Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Newbe

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Newbe

Hi All, new to the forum and new to pachinco. I bought a NISHIJIN and I have been getting familiar with how it works (Very ingenious machine) everything seems to work correctly, so I will start to clean and polish it soon. I do have a couple of questions that I hope someone can help me with.
    1- There is a gravity lever gate in the upper right of the shot ball track that will allow a ball hitting it to go into what is called a foul ball chute and return to the ball tray. A lot of balls go into this chute. What is the purpose of this? I am thinking of installing a rubber bumper to block this chute and let the balls remain in play, will this cause a problem?
    2- I will be building a free standing cabinet for the machine. I realize that the machine should be level side to side but should there be a slight lean back at the top of the machine?
    3- I will be making a custom background for the playing surface, so I will be removing the nails. How difficult are they to remove? Should they be twisted as they are pulled and how many can I expect to destroy in the process?
    4- All of the switches and wiring seem to be OK for the lights, But I would like to replace them with LED's, has anyone done this? Can you recommend an LED that is bright enough for this purpose?
    Thanks in advance for your help.

2. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to tigertracker

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Newbe

I can answer one of the questions definitively, and can give one solution (of many) for the other.

You want your cabinet to tip backward right around three degrees for the machine to operate in an optimal manner.

As to removing nails, I can tell you my solution. I took a pair of top cutting wire cutters (similar to a nibbler but much smaller) I bought from Lowes and notched them with a dremel. I then used some dip rubber coating on them so that they would grip the nails just below the head without tearing them up. I put down 4 2x4's on the floor as a frame, and set the playfield on it. Then I kneel on the playfield to steady it, and pull the nails out straight up with a back and forth twisting motion. You can pull them out quickly by pulling upward hard, or slowly by using less force. Neither method appeared to damage the nails or the playfield. If you pull at an angle you can bend the nails, so always be aware that you are exerting pressure perpendicular to the playfield. Keep in mind there are over 200 nails, this process takes me about 2 hours to remove them all.

The nails have smooth shaft until you get to the part in the wood themselves, where they have a corkscrew design. I have found no source that can provide exact replacements with this corkscrew design. However, a suitable replacement are brass escutcheon pins, #14 x 1-1/4. You can purchase these by the pound from several marine hardware providers such as Hamilton Marine. http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/brow...04/4,4241.html

I can attest that these are suitable replacements and indistinguishable from the originals once installed. They are also fully brass and not just plated like the junk you get at Home depot or wherever. 1 pound is right around enough to do two machines, plus or minus.
    Last edited by Rival; 04-24-2011 at 11:39 AM.

4. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to Rival

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to Pachitalk

as for the Foul pocket you might consider adjusting the tention spring on the shooter.. seting it at a softer seting will not alow you to re3ach it so easy...

the foul pocket is good and bad.. my machine's that have it are more dificult for kids to play cause they just shoot as fast as they can.. but i like having it.. makes me concentrate on my shots and control where the ball goes..

please post a few pics of your machine when you have a chanch.. front and back

as for the nails... when you pull them, pull them counter clockwise and they will pull out easier.. twisting back and forth could damage the wood more then nessesary
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

6. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I found a place that sells the correct corkscrew type nails but they are rather pricey. I may or may not replace all of the wood while I am doing this, depends on what I find when I start taking it apart. I tend to go a little bit overboard on projects like this :-) Everything in my gameroom is done in hickory, so that is what the stand will be. I plan to have a large container space on top to hold about 1500 balls and a drawer under the machine to catch the losing balls. I am a big LSU fan so I am thinking about making an LSU theme playing field for the machine.

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome Aboard

We love pictures.
    Take your time to read some of the threads, There are some really good pics and advice for a quick overhaul or a complete strip down and rebuild.
    Ian #UKPachinko

9. The following user says "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks
    Thanks Received

As for your LED’s this is a fairly easy thing to do. Basically you have to watch the way the wires are laid out and with all the switches. We used 8mm LED’s on our machines the come fairly cheap and you can buy them in a 3 pack. We went and put a 220-ohm resistor on the LED’s to power them down to 6v because we use a lantern battery to power our lights. You can still utilize the holders by sticking the LED in a 1/2" (od) grommet. If you want to view more check out my half-finished website: https://sites.google.com/site/pachinkosite/restoration/derby-nisinjin-b

100 machines and counting...

12. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Judging by the pics you have, the lights seem to be plenty bright enough. I was planning to use AC power through a transformer with a toggle swith on the outside of the machine. What is the rated voltage of the LED's you used, are they actually 6 volts? I have never used LED's in a project before, how do they measure the brightness of the bulb, by amps, lumens or other? What are the ones you used rated at? Sorry about having so many questions, but I am finishing building some kitchen cabinets for my daughter this week and hopefully can start on my toy by next weekend. I haven't put up any pics because really there is nothing to look at that you all haven't seen before. I will take some before and after shots and maybe some of my other game room projects and post them soon.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The only thing is by using AC it is making it a little harder to wire everything up, you would also need to buy more parts to go and cange the current from AC to DC. Also it is really easy to find a 6v or similar DC power adapter or using a battery. As for the rated voltage it is 2.5v. As for bulb brightness I have no idea what they measure it in but, our LEDs are just superbright LEDs. In our whole machine we use the same exact type of LED throughout (just different colors). No issue with asking all the questions by the way, thats why we are here, to answer them all. If you want you can go here http://www.nteinc.com/ to find the LEDs the part # is NTE30069 (that is the dark red one).

or you can go right to here for the whole specs on the LEDs in all colors http://www.nteinc.com/specs/30000to3...te30065_71.pdf

Also I forgot we use 10mm not 8mm

Also please, Please, PLEASE, post some pictures we know what the machines look like, but we always like to see what condition they start out in.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

This was another thread with probably the best way to power your machine... "I don't normally buy LED's but when I do, I prefer Radio Shack...", most interesting pachinko player in the world...

http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/vint...r-machine.html
    PACHINKO - Nishijin Model A, 2005 Newgin Cutie Honey, 2015 TAKAO Queen's Blade 2
    BUBBLE HOCKEY - SUPER CHEXX PRO | MAME - 4 Player Entertainment Center
    PINBALL - Williams Grand Lizard

16. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by CarlW View Post
    "I don't normally buy LED's but when I do, I prefer Radio Shack...", most interesting pachinko player in the world...

the

LLTR

18. The following user says "Thanks" to owennewton

Thanks
    Thanks Received

"I don't normally buy LED's but when I do, I prefer Radio Shack...", most interesting pachinko player in the world...
    thats funny
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks
    Thanks Received

That was good.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I am going to try to post some pics of my machine before I start on it. As the pics show, the machine is in pretty good shape. Mostly needs cleaning and polishing, some water marks around the nails but I am going to change all that anyway. I will also change all the wood to hickory and build a stand for it. Everything seems to be OK in the back, but since this is the first one I have seen something could be gone and I wouldn't know the difference :-) If this works I will try to post some pics of a slot and cabinet I restored and a couple of other things I made for the gameroom. The house is about finished so hopefully we will be moving in soon.
    100_0096.jpg100_0098.jpg100_0095.jpg100_0097.jpg

23. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to tigertracker

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Here are a couple of other projects I have been working on. I tried my hand at etching the glass of the entertainment center and slot cabinet and it came out pretty nice. Lot of tedious work though. I used a bead blast cabinet for the etching.
    100_0048.jpg100_0042.jpg100_0046.jpg100_0050.jpg100_0047.jpg100_0041.jpg100_0044.jpg100_0043.jpg100_0055.jpg

25. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to tigertracker

Thanks
    Thanks Received
    Last edited by tigertracker; 04-27-2011 at 01:42 AM.

27. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to tigertracker

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I am curious about the "Cowboy" theme of the graphics. It seems like a strange theme to use on one of these machines. I am no expert on these things by any means, but I have been looking at a lot of pictures of them and have not seen this type theme. Have any of you seen this before? I was planning to change it, but if it is rare, I may restore it

29. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to tigertracker

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Changing the cowboy might be a very difficult task because you have to find a center feature that fits in the same hole and finding a new feature that you like might be even harder. I haven’t seen the cowboy before but it is really typical that you see American influenced center features. Also if you are going to make the front hickory why not go and buy veneer and put it on instead of making a whole new face. I did this to my Derby machine and found that it was pretty easy to do and it looks really good and you can’t tell the difference. You can see on my half-finished site. (Post # 7 is where the link is) Thanks for the pictures by the way. The machine looks to be in great condition. (Also it is kinda hard to see the water stains in the pictures) Also with the way this machine looks a restoration might be better than a modification. But its your choice it really depennds on how much work you want to do to it and how much money you are willing to put into it.
    Last edited by mxfaiman; 04-27-2011 at 05:35 PM.

31. The following user says "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

If I do modify the machine, I figured I would just make a new center piece in the theme I wanted. There are no moving parts so it should be easy enough to do. The camera flash washed out the water marks, but they aren't bad. I am using the solid hickory mainly because I have a shop full of it that I am tripping over. :-) I just built a new house and all of the woodwork is hickory, floors, crown, base, cabinets etc. We went out and got hickory trees that the hurricane knocked down and processed them into boards and moulded them as needed. When I start taking it apart, I will decide on restoration or modification. My son and I restore classic cars and build street rods as a hobby, so I am faced with this decision often. Sometimes it is a tough one. I looked at your site, the laminate job you did turned out real nice. You mentioned you were waiting on the chrome, are you getting it replated or polished? Did you use regular paint on the plastic or did you use the new paint formulated for plastic? I haven't used any of the new stuff yet, curious to see how well it works.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast