Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for Basic Wire or Metal Stands for a Vintage Pachinko Machine?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Suggestions for Basic Wire or Metal Stands for a Vintage Pachinko Machine?

Hello all, this is my first post here. I'm looking to buy my first pachinko machine. My uncle had one when I was a kid and I have great memories of sitting in his game room and playing for hours. Has been a lot of fun reading the forums here and learning as much as I can about them, and I'm getting close to picking one out.

As I'd like to be able to use the pachinko on a table top, as opposed to mounting it on a wall, one question I have is in regards to finding a basic tabletop stand for it. In both pictures and auctions I've seen a basic adjustable wire stand such as in the attached photo. While perhaps not as heavy duty as others, I believe something like this will serve its purpose for me. Are these still available for purchase, or can something like them still typically be found in a hardware store (intended for a different purpose) that will do the job?

I've also seen L-brackets used, where the vertical part of the L is at a 45 degree angle and screwed into the back of the machine, such as in the second photo (both photos taken from VintagePachinko.com). I assume something like this could be easily found in the cabinet hardware section of Home Depot?

In addition to these, does anyone have any other recommendations for something simple and lightweight that is sturdy enough to hold the machine for occasional use, but does not require carpentry skills to build?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to KizzyMan

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Suggestions for Basic Wire or Metal Stands for a Vintage Pachinko Machine?

The best and most stable are feet made out of 12 inch pieces of 1 X 4 pine with beveled edges glued and screwed to the bottom of the wood frame. 2 pine feet per frame. Simple and neat. I have one machine in a custom frame/box and it is very high, heavy and awkward to move. Keep it simple sir.
    Frank
    Frank A
    Lower Delaware

4. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Frank A

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Suggestions for Basic Wire or Metal Stands for a Vintage Pachinko Machine?

Welcome to Pachitalk
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to PachiTalk!!

I agree with Frank. I use 1x4 pine boards (available at Home Depot, Lowes, True Value, Ace Hardware, etc) that are cut to 12" in length. I pre-drill screw holes and use two 1 1/2" drywall screws to attach them to the bottom of the frame, then I put felt pads on the bottom so that they will not scratch furniture. You can also paint them any color to match your decor.

Cheap, easy and sturdy!

Jeff
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

7. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to JACKSJE4

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I tend to cut mine at 16 inches just for that extra tip protection (never had one go over anyway but I am paranoid ) , I don't glue and I use three 1 1/2 inch drywall screws. We all have our own way of doing it but they are all about the same
    the

LLTR

9. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to owennewton

Thanks
    Thanks Received

1X4 boards are your best bet, because i have some of those blue wire stands and the welds on the broke. As for the boards the material you use doesn't matter. I use maple for mine because it is a harder wood and I have some of it just laying around. Or if your not to good with tools you can buy the bases from vintage pachinko or get inspired by them.

11. The following user says "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for the input. Sounds easy enough. I'd probably opt to just use the drywall screws without the addition of wood glue, because I'd prefer the ability to remove the boards easily if at some future point I decided to switch to wall mount.

13. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to KizzyMan

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Unfortunately without the glue they may wobble. The glue joint can be broken easily with a sharp hammer blow. I did 2 machines last night. The glue also helps keep the frame tight if there are any splits in the bottom of the frame.
    Frank A
    Lower Delaware

15. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Frank A

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I agree that glue would make the stands more sturdy, however I have never used glue on mine and have never had a problem with the machines getting wobbly or the stands loosening up.

I guess is just depends on how much you plan to shake the machine when you play it.
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

17. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to JACKSJE4

Thanks
    Thanks Received

the only issues I have ever had with movement or wobble is due to slop in the frame itself and never from the feet. Also why I use 3 screws to keep the feet firm without glue
    the

LLTR

19. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to owennewton

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The 1 1/2 grabber screws don't get loose. i sometimes add glue and grabber screw the bottom wood frame to keep it from wobbleing.
    IMAGINATION IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN KNOWLEDGE

21. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to yose

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I replace all the nails in the frames with 3 inch drywall screws now and I don't have issues with sloppy frames at all anymore.

I guess I should finish my thoughts sometimes..
    the

LLTR

23. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to owennewton

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks again to everyone who chimed in. I'm finally going to get around to adding the feet this weekend. I'll be going with two 12" x 3.5" x .75" boards, fastened with two 1.25" wood screws on each side.

Question: When working on the underside of the pachinko (i.e. marking and drilling the pilot holes, and screwing in the feet) is it OK to lay the machine down on its back or is it preferable to turn it upside down? (Obviously, in either case, I would be sure to dump the balls out of the machine first).

How do you guys normally approach this?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Best way to do it is to rest the machine on it's side. That way you don't have to worry about cracking a ball tray and you get full access to the base. Make sure you countersink the screws so the heads won't scratch up the surface you set the machine on. Have fun!

26. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to ShopratFab

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yes, I've got my countersink bit ready at the go.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

make sure you get all the balls out of the machine befor you lay it one its side..

if a ball move up insted of down they can get into places there not suposed to..

empty all then balls.. attach your feet and then your good to load it back up..

Pics please
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them

29. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

When I push on the dump lever, MOST of the balls come out, however there are still a few balls remaining in the jackpot mechanism. Will I need to remove these as well? If so, what is the method for getting them out?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

once the balls are dumped your should be able to trip the jackpot arm by hand and release them one jackpot at a time..

as the ball falls off the jackpot seesaw it falls on to the long swing arm that lowers the ball to the bottom of the machine.. that arme pivots and runs up the right side (back) of the machine.. then pivots again to the left to the jackpot itself.. you should be able to reach in near the jackpot and move that left hand arm up and down, to manualy drop the jackpot.. the machine will know your cheating and should drop these jackpot balls out the back.. so have a catch box handy..

Hope that makes sense??

once your done dont forget to reset the ball dump... if ya forget you will only forget one time..

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by KizzyMan View Post
    Thanks again to everyone who chimed in. I'm finally going to get around to adding the feet this weekend. I'll be going with two 12" x 3.5" x .75" boards, fastened with two 1.25" wood screws on each side.

Question: When working on the underside of the pachinko (i.e. marking and drilling the pilot holes, and screwing in the feet) is it OK to lay the machine down on its back or is it preferable to turn it upside down? (Obviously, in either case, I would be sure to dump the balls out of the machine first).

How do you guys normally approach this?
    You don't need to worry about turning the machine on it's side or upside down for that matter if you are simply working on the frame. Just open the CELL door from the back, open it wide, and pull the entire cell off of the pins. This just leaves you with the wooden frame, and at that point you can do anything you need to without worrying about balls going anywhere, damage, etc.
    I'm not addicted to Pachinkos. I can quit at any time. Did I tell you about the three machines that I have on the way?

33. The following user says "Thanks" to Bigdog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I know I'm late to the party, but why is everyone using drywall screws and not wood screws? drywall screws have wider threads, and will become looser faster. Also, if you have an electric drill, use a bit the width of the screw minus the thread to drill out the hole; this will make the screw go in straight, and keep the wood from splitting.

Loctite makes a product that is not wood glue, but is specifically for keeping screws, bolts, and such secure. There are different kinds: products for metal screws, wood screws, etc., products meant to be removed with hand tools eventually, and products that require impact (pneumatic) tools, or solvents. Wood glue does not dry well inside a screw hole. A product specifically for securing a screw is a better idea. Loctite, IIRC, calls the product "threadlocker."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast