Thread: Sankyo 1974 Door Release Lever

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Sankyo 1974 Door Release Lever

Hi, I'm new to Pachitalk. I recently inherited what I believe to be as a Sankyo 1974 (50-6) machine, but I'm not sure what it's called. I have been in the process of cleaning it, piece by piece, pulling the staples out, cleaning the brass pins, etc. I noticed that the Playfield Door Release Lever was pretty grimy, so I took it off the machine and cleaned it up with some WD-40. I pushed the two prongs towards me so that the mechanism popped outward. As I was cleaning it, the washers on the inside of the mechanisms on both sides of the door release lever mechanism started to crumble, and they are made of metal! The perimeter of the washers all broke off, but the centers are still attached. Is there anyway to replace these washers in the Playfield Door Release Lever mechanism? There are springs there, which I don't want to remove in fear of not being able to get them back on.

Also, when the door is in place, is the long lever with a loop supposed to be in the upward position or downward position? I cannot move it downward without popping it out as I did to clean it but it goes upward very easily.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Sankyo 1974 Door Release Lever

WELCOME! We need some pics to really see what is going on. Second wd40 is not a great idea to use, cause it attracts dust and dirt. There are many smart people here to help you. Good luck.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to Pachitalk

please post a few pic
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

If you can get us some pics, it'll be easier. The two most predominate sankyo styles are below, and if you let me know what you need to see closer pics of, I can help you out. That being said, most of the front mechanisms are fairly similar. Also, when you send the pics, make sure you send a pic of the front... We're all fans of the different kinds out there
    Butterfly Pachi Back.jpgClown Pachi Backp.jpg

5. The following user says "Thanks" to ACMech

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Smile Re: Sankyo 1974 Door Release Lever

Thanks, guys. I really appreciate your help.

Here are the pictures of the door lever locking mechanism and the broken washer inside. I included the before and after shots to show you the washer that broke.

I'm also wondering if anybody knows what the name of my machine is. I think it's a 1974 "flowers" but I've yet to find it in the pachinko museum or any other source for that matter. It does look similar to "flowers" model.

I've been using sewing machine oil for all the joints/levers, but used WD-40 only on this particular mechanism. And, of course, I'm not putting any lubrication in areas where the balls will flow/touch.

machine.jpgbefore.jpgAfter.jpgmechanism.jpg

7. The following user says "Thanks" to Sankyo

Thanks
    Thanks Received

welcome to pachitalk. so many pachi's so little time. we like pics
    IMAGINATION IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN KNOWLEDGE

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Nice machine. I could be wrong, but I think that your machine is older than 74. More like late 60s.
    Last edited by Bouye; 03-01-2011 at 06:24 AM.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

ill have to take a look once home about your door latch... at first look i would not be worried about it... but if its giveing you fits then something could be wrong...

as for your machines age pleasae post a close up pic of the Expiration sticker in the lower right corner of the cell.. (the Red Yellow and blue one) that will give ya the best idea what age your machine is..
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Wow, late 60's? Attached is the picture of the sticker you were talking about. I had read somewhere that if it says "50-6" it means a 1973-1974 model, but they could have been wrong. I'm still curious about the name of the machine.

The mechanism still works, but before the washer broke I was able to both open and close it by pulling up and down without having to "pop" it outward. Now, I have to pop it outward to release and pull up on the lever to lock it in place. The motion seems very fluid, except for the release. Does this sound about right to you?

Another question I had was in regards to the wiring. I've wired/soldered circuits before but I have never seen a metal clip that joins two wires together. I see it on almost every machine. Is there a specific reason for this or can I just replace the two joined wires at that metal clip with one long wire? I attached a picture of the metal clip as well as a front view of the machine's center piece for better identification.

Again, thanks for your help. It is much appreciated!
    Wiring.jpgSticker.jpgFront-Close.jpg

12. The following user says "Thanks" to Sankyo

Thanks
    Thanks Received

the year of 50 looks about right to me...

the metal clips are new to me.. never seen one as a factory setup?? easy enought to cut it out and solder it together..

as for the latch so are just plain stiff that is one place i think a bit of grease might be the best thing.. but dont get carried away with it...

14. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

So does that mean it is a 1974?

I've been trying to clean up the front panels also, but there is rust that is very stubborn to remove. I've used steel wool, Gel Gloss, Barkeeper's friend, and Brasso, but the darn rust just won't come off. It's the panel that the ball release lever comes out of in front of the machine. Any suggestions as to what to do or what products to use? I feel like I've tried everything. Someone mentioned Blue Magic cleaner.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

i have always goten my best results from steel wool... then i sometimes finish with a metal polish...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I agree with mopar. #000 and #0000 steel wool always work for me. Then I finish with Blue Magic mag wheel polish.

Can you post a close-up pic of the area in question?
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

18. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to JACKSJE4

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Sorry it took me a few days to get back to you all. I will definitely get some of the #000 and #0000 grade steel wool. The front has been very difficult to clean using rags and other cleaning products. You can see from the three pictures that the front panel and plastic panel, where the ashtray goes, are quite dirty. If anybody has more suggestions, I'd be open to it. I went out last week and purchased new screws and compression springs with the exception for the ball spring loader, which would be hard to purchase considering I don't know what the spring constant is, not to mention the tension on a new one would not be true to the original.

Capture1.jpgCapture3.jpgCapture2.jpg

20. The following user says "Thanks" to Sankyo