Thread: Scratch-Built slot machine using MAME. Thought you all should see!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Scratch-Built slot machine using MAME. Thought you all should see!

I'm taking some time on my Sunday morning to give something back to the nerdy tech community for a change! I'm very bad at giving back to the general public. I'm an electronics technician turned software technician and I LOVE building crazy projects in my free time. I play with electronics and computers like they're space Lego and I'm pretty unstoppable when I get something into my head.

I have enjoyed MUCH fun through the goodness of MAME over the years. I've made a couple of MAME arcade cabinets, including a custom coin box with LCD screen for MAME running on XBOX1, but I won't go further into that now. MAME arcade machines are wonderful but they aren't why I'm here today.

A few months ago I discovered an awesome and nifty little program called MAME Hooker. It listens for outputs coming from ROMs that have outputs.
    I was playing trackball bowling with a trackball I'd just hacked and accidentally noticed the 'ticket dispenser settings' in the rom settings and BOOM. Off I went into redemption game tinker nirvana.
    It was then that I decided to embark on the quest to build my own completely emulated slot machine.

Now RELAX, before I say any more, this machine has NO coin output, therefore you cannot actually gamble with it. AMUSEMENT ONLY. Duh
    (It IS possible. I could have totally made it work, period. I didn't have a coin hopper to install and it wasn't important to me to make that feature happen. Again, this is for purely emulated fun!)

So, now, some details:
    Hardware:
    -Single-threaded P4 2.66Ghz CPU on a decent P4 socket 478 board, using on-board video, 512 RAM I think.
    -One hacked $5 USB game pad for MAME inputs. (this is the only input device under normal circumstances. Sure, you can attach a keyboard, mouse and network cable to it and surf the net, but it isn't for that. One USB game pad is the peripheral.)
    -PC power supply, IDE hard disk, speakers etc.
    -Home-made optical coin mechanism using a led, photo-diode, LM339 comparator chip, 2k trip-pot, nothing else, simple.
    -Home-made 12V lamp for the 'belly glass'. (from a flashlight, attached a molex)
    -one industrial 15" LCD donated by a fan. 24V (SWEET!)

Software:
    -WinXP Pro
    -MAMEUI32
    -MameHooker

This ROM is Treasure Bonus (subsino)

The cabinet:
    Unfortunately, although I'm good at electronics, I'm not so strong with the carpentry. I didn't have proper tools, materials, or space, you see, to build this properly out of wood and acrylic and other nice bits.
    This is a mock-up until such time as I can get some parts properly cut by some generous friends. Doing this shell gave me a whole Saturday of fun and helped me plan what the final, actual cabinet will look like, so it's all good.
    It's made from some poster-board I found at work of some technical writing awards for the bigwigs. You can see some of their faces from the inside. Pretty funny.
    All held together with square dowel, lots of hot glue, a few nails and some staples.

Now for the pics. Hope you all enjoy. I'll answer any questions anyone may have eventually, I promise.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The following 15 users say "Thanks" to SmusheR