Thread: Some disassembly help please

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Some disassembly help please

I'm working through the breakdown of the hokoku that I picked up recently and am running into a few questions. It seems as though i get my hand on more machines, I break them down further and further each time. I think a cell replacement might be on either the next one or the one after.

I have the back of the machine under control for now, but my questions are on the front of the machine. I have tried to circle on the picture what I am referring to. First, the white Oval: At some point, an owner of the machine spray painted the metal pieces silver. It got on the play tray, the lower play tray and on the formica front of the machine. I was wondering what advise there is in either removing or fixing the paint overspray.

Secondly, the blue ovals are referencing the center feature and the piece above it. Is the only way to remove them to remove the nails that are circled? The heads of the nails are inset in the plastic making them quite difficult to access.

Thirdly? the red circles. They are the holes from the "long staples" that hold the flat metal ball track against the playfield. My idea after cleaning was to replace them with cotter pins. I found that not only were my cotter pins too short, but not flexible enough to secure the track.

So I am looking for some guidance before I go much further. I will begin to clean the cell today, and while I have it on the table will start on the nail polishing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The following user says "Thanks" to OneBigTuna

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Some disassembly help please

use fine sand paper to remove the paint and then finer sand paper to polish the sanding marks. finish with Novus 2, it'll be shinier than new. 0000 steel wool may also work as well.
    for the nails you may be able to slip a thin knife blade or similar b/t the plastic and the cel and pry it forward. if it works, then push the plastic back and the nail head will be exposed enough to grab. OR what I did on a Taiyo I just refurbished was to use a grinding wheel/bit on a dremel flex shaft to grind down the heads. Go SLOWLY to keep the nails from overheating and to prevent a slip. it worked fine for me and I then just pulled the parts right off.
    I use stainless steel lock wire to reattach the tracks. cut the ends just beyond the existing holes, take some needle nose pliers and bend the ends into a right angle and then tap the ends down into the old holes. works great and is very secure.

4. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I would try alchohol first to remove the paint.Get a cloth rag wet with the alchohol and let it set on the paint a few minutes and see if it breaks it down.Finger nial polish remover works well too.
    IMAGINATION IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN KNOWLEDGE

6. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to yose

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by emmadog View Post
    I use stainless steel lock wire to reattach the tracks.

I'm not familiar with this kind of wire. Could you tell me where I might find it/what it looks like?
    Thanks

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks all,

I have aquired some novus 2 a few weeks back at $4 for an 8oz. bottle and it is awesome. As for the stainless lock wire, I know you can get it from McMaster Carr, at least thats where I got it from last year, of course I'm out now

I might try the dremel trick, but will do the knife blade thing first, I was just weary of taking the blade to the cell. I have plenty of quad 0 steel wool and varios grades of sand paper too. Looks like I just need get to work

I was very impressed with the tayio you just finished, and was going to ask some more questions about restoring plastic once I got to that point. I will post pictures when I get to that point, my white plastic is yellow, and my pink plastic is a solid orange.

Thanks again

Thanks
    Thanks Received

No prob ask all the questions you want. Not trying to blow my own horn but I am very impressed with how it came out as well. Especially since I am not particularly talented. It just takes some patience and problem solving and knowing the techniques. If you damage the cell behind the part then that's ok since it will be covered. It's not ideal but in the end it won't be seen.
    The plastic refinishing took some trial and error on my part but now I've got it pretty well figured out for ABS plastic so when you get to that point, lemme know.

10. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Here are some pictures and links for the lock wire AC.

McMaster-Carr
    Malin | Aerospace Wire/ Safety Wire / Safety Lockwire
    Attached Images Attached Images

12. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to OneBigTuna

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I agree with Emmadog except for the sandpaper. That over spray will probably come off the front quite easy with some rubbing,polishing or nail polish remover. If your gentle you can re use the staples on the ball track. An idea I had was to use those copper staples you find on big shipping boxes. I thought it maybe a cool color contrast using copper. Just a thought. And if your gonna replace the cell do it now while your at this point so you don't have to go back a second time. I think you will find that the nails on center attraction will come out pretty easy just be patient and gentle. Emmas idea to remove the nails is spot on. Good luck

14. The following user says "Thanks" to Bouye

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I always use #000 steel wool to remove paint and other gook from the formica on the front. It does a quick and easy job and never scratches.
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

16. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to JACKSJE4

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks on the wire question... We use that stuff all of the time in my job, we just call it something else...
    What's worse, it never even occured to me to use it that way, . We only ever used to use it to keep bolts from backing off.
    Once I saw the picture ... Isn't there a post around here somewhere about losing your mind...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by ACMech View Post
    Isn't there a post around here somewhere about losing your mind...
    I think so but am having trouble remembering where
    the

LLTR

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well before I turned in for the night, I took care of the paint overspray and the rest of the frame. The #0000 steel wool took a little more pressure on the paint, but everywhere else on the frame it just knocked off the gunk and gook. I didn't notice any clear scratches from it, but it was slightly hazy when I looked at it in just the right light. I took the novus 2 to it and BAM, looks like a brand new cabinet the way that formica shines.

I successfully removed all of the staples from the ball track and got it off the cell. My main reason for wanting to remove it was because the rust on the staples really showed once I was staring right at it. I also removed it because everything is easier to clean when it's apart and there is some heavy black gunk built up on it too. I like the idea of replacing the nails with those copper shipping nails as they would be a sweet contrast to the machine. I could find some if I looked hard enough. I will have to check the hardware store and see if they carry lock wire as I don't have any hear and don't want to buy 500'+.

As for when I began to clean the cell and polish the nails I have been tossing the idea around for a cell replacement. I planned to do it on my next machine, because that one is less complete and has some major water damage which would warrant a cell replacement. I am not particularly fond of this part of the game (cleaning the cell and polish the nails), but I know it is a crucial step in making the overall appearance look good. At this point, my plan is to clean the cell as good as possible and polish the nails as best as I can get. I will save the cell swap till the next one. I know I'm super close to that point, but the time involved in pulling and replacing every nail is going to have to wait.

20. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to OneBigTuna

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quick one on the paint removal, De-Solv-It Contactr's Grade Solvent- which is an orange juice based solvent really works great & usually will reliquidify the paint, especally if it's latex. Noramally it & a toothbrush will knock the paint off. (I seem to find housepaint covered machines) It's actually pretty gentle so for the back plastics & formica it's fine, I'd keep it off the playfield & the playfield items. You can find it at Ace Stores or they sell it direct.

Good tip on the safety wire, didn't think of it for that use. You can find it at a number of auto racing supply places like Summit or Pegasus as well.

22. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to ShopratFab