Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Power Flash Super Deluxe

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Power Flash Super Deluxe

Hello to Everyone,

I would like to thank this group for being there, especially Mudfud & Moparformances for their excellent video's on YouTube. They really advanced my learning on this machine.

I am new here and have been bitten by the "Bug". We bought a Nishijin Power Flash Super Deluxe at an Antique Shop in South Beloit yesterday, which seems to be in fairly good shape, other than the missing / substituted 10 and 24 volt power supply. I have been cleaning it up & inspecting it and searching for info on the net. I need to get some balls, as it only came with 3. Kind of hard to play when the upper hopper is empty and stops the balls from loading into the shooter, not to mention, no bonus payout.
    The Nishijin has a Radio Shack 12.6 V 2A transformer mounted in the base, which has another output tap hanging free. There is no plug on the transformer, and I will not wire it up until I get some specs on it.
    Does anybody have any Information, as in ball sizes, power requirements, (volts & amps), wiring diagrams, and manuals on this machine. A 5/8 (.625 inch) diameter black steel ball fell out of the machine when I laid it down in the back of the car. The three balls that came with the machine are about .433 inch diameter or 11 mm. Is this the correct size? I do not believe that the .625 dia ball belongs because that is clearly an American size and the only thing close in metric is 16 mm (.630 inch). There was some talk some where about a Pachinko ball being used in the mechanism for a weight and maybe this was substituted??
    I have not ohmed out the four solenoids inside the machine as of yet, but they do not appear to be fried. I will check circuits today with a VOM. Any help is greatly appreciated. The China Man (It's a Beautiful Day) & I Thank you for your time. I hope to be contributing here as I learn more.
    Keith

2. The following user says "Thanks" to knedvecki

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Power Flash Super Deluxe

Is there a good place to get balls for the Nishijin Sophia and what is the proper size???

Thank you, Keith

I had thought that I had posted an Introduction, But I guess that I lost it. This is a Great Group & I want to thank everyone for all of the information offered here. I hope to be of some help as I become more educated on Pachinko machines. We bought our first one yesterday, but need to get some balls and figure out a power supply. Thanks, Keith
    Last edited by knedvecki; 06-19-2011 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

4. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to knedvecki

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Power Flash Super Deluxe

Welcome to the forum, Keith! Thanks for joining.

Balls are widely available in eBay in various quantities, but i would recommend that you start with 1,000 for your Nishijin Sophia. If you can get them for .04 to .06 cents each after shipping costs are factored in, then you got a fair deal. I buy mine from goldenstatetraders1 who is also a member of this site.

As for your question regarding power, the best place to start is by posting detailed pictures of the front and back of your machine. That will help us determine the power requirements and we can guide you from there. Pictures are also the fee we charge for the "free" support you receive on this site.

Again, welcome to the forum and to the hobby! Visit frequently and post often.

Jeff
    Last edited by JACKSJE4; 06-19-2011 at 10:49 AM.
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

6. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to JACKSJE4

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Please post some pictures. We all just love to look at pachi's

pachinko balls are usually 11mm in diameter and they usually cost 4 to 6 cents each. I know that you can buy them from bill over at vintagepachinko.com, He is very nice to do business with and they will arrive in the course of about 3 or 4 days.

100 machines and counting...

8. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hi, I tried to upload some pictures from photobucket. Let's see if that worked. Keith
    Hello again, Thank you for the replies It looks like the pictures posted okay. The transformer in the lower right corner is a 12.6V 2A from Radio Shack with a third tap hanging loose from the output side and no plug on the 120V input side. I have not hooked the transformer to line voltage yet, and will not until I check it out. It appears to need 10V and 24V (for the solenoids) to make it work properly. Thank you again.

Keith
    Last edited by knedvecki; 06-19-2011 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

10. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to knedvecki

Thanks
    Thanks Received

looks like your geting the right help..

i love Power flash machine...

if your transformer works... this is how to hook it up..

the 2 yellow output wires are for the solonoids... the output for that should be about 24 to 25 volts.. these yellow wires should be hooked to the gray wires entering the back of the fusebox..(it looks like they are wired correct..

for the lights you will take one of the yellow wires and the black output wire.. it is called a center tap.. its output will be near 12 volts when combined with eithe of the yellow wires.. so the one black wire and one of the other yellow wires will provide you power for the lights... (the lights were originaly set up for 10 volts but 12 will work for ya..)

then the other two wires left over are black.. thouse are your 110 volt input... i use any lamp cord or reg ext cord and solder it for a power cord..

Hope this helps ya... so long as no one put 110 volts direct into the machine ya should be good to go.. make sure your contact points are clean and making contact and ya should be good to go..

i cant post pics but if ya search for Power flash transformers that are lots of posts with picstures...

if you have any more questions please feel free to ask... there are no dumb questions in Pachitalk...

and of course

Welcome to Pachitalk

it appers there sending 24 volts to the lights.. be aware if this was done the fuse and or bulbs are probably burt out...

take your time and i know we can get this working for ya
    Last edited by Moparformances; 06-19-2011 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

12. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by knedvecki View Post
    I
    Hello to All,

I had thought that I had posted an Introduction, But I guess that I lost it.

Hello, Welcome to PachiTalk!!

Don't worry, you didn't lose your thread, it was awaiting moderation and as it's fathers day today I wasn't here to spot it earlier, So I've put that right now and you should see your original post now showing at the top of this thread

Congratulations on your first Pachinko and thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself and provide info and pics of your machine,

Welcome to PachiTalk!!

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

14. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to hanabi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Beautiful Machine, and welcome. I would like to reitterate that the ball size for pachinko machines is 11mm. A powerflash (or any S-series) Nishijin needs around 250 balls to get started, but the jackpot hopper can hold around 2500 if you fill it to the rim. 2500 should keep you playing for several hours.

Congrats again on the excellent purchase. Powerflashes are highly collectable since they are the first examples of electo-mechanical design, and all were manufactured in 1974.

16. The following user says "Thanks" to Rival

Thanks
    Thanks Received

see if this helps ya get power hooked up..How to Power a Power Flash / Cricuit Racer Machine
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them

18. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome! It's great to see more people from WI on here!

20. The following user says "Thanks" to millermaster1

be vewy vewy quiet im hunting pachis... Lt Teddy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to pachitalk. The machine you have is called a Chinaman. Named for the little man in the middle. The other kind of powerflash is a Thunderbird. They play alittle different but both are great machines. You should have around 1000 balls to play one.
    Over the hills and threw the woods, pachi hunting we go.
    Arrangeball Hunter
    ARRANGEBALLS 5, Slots 12

22. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Lt Teddy

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Rival View Post
    but the jackpot hopper can hold around 2500 if you fill it to the rim.
    an unmodified hopper can only hold 1000 balls

24. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well, I got the transformer checked out, (27V and 13V due to our line voltage of 122V). Wired it to the machine, checked the fuses (one of 'em at 30A - OUCH!) - both good. According to the labeling on the plastic case they are both supposed to be 2A. Checked the solenoid coils (4 ea.), all at about 34 ohms, which seems about right for the size of these coils. Plugged in the the newly installed cord to house receptacle, and ... nuthin, nada, zip. I pulled the plug at the case that powers the solenoids and checked for voltage there with my little meter. No voltage. I want to pick up some No. 6 X 1/4 inch wood screws to install into the existing, unused screw holes in the fuse block / circuit board case before I pull the staples that are holding it in place, so I don't interfere with the alignment of components. And I will probably do the same with the hopper. And I did get 500 balls ordered for now to get me up & running. I will probably pick up the screws tomorrow so I can get a look at that circuit board to see where it is fried at. The bulbs checked out good and the contacts seemed to be okay, but even they did not work. The machine itself seems to be intact with no signs of anyone letting the smoke out. Thanks again for all of the help. Keith

26. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to knedvecki

Thanks
    Thanks Received

if your light contacs are clean check the contact points of the fuses as well...

I dont know if its the higher volts or what but i have had problems with dirty fuse contacts on Power Flash machines before... way more common problem then reg pachi??

28. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Moparformances, thanks for the tip, and all of the help that you have given. I will check that out. I have to pick up some screws tonight, (No. 4 wood screws as the holes are 5 mm or .120 in), to remount the fuse box / circuit case and I will see what I can find out.

30. The following user says "Thanks" to knedvecki

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I go through a ton of #4 3/8 and 1/2 inch wood screws when I am working on these old beauties (and the ugly ones as well)
    the

LLTR

32. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to owennewton

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Up and running, but still needs some cleaning. I found some round head No. 4 x 1/4 wood screws at Ace hardware for 11 cents each, cleaned up the connections in / on the fuse / diode bridge box, checked the diodes for forward and reverse continuity - checked good. Ran some new wiring as per Moparformances example in his "How to power up a Power Flash" video. Thank you Moparformances!! Cleaned the fuse holder clips, (One of the main problems), loaded the Chinaman up and ran it. The payout backs-up and then unloads like 5x in succession. Need to clean it up some more and make a frame type of stand for it. And ... Buy some more Chrome balls. I will post some more pictures as it comes together. This could get addicting. Thanks to Everyone. Keith

34. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to knedvecki

Thanks
    Thanks Received

congrats

Thanks
    Thanks Received

A good thing to do is to replace all the staples that hold the plastic solenoid mount with screws if you haven't done so already. Now keep your eyes peeled for the "Thunderbird" version. It's a little more fun to play IMO as the yellow tulips are opened and closed by left or right side. It's fun to have the pair.P Flashes are of my two favorite "standard" vintage pachinkos, the other being a Power Roulette.
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

37. The following user says "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I had to go look up the Power Roulette on Youtube, and yes that would be a good one also. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast