Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sanyo Arepachi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Sanyo Arepachi

Some pics of a Sanyo arepachi with a boxing theme. The boxers in the lower diamond move and there's a few LEDs above them. Looks like the various pockets register as hits/knockouts. I'm having the labels translated now so I'll post that info later.
    It has a similar layout to my Baseball themed Kyoraku but this is the first Sanyo arepachi I've seen.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

2. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Sanyo Arepachi

Few more:

4. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

nice looking
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

6. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well howdy stranger.
    Yep it's interesting and the score "book keeping' is the same as my Kyoraku with the 5 lights in the upper left. When I see similarities like that I wonder if companies copied off each other or if designs were even trademarked like everything is here in the U.S...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

can you post a picture of the whole front of the machine? Sorry it gets kinda hard to put all those pictures together to try to piece the machine together.

nice looking machine by the way.

100 machines and counting...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

This is the best I can do at the moment:

10. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

here's the translation and it sounds unique compared to any other arepachi i've seen yet in regards to pushing the button when lit to have 4 more balls dispensed.
    1st Page
    These instructions use the English word “point” to indicate the points of which you need 4 to get one real point that is added to the score. The real points are called “ten,” the Japanese word for point. I capitalized point (POINT) to indicate the “real” points.

1 Point/ 2 Points Each/ Down- 4 Points (1 POINT)/ KO- Maximum Scoring/ Return Match- Score supplemented with 4 more balls fired/ Replay- Shoot another ball

How to Play: No scoring for up to 3 points (indicated by the 3 lamps in the ring). 4 points will become 1 POINT which is added to score.
    KO- Maximum Scoring. Game ends even if there are balls remaining.
    Return Match- Push button while lamp is lit to dispense 4 balls and continue play.

2nd Page
    Manufacturer: Sanyo
    The rest is just phone numbers for the main office and branch offices of Sanyo.

12. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I was wondering who snatched this up in my hood! I had a funny feeling it was the Arepachi King. I'm glad that you got it, and will probably restore it beautifully. Have you been able to access the rear? I was guessing two conclusions: no guts, or the mechanics/electronics would be pristine b/c of the box. Oh, and I'm sure due to past practice this will happen, but don't forget the video of it in play please!!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for the complement. When I contacted the seller I was surprised to hear that I was the only responder to he ad at that time, so I made an offer. Anyway, it was the typical case of a seller not knowing anything about the machine. I explained to him how to open the back to check for broken/ missing components but he was unsuccessful. There's a lock on the upper left front of the game which is something I've never seen before so maybe that's what gave him trouble. It'll be at my local UPS facility Monday for delivery on Tues. or Wed. at the latest. I'll post plenty of pics and a YouTube vid to go along with my other arepachi vids. Don't know if I'll restore it or not. Depends on overall condition. I'll keep ya posted.

15. The following user says "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Sweet. Unfortunately for me, I worked 13 hrs on the 4th when it was listed. The seller told me I was #2 in line, and also told me your offer (probably trying to goad me into offering more - no dice). I also thought the lock was unusual. I hope that bad boy works out of the box - I have a feeling it will since no one w/o the key would have been able to monkey around with the backside.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I ended up seeing the ad a few hours after it was posted. Still surprised at the low responses. I'm sure he was trying to increase you're offer. The mount I offered was for the machine, shipping, and having UPS pack it. Which is the only way I have machines shipped to me. Costs more but worth it. I have no idea if it will work out of the box. Whoever owned it prior to the seller may have had the keys. Ive had two machines so far that were intact but still didn't work. One was my Kyoraku baseball which had some broken traces on the circuit board. I resoldered those and no more provblems with that machine. The other is a Satomi Buffalo that had some bad capacitors and resistors. For that I sent the boards out to be refurbished and cleaned. Luckily with this old technology repairing boards is easy. Biggest problem I had was with a Satomi "Robots". It arrived from Japan missing it's two circuit boards. For that I contacted an engineer, gave him the rules of gameplay, and sent him the machine. He then programmed chips and built new boards based on a PIC microcontroller sytem. Pretty amazing work. So you never know till it gets home. But overall though considering the age and traveling these machines have done, they're very durable and well built thanks to their commercial design.
    Last edited by emmadog; 07-09-2011 at 09:47 AM.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The UPS man came a day earlier than I was expecting and dropped off the "Sanyo Ball". It's in pretty good shape with the normal grime and some corrosion on the interior metal parts-namely the coin overflow box and the mount it sits in. The cel is just about flawless with some superficial staining that I thought was a water stain but it came off with a swipe of a finger.
    The interior components look fine and the circuit board which is always my main concern, is clean and all the traces on the back are intact. Interestingly, there are 3 small metal posts next to the large blue capacitor. There's two removable wires attached to two of the posts that can be accessed thru a hole in a green plastic cover (not pictured). Not sure what the purpose is but it may be to limit the payout to 5. There's a sticker on the top front denoting that 5 is the max which is common on many machines and is adjustable.
    The top center feature diverts ball one of three ways. Left and right to award a point to that boxer or straight out the bottom into another pocket. The lower feature shows the two boxers that are each moved by a solenoid when hits are scored. There's also 3 LEDs above the two boxers and five LEDs on each bottom side of the diamond.
    I think this is abut the most complex arepachi (though I guess it's technically not an arepachi since there's no number matrix) as far as rules and gameplay goes and spitting out additional balls when certain criteria are met plus 12 pockets.
    The big question is does it work?
    I don't know- the one thing missing is the transformer. The plug that comes from the machine to insert into a transformer has several leads on it. I've identified the 24V leads for the coin dispense solenoid but I'll have to contact my electronics buddy to hash out the other ones. I'm not about to guess and fry anything so I'll post back on that. As for cleaning/restoring goes I'm going to disassemble everything in the back and clean and polish. The ashtray and coin area will be restored but the cel is in great shape so that will remain as is. The wooden frame will be sanded down and have a matte clear applied.

first two pics are of the several dozen tokens that came with machine
    3rd is of the rear of cel showing the microswitches and two solenoids that move the boxers
    4th is of cel
    5th is closeup of lower boxer feature and all the LEDs
    6th is coin strip
    7th is of upper right
    8th is of in and out coin counters, coin overflow box, and coin box mount
    9th is of top center feature. the left hole is visible in this pic.
    Last edited by emmadog; 07-11-2011 at 08:04 PM.

19. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Couple more:
    Circuit board and front of machine.

21. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Make that 14 pockets instead of 12. I figured out that all the secondaries on the transformer are 24V. Now to find a transformer with multiple 24V secondaries.

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Wow, thats a really cool pachi..I hope it works!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

24. The following user says "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Update:
    Turns out this machine requires both a 24V and a 5V power supply. At least that's the deduction from my engineer friend who's done a bunch of work for me in the past. I sent him hi-res pics of every electrical component on the machine to guide me in powering it up correctly. I haven't starting the tear down process or even started to clean it yet because I want to get it working first.
    One pic shows something interesting and that is the machine was originally designed to pay out 10 tokens. The blue and green metal sticker in the pic was covering those numbers up. I'm fairly certain this was done at the factory since that sticker definitely is a factory item and the sticker at the top right of the frame (not visible in pic) is a Sanyo sticker advising the player that the max payout is 5. So the 3 posts on the circuit board with the removable jumpers may change b/t 5 and 10. Cheaper for the factory too. Not sure if I'll keep it at 5 or keep the sticker off and keep it at 10 if I can in fact, change it.
    Other pic is of the instructions once again. This game scores in points of which 4 points equal 1 token and is something I've never seen on an arepachi-type machine. There's a total of 15 pockets. I originally thought one of the pockets was a pass thru. The point values for each of the pockets are shown next to each picture on the instructions with a KO ending the game and paying out 5 tokens and 2 of the 15 pockets giving 4 points or 1 token. Not sure if those pay out right away or if it's added to the score display. As each point is made the red, yellow, and blue bordered lights in the top of the boxing ring light up and I'm assuming go out at the 4th point. There's also lights under both sides of the ring but I don't know what they do yet
    Not sure what criteria need to be made to use the rematch button to get 4 more balls and not sure if the boxers move for each point or when a token is earned or what.
    Last edited by emmadog; 07-20-2011 at 05:39 PM.

26. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Latest is that the the guru has the circuit board and all the electrical components (removed from machine) to fully evaluate and make sure all is well. He figured and I agreed it would be the best way to find and fix any issues if there are any. So I packed everything up and shipped it out. Also, it's a much easier way to assess things as opposed to shipping out the entire machine. That is, if you're tearing the machine down anyway.
    So while that's going on I've repainted the play field features and am letting them cure before applying a matte clear. Luckily they were all joined to the cell via nails with no spirals.
    I included a pic of part of my collection of Liquitex soft body acrylic paints. They're better than the craft store brand acrylics (particularly metallics) but are considerably more expensive. I bought sets for cheap on ebay until I had all the colors then resold the duplicates. Thin with Liquitex airbrush medium for painting and airbrushing. I rarely use enamels anymore unless it's for high wear areas plus I can airbrush inside with acrylics. It dries to a matte finish which is the finish that most pachinkos I've seen have on the cel features and other colored accent areas. Once dry, I clear with matte or satin.
    Other pic is of uncleaned frame, cel, and rear frame. Cel's in very good shape so there's no need to replace it and rear wooden frame will be resanded and finished as per my other arrange balls. Metal parts are in the tumbler as well.
    The most challenging but not impossible restoration aspect is replicating the chromed plastic finish with the multiple steps involved. The coin tray and surrounding areas on this machine weren't in bad shape at all after some Novus but there was some slight pitting. Actually, pitting is not the right word since there's no depression just small pinpoints of discoloration. So I've got the parts prepped and the ridiculously pricey liquid metal stuff on standby. Just waiting for some decent weather conditions to airbrush the various layers.
    Forgot to mention previously that the lock on the upper left corner of frame is to open the front glass. Never seen that before.
    • File Type: jpg 12.jpg (47.0 KB, 13 views)
    • File Type: jpg b.jpg (70.0 KB, 17 views)
    • File Type: jpg a.jpg (69.7 KB, 17 views)
    Last edited by emmadog; 07-25-2011 at 09:24 PM.

28. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Some of the progress so far: Removed the PF parts, repainted them, and have reattached them to the machine. Polished nails and disassembled/cleaned the two solenoids that release all the balls on game start or just 4 balls. Like pachinko design in general, the selective ball release is a simple yet ingenious mechanism. I'll post pics of all that once I'm done with the machine. The two coin strip lenses were polished with novus 2 and the recessed Japanese characters were repainted.
    Still have more work to do such as refinishing the coin overflow box and cleaning the multitude of micro switches. The multi volt power supply should be finished by the end of this upcoming week.

phone cam pics:

30. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Pics of the custom power supply for this machine shipping out Monday. The 20 "warm white" LEDs in the other pic are to replace the super hot mini lamps in another arrangeball yet will replicate the original color.
    Last edited by emmadog; 08-20-2011 at 07:51 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

the power supply should be here tomorrow but i won't be able to hook it all up and do a test run due to travel. hopefully next week i'll get to it.
    anyway, here's yet another pic of the front but with the lower marquee cleaned and installed. still have to do the coin/ashtray assembly but that can wait.
    i'm lazy and these iphone pics aren't the best but i don't have to resize them.
    the other three pics are of the 4 ball or 16 ball mechanism.
    so the 3 pics are the inside rear of the machine where the balls hang out after being shot, there's no pockets like in a typical arrangeball. they just go in a play field pocket, trip a micro switch and collect at the bottom. they come to rest against a clear plastic tab that blocks them from going back to the shooter area. that tab along with a metal "divider" rod that separates the first 4 balls from the rest are controlled by two solenoids. the normal position for both solenoid plungers is hanging down-there's no spring. when a game is started the left solenoid fires, pulling up the plunger and the tab which lets all 16 balls roll to the shooter area. the divider rod hangs up and out of the way.
    under certain conditions the player can press a button on the coin strip when it's indicator light is lit and be given 4 more balls to continue the current game. when the button is pressed the right solenoid pulls the plunger in causing the divider rod to fall between the 4th and 5th balls. the plastic tab simultaneously raises allowing those 4 balls to roll out to the shooter. after that both solenoids reset.

Last edited by emmadog; 08-23-2011 at 09:06 PM.

33. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast