Thread: 1937 Daily Races

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default 1937 Daily Races

The box truck driver from the shipping company arrived today to drop off this horse race-themed 1937 Gottlieb Daily Races and to pick up a pinball I sold.
    It's a very interesting pin in that it's one of the very few payout machines made. Gambling machines like this were frowned upon so game makers didn't want ill will to hurt their sales hence the low numbers. It takes nickels and more can be added to increase your winnings. One nickel gives you 5 balls.This pin predates flippers so it's played by shooting the ball up as normal and having it fall into the corresponding holes for the 8 horses.
    There are pins on the on the playfield but they are of a different design than just a nail sticking out. The pins have pieces of spring steel attached to them to guide and deflect balls or they have a spring coiled around them and the permeter of the playfield is lined with springs.
    As far as condition goes the back glass is in excellent shape-no wear or paint flaking at all. The playfield is in good shape but has a couple of small wear spots so I'd rate it at about an 8-8.5. There's a cool tilt gauge on the lower right of the game that is electrically controlled which is interesting. On most games I've seen, the tilt is handled by a small bearing sitting on a post. If the game is nudged too hard the ball falls off, completes a circuit, and the game tilts. It'll be interesting to see how it all works.
    There was even an old, yellowed, taped together schematic so that's a huge bonus.
    The cabinet is in good shape that will clean up nicely and has a great art deco style to it. The inside of the machine is intact and is surprisingly clean for a 75 year old machine. I don't have any instructions and I haven't been able to find much info but it shouldn't be hard to figure out.
    Pics:
    1. Side of cabinet, machine is on floor w/o legs installed. The wooden leg visible is from another pin.
    2. Lower playfield.
    3. Playfield.
    4. Back glass.
    5. Underside of playfield closest to back glass.
    6.Underside of playfield.
    7. Pic of electric motor, coin chute, and coin tube.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

2. The following 15 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: 1937 Daily Races

Will it be fun to play, is the big question?
    There is always another machine around the corner...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

If it's fun or not is not the big question to me. I don't buy machines of this type based on being fun. There are many more important qualities and aspects of this game, most of them intangible. Plus you have to put in into context of when it was made-it was the latest in both gambling and coin op amusement at that time and can't be compared to newer machines.
    The reason I buy things like this is for the nostalgia, woodwork that is not seen anymore/craftsmanship, rarity- especially considering not many gambling pins were made to begin with ( and I love machines that pay out coins such as arepachis, real slots, etc.) and most were destroyed, and most importantly it's an interesting and unique part of American history. All those things are much more interesting factors than it being fun or not but I know I'll get a kick out of winning and losing nickels on it.

5. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Old and rare machines are what collectors want. You value the craftsmanship and the age of the machine more than playability. A real show piece for you. Very nice.
    IMAGINATION IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN KNOWLEDGE

7. The following user says "Thanks" to yose

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well it looks fun to play to me!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

9. The following user says "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Thanks
    Thanks Received

A few more pics:

1-4 are closeups.
    5. Spring-loaded coin door. Push in on the right side to pivot the left side out to expose the coin bowl to retrieve winnings. When released the door shuts and is flush with the front face of the machine.
    6. Brass tilt indicator. Arrow points from "OK" to "Tilt".

11. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I love the craftmanship of these old games, Simply beautiful

How much was it?
    My favorite color is Ham

13. The following user says "Thanks" to BigBearSteve

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It was 400. I asked the seller to send some hi res pics and based on those I offered his asking price. I could have bargained him down possibly but these payout pins are extremely hard to find, as I'm finding out.
    I found a group that specializes in prewar pins so that'll be a good resource for all my questions, much like this site.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

My original plan was to clean it up and get her working but like so many of my other projects, arrangeballs in particular, just a simple cleaning is not enough. After cleaning a couple of spots on the play field to see how that would look a was surprised at how well the original colors came through. I used 91% alcohol and a magic eraser which really removes the ground it dirt like nothing else I've seen but going slow is essential. So it became obvious that to do it right would require removing all the components on the play field which will lead into removing all the mechanical components for cleaning and polishing since I can't clean one part and not the others. Besides, the attention to detail, materials used, and craftsmanship are evident in these old machines and should be shown off. So anyway, it'll be a longer process than originally planned partly because I will have to do some problem solving and rewiring. Basically making my own schematic but will be well worth it. I'm not however, repainting anything-the original patina will still be there.
    The pics show the two areas that I've cleaned off on the play field with enough of the uncleaned surrounding area visible for contrast.

16. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Very sharp looking machine. I really love old pinball machines. I sadly only have 1 but hope to expand

18. The following user says "Thanks" to Mrtoad

Gibisans - Japan West compirate's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Way way back in the day, I picked up whole tractor trailer load of games like that from an old warehouse down around Hattiesburg, Mississippi. They went to someplace in central Pennsylvania.

人生は恐れなければ、とても素晴らしいものなんだよ。
    人生に必要なもの。それは勇気と想像力、そして少しのお金だ。

20. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to compirate

Thanks
    Thanks Received

any vintage pin is a fascinating thing to me and especially the real old ones that paid out money.