Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Brains Beer! Slot/Fruit Machine

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Brains Beer! (Slot/Fruit Machine)

Did anyone see the Ebay listing for "Antique Brains Beer Bell Fruit token slot machine? I won it and am driving 3 1/2 hours to pick it up Sat morning. I have the option to refuse if I don't like it. I need to know more about Bell Fruit machines. Seem to be a UK product, even my local slot machine repairman don't have any experience with Bell Fruit! So now I come to you, THE EXPERTS! I know it is not a pachislo, but I'm sure you won't hold it against me. Can't test it because the plug is cut off. I suspect it is a 220V machine, and someone, in their infinite wisdom, cut the plug off and tried to run it off of 120V. No keys, locked shut. Not to be deterred by such small matters, I will have to see something VERY BAD to not bring it home. He calls it a token machine. What currency is "6D"? Can I use some sort of token, or do I have to resort to searching for foreign currency on Ebay? I would post a pic if I knew how to get one off of MyEbay! Otherwise you all will have to wait till Sat night after I get off work.

2. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Brains Beer!

Sorry, I know nothing about slots..but here's the auction (I hope ) and some pics..It looks neat to me..

Antique Brains Beer Bell Fruit Token Slot Machine | eBay

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

4. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Brains Beer! (Slot/Fruit Machine)

Bell fruit is a slot machine company in the U.K. Nottingham where i live.
    It will be on U.K. voltage.
    6D is the old currency in the U.K. pre 1970 also known in England as a Tanner.
    If you pm me your postal address i will send you some free of charge. (I only have one or two)
    you can sometimes get them on ebay U.K.
    I have noticed from the pics that it pays out the larger wins in tokens, this was common in the U.K. years ago when
    there was a maximum in cash that a machine could pay out.
    unless it comes with tokens you may have trouble finding these.
    Good Luck, Derek.

6. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to derek1960

Thanks
    Thanks Received

i might have good news for ya

if ya deside to buy it talk to your slot guy about Dimes... or pennys.. I have put dimes in for play but i dont know how they will payout... but Dimes work perfect..

as for the tokens it should pay out

sega president .jpg
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

8. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Brains Beer!

Quote Originally Posted by MrGneiss View Post
    Sorry, I know nothing about slots..but here's the auction (I hope ) and some pics..It looks neat to me..

Antique Brains Beer Bell Fruit Token Slot Machine | eBay
    Yes that is the one! I don't know how you found it. I searched and could find it in the headlines, but being sold; it was never in the current listings. I had to go to his job and pull up MyEbay on his computer to show him. I'll look into the correct currency, but the dime thing gives me confidence to buy!(THANKS MOPAR!)

Thanks
    Thanks Received

[QUOTE=derek1960;411640]Bell fruit is a slot machine company in the U.K. Nottingham where i live.

This is 220volts?
    Have you ever drank Brains beer? If so, is it any good?

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Cool Re: Brains Beer!

Quote Originally Posted by pachiwall View Post
    Yes that is the one! I don't know how you found it. I searched and could find it in the headlines, but being sold; it was never in the current listings. I had to go to his job and pull up MyEbay on his computer to show him.
    Ebay saves listings for 90 days..Here's how to search for closed auctions..Go to ebay then (1) Click 'Advanced' to bring up the advanced search..(2) Type in what you're searching for..(3) Check 'Completed listings'..(4) Hit 'Search'!! Its just that easy!!
    ebay1.jpg

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

12. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Thanks
    Thanks Received

This is 220volts?
    yes it should be and may still be 220 ...

but its my understanding that a good electronics guy and convert it verry easy down to 110 volts... going up to 220 is hard but a simple rewire should make it playable for ya..

slot3.jpg
    When i took this machine to a Slot repair guy he just shook his head about the power and transformers..

when i went to pick it up he said most of the 220 parts were still in there and that someone had utlized only some / half the power parts to make it work... (now he could have been an idiot cause he did say.."it works so i did not mess with it")
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them

14. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

You should be able to use a step up transformer 110 in 220 out to the machine.
    IMAGINATION IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN KNOWLEDGE

16. The following user says "Thanks" to yose

Thanks
    Thanks Received

[QUOTE=pachiwall;411651]
    Quote Originally Posted by derek1960 View Post
    Bell fruit is a slot machine company in the U.K. Nottingham where i live.

This is 220volts?
    Have you ever drank Brains beer? If so, is it any good?
    Brains beer is Welsh the brewery is still up and running in Cardiff i think
    My Nice lives there and says its not a bad pint, although she is a student and will drink anything.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I bought it! I could only talk him down to $140, plus $35 for gas, plus I owe my nephew $20 for a used tire that blew out on the way home (late for work too). So...about $200, not to mention my valuable time( infinite value!!!).
    Not a bad deal if I can get it to work, and acquire tokens. I can't activate the coin mechanism without the proper token. It rejects a dime, but it needed to be helped through the dirty mechanism. It a mechanical machine! I have been wanting a slot machine without a random number generator for a long time now!brains beer 003.jpg brains beer 008.jpg I couldn't pick the lock, so I drilled the lock cylinder out on the back door. Some gentle prying on the inside of front door latch got the front door open with minimal damagebrains beer 002.jpg I found keys inside for the (empty) cash boxbrains beer 011.jpg' no key for front door or top coin mechanism door. Coin door was the only door that was unlocked.brains beer 013.jpg One of the keys may have fit the back,plus extra keys. Gonna oil and try again.
    Nothing looks missing or damaged, but lots of plugs unplugged and a damper not attached to the armbrains beer 004.jpg Needs a good cleaning too. I might have to recruit professional help on this one!
    Might be awhile before much new info is known, because I'm in over my head on this one. I can clean parts of it and tinker with some of it... but I could easily do more harm than good! just wanted to update and post some pics (and brag!).brains beer 010.jpgbrains beer 016.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

19. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

be vewy vewy quiet im hunting pachis... Lt Teddy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Congratulations on your win. When mopar comes to see me I am giving him a transformer that I used in Europe. You plugged it into their electricity and it has a place where you can plug in your 110 to work. Wonder if it would work going the other way?? Nice machine.
    Over the hills and threw the woods, pachi hunting we go.
    Arrangeball Hunter
    ARRANGEBALLS 5, Slots 12

21. The following user says "Thanks" to Lt Teddy

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It should be easy to convert to 110v. Only 2 solenoids on mechanics, with minimal wiring. power seems primarily for florescent lights. I will start by hooking up wiring like original, then using 220v to power and test before converting. Establish that wiring works as should before changing anything and making things worse! I would like to see the inside of Mopar's one that runs on dimes. If it is also mechanical I would like to see a video of the works.( I'll have to get with him on that)

23. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

be vewy vewy quiet im hunting pachis... Lt Teddy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Mopar should be busy working on My machine from BigDog. We hope. I think the last I heard it is up and running and all I have left is for him to clean the cell. Still two weeks away from delivery but anything is better than shipping it.
    Over the hills and threw the woods, pachi hunting we go.
    Arrangeball Hunter
    ARRANGEBALLS 5, Slots 12

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It should be easy to convert to 110v. Only 2 solenoids on mechanics, with minimal wiring. power seems primarily for florescent lights. I will start by hooking up wiring like original, then using 220v to power and test before converting. Establish that wiring works as should before changing anything and making things worse! I would like to see the inside of Mopar's one that runs on dimes. If it is also mechanical I would like to see a video of the works.( I'll have to get with him on that)
    your machine is considered an electro mechanical machine... it need power to accept the coin and to light the lights... (your machines should have a simple micro switch for this) it is a comples mech to make sure the coin is the right size but a simple micro switch to allow the arm pull... Ill make ya a vid or my Electro machine if it helps... my Dime machine is all mechanical so its easy to adjust.. it uses power for lights only...

let me know if a vid would help.. but your not going to be able to do much till ya get it powered correctly...

26. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Got a plug, gonna wire it up soon (soon as I polish off another beer). A dime allows a certain amount of activity, but the reels don't spin. If I hook up power, maybe a solenoid will engage the mechanism that allows the reels to spin. A spinner of some sort needed lubed. It reminded me of the fan like thing in a music box. It barely moved untill I put some synthetic oil on it. Gonna drop lock cylinders off at Gem City lock shop tomorrow. I ordered a couple of BellFruit 6d tokens. They are aparantly different than 6d currency. Can only find single token sales at about $2.50 each or higher (this figure includes shipping). Hopefully dimes will work. MUCH CHEAPER! I need a few genuine tokens, If it don't work on dimes; then it needs to be tested with tokens to prove that it it not just a dime malfunction.

28. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

ill try and shoot ya a video tonight... i can show ya how the solenoid works on my machine.. it should give ya an idea how yous could work...

30. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

well it was a nightmare geting this vid loaded and edited..

hear is a link to the edited vid... no near misses in the edited version..

if ya take a look at the end of the vid you should be able to wire the solonoind back into the closed position.. this will make the game free play but at least you can get the mech working without power...

if theres anything else i can help ya with let me know

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Knv6cIwZKUA

32. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

That video was very cool. It did not help with my machine at all...but I watched it 3 times just to learn how the parts interact. My coin acceptor has no electricity at all. Electric goes to the lights, and to a couple of solenoids and switches on the mechanical unit itself. I think they are failsafes to prevent cheating.
    Today was key day. one lock had to be sacrificed, so that the others may live.keys 011.jpg I found 6 keys inside. Two fit the cash boxbrains beer 011.jpg a third was of the same kind and probably fit the back door. The last 3 keys fit the 2 locks on main door and coin input door, but wouldn't turn. I removed the lock cylinder, inserted a key, and noted that only a few tumblers stayed up. I filed off the high spots and smoothed it up a bit... and now the original keys keys 021.jpgfit the front doors! I chose the back door to drill because it will only be used for maintenance, and since it weighs 150+ pounds, with the back door facing the wall, I didn't mind using a cheesy lock keys 010.jpgto make it function. But then it came to me , but I had my doubts, I took the guts out of the cheezemaster-2000...and put it into the original lock body! keys 017.jpg It almost fits perfect. It has in and out play, I'll shim it with a couple of copper brake hose washers. I had to bend the latch slightly, and I gave it a twist to cam it in so it latches tight. keys 020.jpgYou can tell if you look close... but once again: it is on the back of the machine!
    I still haven't got it to function properly. With a dime (or my finger in the right place), I can make the timer mechanism work but the reels wont spin. Maybe the wrong coin size... maybe power not right. I haven't traced the wires and done a continuity test on any wires yet. Plenty of work left to do.
    Attached Images Attached Images

34. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

try posting a few pics of the solonoids... if ya can post one from a little distance away and then a close up of each one we might be able to help..

my sega that uses power for lights has nothing attched to the mech.. so it works fine with no power at all... our sounds like a generation inbetween my 2..

interesting to say the least..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast