Thread: Shipping information and eBay advice needed

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Shipping information and eBay advice needed

I am preparing my Sankyo Vintage for an eBay sale. On eBay I see both current and closed listings with shipping costs from Free (which is crazy!) up to $75.00.
    What is a reasonable rate and is it better to use the Post Office or UPS? With 320 balls the thing weighs right at 37.5 pounds. I'm leaning toward the UPS store so they can package it properly but don't know how much packing and shipping might cost.

I don't suppose it will fit in a Post Office "flat rate" box.

Should I go with a certain starting price on eBay? A reserve price?

Any guidance and advice in the fine art of shipping a Pachinko machine is appreciated as is a quick reply because I want to get this listed ASAP.

thanks!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Shipping information and eBay advice needed

i have shiped several Vintage Pachi.. always threw fed-ex.. shipping usualy runs between 65 and 80 bucks (depending on location).. with my own packing materials... if your going to have them pack it, bank on it costing double if not more...

keep in mind you can ship balls in a flat rate box with the post office.. might be better to ship them seperate from the Pachi???
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I use FedEx exclusively now as well (UPS has damaged nearly every machine I shipped with them in the past). I use just enough padding to protect the machine while keeping the box small. If do it right, I can ship a vintage machine from Denver to the east coast using FedEx ground for around $30.

Make sure the machine is shipped in the upright position from pick-up to delivery!! Mark the box accordingly with bold arrows pointing up and stick the shipping lable on the top of the box. I use flourescent red spray paint to draw the arrows.

Shipping the machine in the upright position will help prevent the box from getting tossed around or having other boxes stacked on top of it. Also, old bicycle boxes work well for vintage Pachinkos and they are nearly always free from your local bike shop. You just might need to cut them down a bit to both fit the pachi and stay under the pricing tiers with the shipper you choose.

Good luck!

Jeff
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

4. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to JACKSJE4

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by kensterfly View Post
    I am preparing my Sankyo Vintage for an eBay sale. On eBay I see both current and closed listings with shipping costs from Free (which is crazy!) up to $75.00.
    What is a reasonable rate and is it better to use the Post Office or UPS? With 320 balls the thing weighs right at 37.5 pounds. I'm leaning toward the UPS store so they can package it properly but don't know how much packing and shipping might cost.

I don't suppose it will fit in a Post Office "flat rate" box.

Should I go with a certain starting price on eBay? A reserve price?

Any guidance and advice in the fine art of shipping a Pachinko machine is appreciated as is a quick reply because I want to get this listed ASAP.

thanks!
    Like what Mopar mentioned if you have UPS or FedEx pack your machine you'll probably overprice the total cost of the machine so much on Ebay that you will never sell it. Who knows though you might get lucky.

You might also notice on Ebay that some of the overpriced machines have been on there for months and months. I think some have been on there for over a year.

Have you thought of Craigslist yet?

6. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Microbus99

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Fedex
    My favorite color is Ham

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by BigBearSteve View Post
    Fedex
    Problem is... there is no FedEx office within an hour or more drive from here. They just have a pickup kiosk down at our little courthouse square for small packs and envelopes. There is a UPS Box Store about 15 miles from here, and of course, the Post office.
    I posted $65 shipping on my eBay listing and already have two bidders with nine days to go. I should be able to get it packed and shipped for that.

9. The following user says "Thanks" to kensterfly

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by kensterfly View Post
    Problem is... there is no FedEx office within an hour or more drive from here. They just have a pickup kiosk down at our little courthouse square for small packs and envelopes. There is a UPS Box Store about 15 miles from here, and of course, the Post office.
    I posted $65 shipping on my eBay listing and already have two bidders with nine days to go. I should be able to get it packed and shipped for that.
    If you pack it so it will ship in the upright postion, it should arrive in good condition. Mark the box very well.

Good luck with your auction!!
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Actually, I just located a FedEx shipping store (Parcel Plus) about 16 miles from here. I had to go into that town today anyway. Their Website shows $38 to ship 40 pounds of a Pachinko size box. I'll stop buy and get a feel for packaging costs. Maybe I should buy a good box from them and pack it myself? I have a ton of styro peanuts and some thick styro pieces that I want to put under the plastic top tray in the back to keep it from getting crushed. Any other packing suggestings.

Roger the suggestion on marking it upright position.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The packing peanuts dont do much for preventing the machine from moving around in the box. Definitely concentrate on using the heavy styro for securing it in the box. Protecting the front and rear ball trays is the most important parts to focus on.

Saw your Ebay post. Good luck!!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

peanuts are worthless other than filling voids between firm packing material. The damaged machines I have received were ones packed with just peanuts (by one of the shipping stores) so just make sure to keep it firmly in place in the box and protect those trays
    the

LLTR

14. The following user says "Thanks" to owennewton

Thanks
    Thanks Received

if you do use the peanuts please put your pachine in a good quality trash bag first... i got a pachinko one time filled with packing peanuts...

peanuts everywere
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

16. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I agree, bag it or wrap completely with saran wrap, most machines i have got had cardboard taped over the glass too.
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese