Thread: Attempting to clean up/restore my Dad's old pachinko machine. Need help...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Attempting to clean up/restore my Dad's old pachinko machine. Need help...

My mom bought my dad his pachinko machine in 1980, but from what I've seen from reading online, I think my machine was originally made in 1978. The brand is New Gin (I'm attaching a picture from my phone, the front tray has already been removed in the pic, will post more, better ones later). To the best of my knowledge, the lights never worked on this machine, and it looks like there may be some electrical pieces missing. I'm wondering if there are any plans anywhere for setting up an LED system? I'm sure I could rig up something to make the lights work on their own, but I'd like them to function correctly with the gameplay. I'm just starting out, so any help, suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

180762_1825076505085_1185440241_2220720_3879957_n.jpg

2. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to grocco

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Attempting to clean up/restore my Dad's old pachinko machine. Need help...

Welcome to Pachitalk

there are a few members that have played around with LED lights befofe... im more of a keep it original kind of guy..

if you have any specific questions please feel free to ask.. as for a dat please post a close up pic of the lower right corner of the play field.. the date sticker is there..

Please also post a few pics of the back side...
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

4. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Attempting to clean up/restore my Dad's old pachinko machine. Need help...

New pics below...

The only reason I'm thinking about LEDs is just that I thought it might be easier if I have to redo the whole wiring to just completely replace and update it. I have no problem keeping things original though, but as you can see in the pics, some parts might be missing (aside from the bulbs, obviously, lol). One item I'm curious about (probably not important) is the thing in the left of the 2nd pic. It's attached through the case to the bar sticking out of the front (what is that for anyway?).

IMG_0856.jpgIMG_0857.jpgIMG_0855.jpgIMG_0858.jpg

6. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to grocco

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Tried posting some pics but it said a moderator must approve it first...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome!
    Is that a checkerboard design on the chrome around the tray that was removed? Or an optical illusion? Pretty cool effect if it is!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Cool looking machine. I'd like to see more photos of that flipper.. looks really unique.

As for the lights... there really isn't much to them. Check the threads... search for Vintage Wiring Diagram.. I'm sure lots will show up. I know I post several times with complete drawings for original lights.

You'll be able post photos with out issue soon enough. The system forces several post prior to allowing photos to keep the jerks and morons from posting photos they shouldn't be.

Looking forward to seeing more from your adventure!

OH.. BTW.. welcome to the addiction.
    Rusty Key

10. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to wrkey

Thanks
    Thanks Received

@BG1996, yes, it is a checkerboard pattern. Gonna try posting the pics again... Also I have removed the top hopper as shown in the first pic. I was trying to see if there was any opening to the lights on the right hand side, but they're dummies, apparently. If I'm going to be going through all the wiring, I might try to hook them up as well.

IMG_0855.jpgIMG_0858.jpgIMG_0856.jpgIMG_0857.jpgIMG_0859.jpgIMG_0865.jpg
    Last edited by grocco; 01-31-2011 at 02:57 AM.

12. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to grocco

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Very cool. As someone who is just toying with my first "restoration" I'll go ahead and endorse some #0000 steel wool and chrome polish for that face (especially since you got the tray off!). As you can see in my "I'm hooked!" thread, it did wonders for similar light rust spots and it looks like you have less rust than I did.

As for the date of your machine, the "52" and "12" means it had an expiration date of Dec. 1977, which means it was likely made in 1976. (As I understand, the machines are allowed to be in the parlor for a year before they need to be pulled.)

Good luck!

14. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to BG1996

Thanks
    Thanks Received

well your right it look as though most of the wires have been removed.. now its up to you for LED's or incandesant bulbs..

looks like a nice machine.. and a brand that is not seen qite as often..

I was happy to read you have the upper ball hopper... it is so often broken or missing

best of luck to ya on your repairs if that is any thing we can do to help please ask
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

16. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Great photos! Thanks for posting. The flipper is normal... my old eyes were just playing tricks on me I guess. I think you can get the basic lights working pretty easily. Keep in mind there is basically two circuits... one for when a jackpot is paid and one for when the upper hopper is empty. The jackpot circuit is closed on the postive side while the empty hopper is switched on the negative side. The difference allows for sending a remote ground signal to a main control board to notify the parlour operator that a particular machine is out of balls.

My suggestion... worry about the lights later. Do all the cleaning and repair on your machine first. Get it working as it should with out sticking or jaming. Then concentrate on the lights. Since the lights don't affect game play, I feel it's easier to make the machine functional and clean first then lights are a simple less than 1 hour job. Plus.. as you go through cleaning and repairing, you'll better understand how the machine works and how all the components (sockets, switches, wires, etc.) all fit in.

Good luck and I'm looking forward to seeing your progress!
    Rusty Key

18. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to wrkey

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by wrkey View Post
    My suggestion... worry about the lights later. Do all the cleaning and repair on your machine first. Get it working as it should with out sticking or jaming. Then concentrate on the lights.

I had a machine I pretty much wired from scratch with LEDs. You can see pics in one of my albums. Honestly, it doesn't really do much for me if you're just doing it to replace a bulb (I just wired in white LEDs, with the appropriate resistors). I will say that the post with the LEDs that flash and make patterns looks really neat, but if you're looking to make your machine work like original replacing lights with LEDs, In my opinion, I'm not sure it's worth it.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by ACMech View Post

I will say that the post with the LEDs that flash and make patterns looks really neat
    I think something like that is what I'm envisioning. I don't have a lot of experience with electrical stuff like that, but from some articles I've seen online, I think I can probably handle it. Ultimately though, I want the lights to function as they did originally, whether incandescent or LED, but if possible, I'd also like to work out something so the dummy light fixtures light up too.

21. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to grocco

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'm going to post a few more in-progress pics soon. Compared to what I've been reading on other people's projects, I think my machine is in excellent condition. I don't have enough balls for it to work properly (will be ordering more soon) but so far in testing everything seems to be working smoothly. Looks like this is just going to be a straight forward clean up and lubrication job (where necessary). Fingers crossed!

The bad side is I think I may already be addicted. I've been scouring Craig's list and the local paper for more machines. Haven't checked the local Thrift store yet though, lol...

23. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to grocco

Thanks
    Thanks Received

OK, here's the 99% finished product (still have to finish cleaning the nails). It looks and works great, I added a link below to a short video.
    IMG_8424.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hm_TRa0IdSo

Weird, just noticed the audio is out of sync on the vid as the lights flash when the jackpot is hit, not delayed like it looks here.
    Last edited by grocco; 02-21-2011 at 07:26 PM.

25. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to grocco

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Nice job!!

That is one clean looking machine.
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."