Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hello!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Hello!

Hi everyone, and here's my story.

Before I was born, my mother was stationed on Guam. While there, she picked up a pachinko machine. When she got back to the states, she gave it to her parents as a gift. I remember playing with it as a kid while visiting my grandparents, but it was always in a state of disrepair - broken glass, the balls didn't launch, etc. Even then, it was just too cool to leave alone.

When I was in my 20's, my mother passed away. While visiting my grandmother a few years ago, I asked her what became of the pachinko machine. She said she'd given it to a longtime family friend, a guy who was interested in restoring it. Well, she too passed away about three weeks ago; and I lay awake one night convinced that I just HAD to HAVE the pachinko machine. I couldn't make the funeral, so I mentioned it to my siblings (who we there) and the executor of her estate. If they could find it, I wanted it regardless of what state it was in - but if they couldn't I completely understood. No one had seen it in god knows how many years.

This past weekend, my wife suprised me with a huge box. Inside of it was the pachinko machine! Almost immediately I was scouring the web for any information - which led me here.

The machine is a Nishijin Super DX - Model B, I think (it says Sophia on the back). It came with what looks like a couple hundred balls - some etched with the letter P, others with the picture of a crown.

Other than that, I can't tell anything else. I fiddled with it, opening the glass and the chrome plate beneath the glass. Ha, when I opened that chrome plate, I found about twenty spheres in there!

I *think* it works, after watching a few of the videos on here and playing with it. But there's something that's preventing the balls from falling into place to be launched - instead, they just fall into the bottom tray on the front of the machine. I'll be posting about that - and god knows what else - in the threads around here.

It's sitting on my bedroom floor, and I'm glad it's here; but I can't help but think "WHAT HAVE I DONE?" LOL

Here's some basic photos:
    IMG_2580.jpg IMG_2581.jpg

2. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to momslegacy

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Hello!

WELCOME!!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

4. The following user says "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Thanks
    Thanks Received

hey that's a wonderful story!!

Thank you for sharing and i'm glad you found your way to PachiTalk!!

Do please post if you have any queries or questions or just want to share the pachinko experience, we also have a lot of fun threads too if you wish to join in with anything, our members are friendly and helpful

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

6. The following user says "Thanks" to hanabi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to PachiTalk! I am sorry for your loss, but glad that you decided to find that machine and honor the memory of your mother and grandmother.

The friendly folks here will help you with whatever they can!
    Dawn

8. The following user says "Thanks" to dattia

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to Pachitalk
    Again

first a how to then a possable fix for ya..

if during play a ball fails to reach the top of the play field it will role back down twards the shooter.. behind the shooter tray is a ramp that will direct any ball returning to the shooter tray to the bottome over flow tray... now the fix.

puting your machine in a table or geting it off the ground will make this easier... looking at the backs bottom of the machine there is a spring that is about 8 to 10 inches long.. on the right end of the sprign should be a metal strip withi holes in it.. this spring and strip of metal is the shooter adjustment spring.. by pulling the spring tighter to the right and puting it on another hole will make the shooter harder and push ball futher up to the playfield.. try and adjust that a hole or two and see if that helps ya..

Allot of player like to adjust it to the max but be aware this will put allot of wear on the rubber stopers and wear them out.. i adjust mine so that the ball can hit the stoper and bounce back a little.. but to each there own..
    DSCF3631.jpg
    hear is a picture of a shooter spring

Second option is just plain gunk.. to open the glass there is a lever on the back right side.. its should be a loop you can slid you finger into and lift up.. that will open the glass.. then you can see in the below picture how to open the shooter tray by puching down on a lever then it will swin open in the same direction as the glass door.. you can then inspect the shooter area for ick and clean it up.. in this area spray some windex onto a q-tip and wipe/scrub things down.. NEVER spray Windex on the cell...

DSCF3631.jpg

Great looking machine and im sure we can help ya get it going...
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

10. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Mopar-
    Thanks for the tips, that's how I originally got the balls out from behind the shooter tray. My issue is that when balls are sitting in the tray waiting to be played, they're not falling into position to be launched. There's a tiny door blocking them. I'll take some photos today, and post a thread in the vintage section.

P.S. - Love me some Mopar - if my Jeep counts! 4.0L engine, 2.5"lift, 4.10 gears, locker up front and a selectable locker in the rear - it can go anywhere.

12. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to momslegacy

Thanks
    Thanks Received

the your problem is easy

you need more balls...

there is a default stop mech that will not allow balls to be shot when the top back tray is low on balls...

take all but a hand full of your pachinko balls and put them in the top back tray.. see if that fixes your problem... i can tell you how to cheat the game but in doing so it could and would cause you other problems later on...

try puting all your balls into the top and see if that solves your problem..

Mopar Or No Car
    Last edited by Moparformances; 06-01-2011 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them

14. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Mopar is right if you take some balls and put them in the tray you will make it so the auto stop will go off; that way you can play. One way of fixing it is get more balls about 500 total some recommend 1000 you can buy them on ebay or from bill at vintagepachinko.com. The other way is to put some tape on the rod to hold it in place. But using the second method will make some issues because winning balls might get jammed in the back and that will turn into a hassle to keep fixing.

Also post a picture of behind the upper tray there might be some other issues if what were talking about doesn't solve it.

100 machines and counting...

16. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

welcome to pachitalk .Itis nice to have something to remember a loved one . I am sure you will take great care of this machine.
    IMAGINATION IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN KNOWLEDGE

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome Aboard

Great Story
    Enjoy the addiction...More...More...Must have MORE
    Ian #UKPachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

thank you for sharing your story.
    I have a feeling once you get this one up and running
    there will be more in your future

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by momslegacy View Post
    P.S. - Love me some Mopar - if my Jeep counts! 4.0L engine, 2.5"lift, 4.10 gears, locker up front and a selectable locker in the rear - it can go anywhere.
    Does mine count? I have 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 double cab with a Cummins Diesel. Or does the Cummins ruin it for you guys! Oh and Legacy I used to be a major jeeper myself. My last one was a 79 CJ7 that I maxed out. Also had a 65 CJ5 and a 71 CJ5 (AMC) with a Buick 225 V6. That was the one that got me in the most trouble Oh and a couple Cherokees. Wasnt too pleased with them. Now on my 3rd Dodge pickup since 1996 though. They've been great trucks!!

I know totally off topic

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Microbus99 View Post
    Does mine count? I have 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 double cab with a Cummins Diesel. Or does the Cummins ruin it for you guys! Oh and Legacy I used to be a major jeeper myself. My last one was a 79 CJ7 that I maxed out. Also had a 65 CJ5 and a 71 CJ5 (AMC) with a Buick 225 V6. That was the one that got me in the most trouble Oh and a couple Cherokees. Wasnt too pleased with them. Now on my 3rd Dodge pickup since 1996 though. They've been great trucks!!

I know totally off topic
    of course the Dodge truck counts...

i am actualy a closet AMC guy.. love thouse ugly, strange cars they had in 70'.. I would love to have a Rebel Machine and a true AMX in Red White and Blue

now the AMC with the Buick Motor

Thanks
    Thanks Received

A kid in town has a Javelin, only one I have ever seen in person. Another guy has a restored Gremlin with flames on it (painted, not real) But we also have a guy the turns Pinto hatchbacks into dragsters and a Delorian floating around as well. "Yamhill county, where strange cars are daily drivers"
    the

LLTR

23. The following user says "Thanks" to owennewton

Thanks
    Thanks Received

So I take it the "Matador" isnt on anybody's collectible list Maybe the Pacer?

Mo...You've gotta appreciate this!

Remember the the AMC Matador in James Bonds "Man with a Golden Gun". I'll never forget it because it had wings and flew away from Sheriff JW Pepper and Roger Moore. And of course Tatoo was in that movie as well. I think AMC had exclusive rights to all the vehicles in this movie.

Check this out for a flashback!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDO9z_udQr0

There are alot of AMC collectors out there. My folks had an AMC Spirit GT back in the late 70's I enjoyed the heck out of driving that thing. But alas the bowling ball company also took over Harley Davidson and didnt do them much justice.
    The 225 was a popular conversion for the CJ5 back in those days without major mods. And frankly that motor which was a 67 was rock solid and had decent torque. Better then a Flat Head Four by far.
    Last edited by Microbus99; 06-02-2011 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

25. The following user says "Thanks" to Microbus99

Thanks
    Thanks Received

my ex mother in law has a 1977 gremlin in near mint condition. its parked in her garage here most of the year along with my son's nonrunning 1967 mustang hardtop.

when she comes in the fall the gremlin usually needs a few hundred in repairs just to get it back on the road
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Sounds like the Gremlin has some hope. Not sure about about the Mustang though. Might need some work. But it is a Mustang!!!

Hey LD we've been on these old car discussions before. Start a new thread (although you're last one with your old loves was great). With us all being colllectors of some sort we'd get a few good stories going!!

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

My folks had a 1960 Nash Rambler Forrest green . My Dad painted the roof with Black enamel paint before he sold it when we got it home the 1st time he turned the front wheels to the right and the whole right front end went up into the air . he backed up but I think the control arm or something was messed up .

Buy the way how is the Pachinko coming along ??
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The machine is suprisingly fine. Works like it's almost brand new.

Gonna clean it this weekend (just read the cleaning sticky), then the next step will be getting the electrics sorted.

30. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to momslegacy

Thanks
    Thanks Received

And a SideTross to boot!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast