Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Nishijin Rolling Stone Restoration

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Nishijin Rolling Stone Restoration

Well the past few days I took my Nishijin model B Rolling Stone apart. Attached at the bottom I have some pictures; the first one is what it looked like before I touched it. The 3rd picture is of the upper ball tray before I really did anything to it. The 4th picture is what it looked like after I retro-brighted it. Here is the thread on retro-bright, http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/vint...-arepachi.html

What I have planed for this machine is to put a new cell on it (that is why everything is off the playfield). But I don’t plan on putting the original style cell back in I plan on putting a PAC cell in it instead (see last picture). Because Bill over at vintage pachinko had this machine in his museum and at the time I think he called it a Pac-Man machine. Plus the rolling stone on the side looks like pac-man and the pockets at the bottom look like the ghosts. So I thought that the PAC background would fit going on a "pac-man" machine.

We are also trying to find a way to cover up the third hole on the bottom. It looked like someone put a shooter knob on this machine at one point. But now we are just trying to figure out how to cover it up. We don't want to redo the Formica and we don't have the cover that comes off the ball tray back panel to cover it up. Anyone have any suggestions on how to cover it up and yet still make it look nice? Also does anyone possibly have the cover that comes off the lower ball tray panel?
    Attached Images Attached Images

100 machines and counting...

2. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Nishijin Rolling Stone Restoration

what about diamond plate plastic or thin metal???
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

4. The following user says "Thanks" to luckydog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

That Retrobrite process is amazing!! As for the hole, how about an emblem of some sort? Maybe there is a pachinko related emblem on eBay that is cheap and would cover it.
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

6. The following user says "Thanks" to JACKSJE4

Thanks
    Thanks Received

well I was thinking about putting like an on off switch for lights. Because I was thinking about putting some LED strip lights along the top. But Then I started thinking I don't want to put too much money into this machine because I'm going to sell it off. We'll see. Thanks for the ideas.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hi Max,
    Nice work !

I have seen that bottom hole on some machines and it was tied into the parlor alert light. Will pm you some pictures when I get to that machine; it is buried right now...
    Maybe tie it into the jackpot light and add another bulb there? Or just cover it up with a Ms. Pac Man sticker... ;-)
    PACHINKO - Nishijin Model A, 2005 Newgin Cutie Honey, 2015 TAKAO Queen's Blade 2
    BUBBLE HOCKEY - SUPER CHEXX PRO | MAME - 4 Player Entertainment Center
    PINBALL - Williams Grand Lizard

9. The following user says "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

just fill it with wood filler and find yourself a nice Pac-man decal to cover the filler
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'd put a little chrome bolt in there

12. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to WondersPachi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for all of the Ideas. I think I'm going to change my mind. I'm either going to put a light in down there or I will use the idea of putting a chrome bolt in it. Though I like the idea of putting a mrs. pac-man sticker there Though that most likey won't last very long and it will look kinda cheesey.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

How about this for a background?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ARCADE-GAME-POST...item5ae11a547f

I have a Rolling Stone as well but thought about doing a Rolling Stones background. Only problem is that the cell is perfect and I cant find the guts to tear it apart.

Have fun with your project!!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Microbus99 View Post
    How about this for a background?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ARCADE-GAME-POSTER-PAC-MAN-SCREEN-Video-Pacman-/390323655807?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae11a547f

I have a Rolling Stone as well but thought about doing a Rolling Stones background. Only problem is that the cell is perfect and I cant find the guts to tear it apart.

Have fun with your project!!
    I thought about doing something like that but then I figured it would make the buyer crowd narrower. So that is why I went with a standard issue cell that still fit the theme of the machine.

I have the same feeling about what your saying about replacing a perfectly good background. I have some 5 tunnel machine that I wanted to replace the cells on all of them for a project. But half of them have cells with great color and little to no water staining. So I'm probably going to pick some other machines to do that with.

Then again thinking about it i do have another one in a model A version that has a pretty heavily water stained cell
    Last edited by mxfaiman; 07-13-2011 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

16. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have this one already in anticipation of actually doing it. Wether it will happen or not reamains to be seen. I picked this one considering the placement of the tulips, center feature, etc.

stones 2.jpg

18. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Microbus99

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Microbus99 View Post
    I have this one already in anticipation of actually doing it. Wether it will happen or not reamains to be seen. I picked this one considering the placement of the tulips, center feature, etc.

That is cool. ▲ That was also the issue with the pack man background is that the tuilps and everything else would cut out the center, which would take away the main part of the background.

20. The following user says "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

This model appears to be one of the 1973 Nishijins that were retrofitted in 1976 with the addition of the knob-shooting mechanisms. And then somewhere along the way, someone removed it. It might be more fun to try and find the knob mechanism and restore it as a retrofit than to try and turn it back into the standard 1973 from whence it came.

This looks like one of the odd examples where a machine was removed from service after a year, retired, and then dug up and retrofitted for a second year of service. Either way, you have your work cut out for you. Looks like tons of fun!

Going with the PAC background is a good choice since it is a correct background for a 1973 Nishijin. 48S-F.
    Last edited by Rival; 07-15-2011 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Okay I have another update on the machine.

I have taken the cell off of the machine and now I need to sand the back and put the new cell on and then this machine will start to go back together.

Also I was thinking about taking off the green ball tray at the bottom and replacing it with the brown one. Truthfully I don’t see the green matching with the upper tray. I find that the brown tray ties in with the brown band on the upper tray better. Anyone have any opinions or thoughts on it? I’m open to suggestions.

sorry I do have pictures that I would like to post but I'm having some issues with them at the moment. I will post them at some point.
    Last edited by mxfaiman; 07-19-2011 at 02:25 PM.

23. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Okay I finally figured out what my issue was with my pictures.

I have them attached at the bottom.

The first one is of the back in its current state. The second one is of the frame in its current state. And the third one is of the brown tray I discribed above.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Okay I have another update.

I had this done a few days ago but didn’t want to post it till i have the pervious post completely posted.

I know have the new cell on the backboard and it looks good. The first picture is of the background before we went and cut all of the holes out. The second picture is after we cut all the hole out.

Also in this time period I was able to locate the chrome cover that goes over the shooter handle. (Thanks James it fits great I doubted you I could have sworn that I tired it on already, I guess I didn’t.) The third picture is of the cover; that is exactly how I received it I don’t know how it will clean up. I’m planning on painting the two stripes on the bottom red (or some other color). I hope it cleans up at the moment it is sitting in a tub of diluted simple green. I’m going to go and scrub it here in a little while. I’ll post some pictures of it after I got it as clean as I can. (Hopefully it gets cleaner I don’t want to repaint the whole thing.)

Sorry the third picture didn't load the file is too big I'll have to shrink it down later this afternoon and I'll post it then.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Okay I reduced the file size and cleaned the out of the cover.

The first picture is what it looked like when I received it from James. The second picture is it after I have "cleaned" it (if you want to call it clean). And then the third picture is what it might look like if I decide to paint it (because the pink paint won't come out easily) Please let me know your opinions on the paint choices. Just keep in mind I want it to go with this machine so I want to keep it fun and exciting.
    Last edited by mxfaiman; 07-22-2011 at 06:48 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

have you tried paint stripper???

strippers are good

i have a free sample from work.. i can mail next week if ya think it will help???
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Nope I have a gallon of stripper and thinner. Thanks for the offer.

But I think I found something that may take it off. But I won't know till tomarrow.

29. The following user says "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

You know how I said I won't know till tomarrow. I was wrong I meant today that stuff worked faster than I thought.

Here is what I used: http://www.orange-sol.com/contractors/index.html

Get it in the sray form. Spray it on the area scrub it a little (I use and old toothbrush). Then let it sit for a little while. Then go back and scrub it again. Then wait a little while and then wipe it off. Then repeat if the pain hasn't come off. This stuff work great. Also good for getting off really stuck on stickers (I had to clean a few off some tonka trucks).

Attached is a picture of the cover in its current state. I'm going to use some Bare -Metal Foil on the bottom to redo the chrome. And I will be painting some portions do to the chrome peeling off (water got under the chrome which is making it peel off).

31. The following user says "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast