Thread: Question about lighting

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Question about lighting

I'm going to be repairing the wiring/lighting on my machine once I finish getting it cleaned up (and make sure it's working right). If you look at the pic below you see that I have the red and green light on the left hand side, and two dummy fixtures on the right. How difficult would it be, electronically speaking, to wire up the two dummy lights? Would they all be able to work off the same 9v battery? I was thinking of buying a lighting kit from Vintage Pachinko, would it be as simple as just adding two more lights to the system? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but other than soldering some battery packs on old RC cars when I was a kid, my electronics know how is somewhat limited.

IMG_0865.jpg
    Last edited by grocco; 02-06-2011 at 03:28 PM.

2. The following user says "Thanks" to grocco

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Question about lighting

Not too hard to do, I'd be the most worried about drilling the hole in the playing field. Electronically, shouldn't be hard to wire up. You'll wear out your battery quicker, but that's nothing. Radioshack sells minibulb sockets with mounting tabs that would make for a pretty easy mod. You should be able to find the bulbs online somewhere if your local electronics shop doesn't have them.

4. The following user says "Thanks" to ACMech

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Nevermind, did some more rooting around and realized where I'd have to drill through is right where the hopper and ball track are, which means there would be no room for a light fixture. Oh well, lol...

6. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to grocco

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Actually if it was a Nishijin model B it's pretty easy to do. I found a 3/8" Forstner drill bit (They look like flat wheels & cut through flush- you can find them at most hardware stores) cuts the right size holes where the 2 hooks are on the side for lights. The key was to use light pressure & keep checking as you go. When it gets to the playfield backing, just go very lightly so you don't punch into the lens. I used a hook pick to pull out the playfield scrap. A 8mm LED fits perfectly in there with a touch of glue or you can mount it in the hook with a grommet. If you use a super bright LED the color of the lens it's plenty bright. Current draw is low, so it doesn't add too much to the wiring.

Now that unused lens set gives a bit more flash to the jackpot. Also mounted one down in the shooting area to use as a ball out light, but ended up hooking it up to the payout circuit, it really lights up the area.

8. The following user says "Thanks" to ShopratFab