Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Newbe

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Newbe

i like the "Wanted" theme...

hear is a pic of my "Wanted" machine

plinko002[1].jpgplinko001[1].jpg

your Model "C" is a nice one and kinda sorta rare..
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by mxfaiman View Post
    Changing the cowboy might be a very difficult task because you have to find a center feature that fits in the same hole and finding a new feature that you like might be even harder. I haven’t seen the cowboy before but it is really typical that you see American influenced center features. Also if you are going to make the front hickory why not go and buy veneer and put it on instead of making a whole new face. I did this to my Derby machine and found that it was pretty easy to do and it looks really good and you can’t tell the difference. You can see on my half-finished site. (Post # 7 is where the link is) Thanks for the pictures by the way. The machine looks to be in great condition. (Also it is kinda hard to see the water stains in the pictures) Also with the way this machine looks a restoration might be better than a modification. But its your choice it really depennds on how much work you want to do to it and how much money you are willing to put into it.
    Sorry if this is a repeat post but my first one didn't show up, I may have hit the wrong button. Since there are no moving parts or anything very complicated involved, I figured I would just make a new center piece if I change the theme. I still have not decided if I am going to modify or restore it, but I am leaning towards modifying this one and restoring a couple of others. My son and I restore classic cars and build street rods for a hobby, so I have had to wrestle with this decision before. I plan on using the hickory because I have a bunch of it in my shop that I keep tripping over and having to move around. I just finished building a new house and the floors, crown, base, cabinets, etc. are all hickory. We salvaged some hickory trees that were downed in Katrina and sawed and milled them and moulded what I needed for the house, but I have quite a bit left over. I looked at the veneer job you did on your machine, it came out real nice. You mention waiting for the chrome, are you getting it replated or polished? Did you use regular paint for the plastic or the new formula made for plastic? I haven't tried it yet and I am curious how well it works. It is supposed to bond with the plastic rather than just coating it.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Moparformances View Post
    i like the "Wanted" theme...

hear is a pic of my "Wanted" machine

plinko002[1].jpgplinko001[1].jpg

your Model "C" is a nice one and kinda sorta rare..
    Mopar, that is a wild looking machine. I will keep my eye out for one like it. I think my goal will be to get one machine from each decade they are made. That should keep me busy and out of trouble

4. The following user says "Thanks" to tigertracker

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Smile Re: Newbe

Quote Originally Posted by tigertracker View Post
    I am curious about the "Cowboy" theme of the graphics. It seems like a strange theme to use on one of these machines. I am no expert on these things by any means, but I have been looking at a lot of pictures of them and have not seen this type theme. Have any of you seen this before? I was planning to change it, but if it is rare, I may restore it
    I think the center feature looks pretty cool, never seen that one before!!

As far as Cowboys as a theme, while not being as common as something like samurais it seems to be a not too uncommon theme..Just off the top of my head I can think of at least a dozen pachislos and vintage pachinkos with a cowboy theme..Come to think of it my only pachislo has a cowboy theme and that was part of a series of pachis..

Here is another modern one I just remembered..

Clint Eastwood Pachinko!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

6. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by tigertracker View Post
    Sorry if this is a repeat post but my first one didn't show up, I may have hit the wrong button. Since there are no moving parts or anything very complicated involved, I figured I would just make a new center piece if I change the theme. I still have not decided if I am going to modify or restore it, but I am leaning towards modifying this one and restoring a couple of others. My son and I restore classic cars and build street rods for a hobby, so I have had to wrestle with this decision before. I plan on using the hickory because I have a bunch of it in my shop that I keep tripping over and having to move around. I just finished building a new house and the floors, crown, base, cabinets, etc. are all hickory. We salvaged some hickory trees that were downed in Katrina and sawed and milled them and moulded what I needed for the house, but I have quite a bit left over. I looked at the veneer job you did on your machine, it came out real nice. You mention waiting for the chrome, are you getting it replated or polished? Did you use regular paint for the plastic or the new formula made for plastic? I haven't tried it yet and I am curious how well it works. It is supposed to bond with the plastic rather than just coating it.
    Well if you have hickory that is just laying around like that you should use it. Great source of cheap wood by the way. We had the chrome replated because before it was really pitted and there was no way we could salvage it. For the plastic we use paint that was specially designed for plastic. It worked really good and got the job done (then again I haven't tried using regular paint for the plastic). Also the plastic paint isn't that much more money that regular paint. But we used that only for the white, for the letters and other stuff we used paint designed for metal and plastic signs.

100 machines and counting...

8. The following user says "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I started tearing down my machine today and what I thought was just a bent finger rest is actually a broken one. The decrative ring around the shaft is broken in 2 places. Anyone know of a source for something like that for a model C?

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

I think either see if someone has one from a parts machine, repair or make one yourself.
    Can you post a pic of the offending part?
    Ian #UKPachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

many of the folks here have sources to getting parts just show us a pic of what you need and we can probably find you one.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

All of my clean living must be paying off. I took off the finger rest today and the shaft was bent about 30 deg. which was no problem to straighten, but the pot metal ring was cracked in 3 places and had to come off to straighten the shaft. I would have given about a 2% chance of getting it off without destroying it. Well, it did come off and I was able to straighten out the pot metal and braze it up and reinstall it I immediatly went to the store and bought a lottery ticket

13. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to tigertracker

Thanks
    Thanks Received

congrats didn't sound to be really easy but it must have been your lucky day.

good idea with the lottery ticket.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Damn, there are a lot of parts in this thing, and I just love those spiral carpenter nails they used on the woodwork. Over the years I have learned that companies seldom put things on a machine unless there is a reason, But there are some things on this machine that I cannot figure out what the purpose is. Someone please enlighten me. I still haven't seen what use the foul ball chute is good for except getting exersize shooting the ball twice (Or more) I think I will do away with it by putting a rubber bumper in place of the gate, unless someone can point out a purpose for it.
    100_0114.jpg

Also, there is a clear plastic hinged piece located on the rail where the ball come out on the cell that I don't understand. It has a piece on top that could possibly be to keep the ball from leaving the board and hitting the glass as it is shot, but I see no reason that it should be hinged and spring loaded. Any idea's?
    100_0119.jpg
    100_0112.jpg100_0107.jpg
    The last thing is my center attraction tray. It has a bracket glued on top to hold a light socket and a clear panel to allow the light to enter the tray. There is no socket there and it appears that there never was one. Are these normally lighted and if so, do they power up from a jackpot switch or is it on all the time. Thanks all.
    100_0120.jpg

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I wouldn't place a bumper in front of the foul flap because it kinda takes the purpose out of the game. I mean that foul area is meant to control your shooting or the ball goes out of play. So if you don't want the ball to go out of play then you have to be light on the shooter.

As for the plastic lip I don't really know what it is for or why it is spring loaded but that is a factory install and it looks to be in good shape so I would say just keep it there.

For the center piece there should normally be a light there. The light would be hooked to the jackpot light if you were to install one. It is also pretty common for the whole socket to be ripped out because people always mess with the wiring in both good and bad ways.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have also seen spots for lights that just never got used on some machines, Like my nishigin "b" with the lego like lenses around the cell, one had a light in the red lego but not one in the center feature yet it still had the spot for a light. easier to make all the parts able to take the light than have two versions of the same part
    the

LLTR

18. The following user says "Thanks" to owennewton

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by owennewton View Post
    I have also seen spots for lights that just never got used on some machines, Like my nishigin "b" with the lego like lenses around the cell, one had a light in the red lego but not one in the center feature yet it still had the spot for a light. easier to make all the parts able to take the light than have two versions of the same part

Last edited by Moparformances; 05-05-2011 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Moparformances View Post

21. The following user says "Thanks" to tigertracker

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I made new bumpers (for machines that had them rather than a foul lane) from .25 cent super balls, just cut then to the shape of the old crumbly ones and re nailed it with the original nail. I hate the thought of adding a hole to a vintage cell but you could carefully do it so you had a removable bumper
    the

LLTR

23. The following user says "Thanks" to owennewton

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by owennewton View Post
    I made new bumpers (for machines that had them rather than a foul lane) from .25 cent super balls, just cut then to the shape of the old crumbly ones and re nailed it with the original nail. I hate the thought of adding a hole to a vintage cell but you could carefully do it so you had a removable bumper
    I am replacing the cell with a custom one anyway, but I should be able to make a bumper that clips in place and is easily removed without stabbing the new cell. I am very impressed with the condition of the plastic parts in the machine. I expected that after 40+ years they would be brittle and deteriorating, but they are not.

25. The following user says "Thanks" to tigertracker

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Is there supposed to be a tip of some kind where the shooter contacts the ball, or is it just the spring contacting it?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Just the bare metal spring.
    Pachinko -Nishijin "C" Fishing Game & Hockey, Red Lions, CR Red Lions, Heiwa Double Wing, Takao Bruce Lee, SanseiR&D 777 Sevens Rock, Sankyo Wanted!, lots of other vintages!; Pachislo -SPIN LUCK, Kung Fu Lady, Gamera High Grade, Gundam

28. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to naha13

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I pulled the pins today. I tried several different methods, including making a tool that I saw on another post. I found the easiest way was also the most simple. I cut a block of wood to the thickness of the cell to the bottom on the nail head for a pry point and used a 6" flat pry bar to raise the nail about an 1/8 ", then used another wood block about 3/16" thicker than the first and finished pulling the nail. It didn't bend the nails that way and it even straightened out a couple that were bent. Took me about 15 min. to pull them all. I am thinking of replacing all the nails rather than cleaning them. I found a place that sells solid brass 16 X 1 1/2" pins (No screw point) by the pound. That would put the nail 1/4" deeper than the original. If I do this I will have a lot of original nails that I would give to any of you that need some to restore your machine. Just send me a SASE and the number you need. I only ask that you send for the amount you actually need, so others can get some also. I would also have enough of the new nails to completely redo several machines. I would be glad to send you these also, for what ever they cost me to buy. Let me know if anyone would be interested in this

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast