind the pocket itself and the pocket will push the nails out. Go slow and be very careful.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It's actually pretty easy if you have the back mechanism off. Just a few light taps from the rear with a small hammer and punch tool strategicly placed will loosen the nails enough to grab from the front.

Although, removing the back mechanism just to pull tulips is a bit ridiculous. From the front, a small putty knife and patience are your best tools.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by emmadog View Post
    Very carefully. Use a small flat head screwdriver or a mini nail puller to get between the nail and the pocket and gently pry up till u get enough nail exposed to grab with pliers. You may have to pry behind the pocket itself and the pocket will push the nails out. Go slow and be very careful.
    exactly how i do it

i love my mini nail pullers
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I made a simple and temporary modification to an everyday pliers as posted in this thread:

http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/show...l=1#post419489

I was able to twist a bit and pull at the same time and they came straight out. None of the heads show any apparent damage.

As for the tiny nails holding in the tulips, I slid the tip of a common kitchen stake knife between the tulip and the playfield and twisted it ever so slightly as to raise the nail enough to grab with the pliers. I was careful not to twist the knife too much to prevent bending anything. Most of the tiny nails had very weak resistance.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by mxfaiman View Post
    For all the little nails I would recommend a putty knife. Or take a piece of 1/16" sheet metal bend it at a 90 and cut a V in it and then you instantly got the flattest pry bar anyone can make (that is still efficient). These are about the only tools I use for pulling up the little pins.

I have found this as being the best way to pull them out. (besides a putty knife) It is really easy to make. Only down side is you kinda have to reflatten the head every once in a while. (because it in't hardened) But that is easy work if you have a vice.