Thread: 1937 Daily Races

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default 1937 Daily Races

The box truck driver from the shipping company arrived today to drop off this horse race-themed 1937 Gottlieb Daily Races and to pick up a pinball I sold.
    It's a very interesting pin in that it's one of the very few payout machines made. Gambling machines like this were frowned upon so game makers didn't want ill will to hurt their sales hence the low numbers. It takes nickels and more can be added to increase your winnings. One nickel gives you 5 balls.This pin predates flippers so it's played by shooting the ball up as normal and having it fall into the corresponding holes for the 8 horses.
    There are pins on the on the playfield but they are of a different design than just a nail sticking out. The pins have pieces of spring steel attached to them to guide and deflect balls or they have a spring coiled around them and the permeter of the playfield is lined with springs.
    As far as condition goes the back glass is in excellent shape-no wear or paint flaking at all. The playfield is in good shape but has a couple of small wear spots so I'd rate it at about an 8-8.5. There's a cool tilt gauge on the lower right of the game that is electrically controlled which is interesting. On most games I've seen, the tilt is handled by a small bearing sitting on a post. If the game is nudged too hard the ball falls off, completes a circuit, and the game tilts. It'll be interesting to see how it all works.
    There was even an old, yellowed, taped together schematic so that's a huge bonus.
    The cabinet is in good shape that will clean up nicely and has a great art deco style to it. The inside of the machine is intact and is surprisingly clean for a 75 year old machine. I don't have any instructions and I haven't been able to find much info but it shouldn't be hard to figure out.
    Pics:
    1. Side of cabinet, machine is on floor w/o legs installed. The wooden leg visible is from another pin.
    2. Lower playfield.
    3. Playfield.
    4. Back glass.
    5. Underside of playfield closest to back glass.
    6.Underside of playfield.
    7. Pic of electric motor, coin chute, and coin tube.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

2. The following 15 users say "Thanks" to emmadog