Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My cocktail MAME cabinet conversion project

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default My cocktail MAME cabinet conversion project

For anyone that missed my original thread My new (soon) toy I was given a Williams Defender II Stargate cocktail arcade cabinet yesterday and after troubleshooting it I know the rom board is shot and the monitor may not work ether so instead of dumping a lot of mony into it I have decided to turn it into a MAME. I have my old computer, it is a Pent 3 600Mhz with 768Mb ram and after I replace the toasted hard disk it will have a 300GB drive and Win xp (or win 7).

I plan to document the whole thing but want some advice on what MAME software to use as this is new ground for me and I don't have a clue where to start
    the

LLTR

2. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to owennewton

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: My cocktail MAME cabinet conversion project

If you are into the classics or cocktail type games they have a 60 in 1 board that is plug and play and you can easily hook up a PC monitor, alot easier and more authentic feeling than a mame cab. Just search around klov etc.
    Last edited by crassmage; 07-20-2011 at 04:25 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

4. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to crassmage

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I honestly don't think it would cost much to get it working again. A dead monitor is sometimes an easy fix and I'm sure you can either repair or find another ROM board.

Personally, I wouldn't convert it to a MAME. You get it working, it'll be more valuable as an original, dedicated game.

6. The following user says "Thanks" to Ripweade

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I spent most of the day cleaning dust out of my old desktop that got mothballed due to the click of death in the hard drive. I booted it up and cleaned out the drive and just as I was about to add the one I had planned to use it gave it's final click and not even bios could find it again. so I spent over a half hour finding my xp pro disk, moved drives around, rearranged cables and put my 300gb drive in and went to install the OS. after 7 failed attempts to format it and two tries at quick formatting I gave up on it and went on a quest to find a working hard drive in my assorted piles of junk. I ended up trashing 9 hard drives in the last two days but did find an 80gb one to put in the puter. Now it has a working os on it but I had to give up as I had spent over 6 hours today messing with it just trying to make the machine work.

Back at it tomorrow
    the

LLTR

8. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to owennewton

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Good luck. Don't give up.
    Ian #UKPachinko

10. The following user says "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Here are some pics if my work so far just getting the computer working 100_2271.jpg
    and now with mame working 100_2276.jpg100_2277.jpg

and I think I am good to goclose enough.jpg

Kidding I am still not ready to tear into the cab yet but I am making my plans for when I do
    the

LLTR

12. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to owennewton

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by crassmage View Post
    If you are into the classics or cocktail type games they have a 60 in 1 board that is plug and play and you can easily hook up a PC monitor, alot easier and more authentic feeling than a mame cab. Just search around klov etc.
    I've been exploring getting one of those boards. They only work in JAMMA compatible cabinets, and Defender predates the JAMMA standard. It's not impossible... the wiring and such is available, but it may be more work than it's worth. Might be easier to sell the cocktail Defender machine, and buy what you want.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by drsfmd View Post
    I've been exploring getting one of those boards. They only work in JAMMA compatible cabinets, and Defender predates the JAMMA standard. It's not impossible... the wiring and such is available, but it may be more work than it's worth. Might be easier to sell the cocktail Defender machine, and buy what you want.
    seeing as it was free, all the buttons work, I have a computer just sitting there becoming more obsolete as the days go by and I just like the idea of having a cocktail cab I will make this work. I am already working on replacement button panels in my head as I can use the buttons that are already there, just need two joysticks, an interface and time and I should have a good little toy, not as cool as others I have seen but with much less invested I can deal with it.
    the

LLTR

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I drilled all the rivets out of my computer case so I have the side to mount the mother board to and the rack for the drives. I will mount the motherboard to the bottom of the case where the power supply board is right now. I plan to mount the drive rack behind the coin door so I have easy access to the cd rom (I know I don't need one but it is mine and I can do what I want ) I will also mount the power, reset and usb ports there so I can get to everything. I did find the power switch on the bottom when I flipped it over to replace the rotting (and most of three missing) feet. but as I have it on a power strip (when it is not safely unplugged) I don't need to worry about the switch.
    the

LLTR

16. The following user says "Thanks" to owennewton

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Owen I am in total awe at what you are doing. You guys who know computers and electronics just humble me. I am an old school analog guy, a dinosaur.I know gears and pumps and pullies,and basic wireing,but electronics,just shoot me.Any way Iam watching your progress with anasement good work.Iam always learning here at pachitalk. Thanks
    IMAGINATION IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN KNOWLEDGE

18. The following user says "Thanks" to yose

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

:ditto:

Switches and relays I understand. Show me an IC then its
    Ian #UKPachinko

20. The following user says "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I did let a good amount of the magic blue smoke out of things before I got an understanding of how things work, now I have (almost) no fear of taking meters to hot circuits trying to probe out the problem. I still need to get the Sunn Beta bass amp working but that will be an expensive one as I have replaced all the cheap parts and it still has the buzz
    the

LLTR

22. The following user says "Thanks" to owennewton

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Today I did the big task of gutting the cabinet. The monitor is good, it was receving the right power, just no signal at all. The sound board is good, the rom board is junk, the motherboard is likely junk as I found some bad traces on the bottom and a cut where someone sawed into the board when trying to get a screw out (Baka Hagi) and the power suply board had melted the joints off of two of the caps and a trace had peeled away thus explaining why the 5 and 6.3 volt sections were not working right. I think I can fix it so I will give it a shot as now I want to get another arcade machine to try and restore at some point. anyway, this thing is dirty as heck inside and I will need to spend a bit of time cleaning it out tomorrow.

Here are some pics100_2287.jpg100_2286.jpg100_2285.jpg100_2284.jpg100_2288.jpg100_2289.jpg100_2289.jpg100_2290.jpg100_2291.jpg100_2292.jpgthese were all before I started the stripping of the guts, next post will have the aftermath
    the

LLTR

24. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to owennewton

Thanks
    Thanks Received

last of the before pics 100_2293.jpg100_2303.jpg100_2304.jpgand what it looks like now 100_2309.jpg100_2310.jpg100_2311.jpg100_2312.jpg100_2313.jpg100_2314.jpgas you can see there is a lot of rust and corrosion on some of the parts so it has spent some time in a very damp location. My plan for tomorrow is to clean it out as best as I can and try to get my computer components mounted in it, I doubt I wll have it running bit I hope I can get that far. After it is together and running I think I will be forced to take a break until I can buy the interface for the buttons and build the panels I want for it. Until then I will just have a keyboard on it but I will hook up the lights in the original panels and the coin door so it will have an authentic glow and I can just leave the thing in the attract mode for Stargate nd I doubt anyone could tell without looking close that it is not original.
    the

LLTR

26. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to owennewton

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Simply amazing,I would't have a clue as to where to start the overhaul.you da man
    IMAGINATION IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN KNOWLEDGE

Thanks
    Thanks Received

this was the easy part, only trouble was unbundling some of the wire runs to get things out. I had to cut 5 wires, one from the ginormous transformer to the power suply that was a hard connection and not in the bundle, 2 that sent line voltage to the monitor and two that crossed from the harness I am keeping in the machine into the two big harnesses I took out. the rest was just unplugging things and taking out a ton of screws, things I have done for 30 years of taking stuff apart. The first third of that things never went back together. Second third things that did not work at first worked after being put back together (yet things that did work first did not after a tear down and rebuild). and the last decade of this things that may or may not work come apart and get mixed together into something new that will work most if the time. (I think I just described the childhood of a few others on here as well)
    the

LLTR

29. The following user says "Thanks" to owennewton

Thanks
    Thanks Received

the first shock i ever got was when i was a little kid i stuck a bobby pin in a wall outlet, I never did that again
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have been shocked so many times they just sorta blend together (other than a few that stand out from being so bad)

The cab is coming along great, after I cleaned all the crud out of it I modified my mount for the motherboard and started installing bits 100_2325.jpg100_2327.jpghere it is with everything needed to run installed. I need to clean up the wires a bit still and I still need to wire in the lights but it is running. 100_2337.jpg100_2336.jpg100_2333.jpg Here is the coin door and my secret behind it 100_2334.jpg100_2335.jpg the drives and my power switches. and the display 100_2330.jpg100_2331.jpg
    the

LLTR

32. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to owennewton

Thanks
    Thanks Received

One thing I am still struggling with is cooling. I don't know if positive pressure (2 fans blowing in) or negative pressure (2 fans blowing out) would help better. Cross venting is not going to work as it would miss the power supply and it is the largest heat source and is off to the side of where I can mount the fans.

Any thoughts?
    the

LLTR

Thanks
    Thanks Received

could you mount the fans on the bottom??
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast