Thread: Anyone seen one like this before ? ? ?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Anyone seen one like this before ? ? ?

img_0642 (Medium).jpgimg_0641 (Medium).jpgimg_0640 (Medium).jpgimg_0643 (Medium).jpgimg_0639 (Medium).jpgimg_0638 (Medium).jpg

A Co-Worker found this one. It is in Rough shape and there is damage to the Main PC Board. By the writing on the Reel cage it is at least 1987 or earlier. I did not see any Japanese writing within but it looks like three stop buttons on the front since it has a pull arm.
    72 Pachi's, 36 Pachinko's, 2 Pallots, 3 Pinn's & 2 Pachinko Bar Signs. Links to About Me: pachijunkie's Videos

2. The following user says "Thanks" to new in town

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Anyone seen one like this before ? ? ?

Looks more like a true Vagas slot then any Pachi.. but there is thouse stop buttons..

Ya gona be able to get it working???
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

By looking at the rust and corrosion on the metal it came from a high humidity climate , probably an early okinawa machine.
    IMAGINATION IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN KNOWLEDGE

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

It looks like a slot machine to me, maybe those are hold buttons??

As you can see from this link パチスロ名機種 provided by Phoenixking over in this thread that even the first pachislos looked a lot different than that one..

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

6. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I am almost positive that is a Jennings slot machine from 1979 or so, but the board looks modified to add the buttons. I am actually fixing up three of the non moded slots like that right now!
    Shenslot1.jpg
    You can check out my pics here and see how similar it is.
    Shenandoah slot machine pictures by carwarrpics - Photobucket

Look on the outside of the cabinet-right side (where the pull handle is) and see if there is a label. It might says T.J.M. Corp.

If you decide to clean off that board, use vinegar to neutralize the white "base" gunk that is on there where a nicad battery used to be. Do not use baking soda past as it is a base and not an acid that nicads and alkaline batteries leave when they leak.

Feel free to P.M. me or just continue on this thread, and I will be happy to help with all I can.

The PC boards are a nightmare to work on because there is no CPU, it is all built with discrete components which makes it really fun to try to repair. There is one guy who works on Jennings stuff that I can refer you to.

I am intrigued at what they did to it!

8. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to carwarr

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Wow you know your stuff carwarr it is great to have a member with this kind of repairing experience in electrical gadgetry. I am basically teaching myself, with so much to learn,and learn what not to do again.
    IMAGINATION IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN KNOWLEDGE

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I guess I didn't proof read my post good enough! I meant to say "don't use baking soda paste"!!!

Funny thing is I just recently found out about the battery "acid" thing. I always thought that stuff that came out of batteries was acid and then I found out that it was a base, so using baking soda and water to clean it off like I always did to clean the posts of my car battery is not the correct thing to do with all batteries. So many years of working on pinball boards especially, and I never knew that. Just goes to show I am never too old to learn!

Quote Originally Posted by yose View Post
    Wow you know your stuff carwarr it is great to have a member with this kind of repairing experience in electrical gadgetry. I am basically teaching myself, with so much to learn,and learn what not to do again.
    Last edited by carwarr; 04-08-2011 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

11. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to carwarr

Thanks
    Thanks Received

i agree with carwarr,that does look like a jennings .i'd take pictures of mine,but it's been sitting in a closet for the last few years with a blown power supply.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I hope you removed that darned battery off of it before you "stored" it! I just got to these three that I am working on in time as they were starting to leak pretty bad, but didn't destroy any solder traces or parts yet.

Quote Originally Posted by pinball wizard View Post
    i agree with carwarr,that does look like a jennings .i'd take pictures of mine,but it's been sitting in a closet for the last few years with a blown power supply.

14. The following user says "Thanks" to carwarr

Thanks
    Thanks Received

mine never had a battery installed,for some reason it worked perfectly without it before the power supply puked.if anyone has a spare power supply,let me know.thanks for the advise,carwarr.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by carwarr View Post
    I am almost positive that is a Jennings slot machine from 1979 or so, but the board looks modified to add the buttons. I am actually fixing up three of the non moded slots like that right now!
    Shenslot1.jpg

You can check out my pics here and see how similar it is.
    Shenandoah slot machine pictures by carwarrpics - Photobucket

Look on the outside of the cabinet-right side (where the pull handle is) and see if there is a label. It might says T.J.M. Corp.

If you decide to clean off that board, use vinegar to neutralize the white "base" gunk that is on there where a nicad battery used to be. Do not use baking soda past as it is a base and not an acid that nicads and alkaline batteries leave when they leak.

Feel free to P.M. me or just continue on this thread, and I will be happy to help with all I can.

The PC boards are a nightmare to work on because there is no CPU, it is all built with discrete components which makes it really fun to try to repair. There is one guy who works on Jennings stuff that I can refer you to.

I am intrigued at what they did to it!
    Thank You for the Help Sir.

I'll pass the info on to my friend and see what he wants to do about it. I take it that the (new looking) white 8 pin rectangular plug is the "Mod" that probably connects to the three buttons on the door?

I have not seen the Machine in person yet.
    72 Pachi's, 36 Pachinko's, 2 Pallots, 3 Pinn's & 2 Pachinko Bar Signs. Links to About Me: pachijunkie's Videos

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Here is the guy who repairs the Jennings slot parts.
    Jenningsslots.com for electronic Jennings slot machine parts and service

I am sure he can repair your PS if you want to go that way.

Quote Originally Posted by pinball wizard View Post
    mine never had a battery installed,for some reason it worked perfectly without it before the power supply puked.if anyone has a spare power supply,let me know.thanks for the advise,carwarr.

18. The following user says "Thanks" to carwarr

Thanks
    Thanks Received

That would be my guess. That whole board added to the top of the main board is an add on. Also the pic of the inside of the game at the back of the cabinet has an add on board, which is replacing just two "solid state relays" in the regular machine.

I assume they just cut the traces on the board going to the 3 reel stop solenoids and connected them to the front stop buttons. This slot is not smart enough to know that it tried to stop the reels and they did not stop, so no error appears like on most modern slot machines.

Keep us updated!

Quote Originally Posted by new in town View Post
    I take it that the (new looking) white 8 pin rectangular plug is the "Mod" that probably connects to the three buttons on the door?

I have not seen the Machine in person yet.