Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: do you like guns

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Smile Re: do you like guns

I had a cased Browning Medalist with the weights in like new condition, i think i paid around 125.00 in the late 60's.

it was a beautiful gun and was very accurate,

the only thing I didn't like was it really got dirty even after just firing 100 rounds.

my ruger mark 2 with bull barrel and thumbgrip didn't get that dirty even after 500 rounds.

I even had a browning automatic 22 rifle and a browning 9mm Hi Power automatic back then
    Last edited by luckydog; 02-01-2011 at 01:17 AM.
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

2. The following user says "Thanks" to luckydog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: do you like guns

OK...here's a pic of the Browning Medalist with the Leupold scope. Rather than a stock pic, this is my actual gun. Righty thumbrest grips.

IMG_0876.JPG

And, as requested, here's my Ruger Mark II.

Recoil compensator, sight-mount, ATN UltraSight, target trigger, extended mag release, extended slide release, and walnut lefty thumbrest grips.

IMG_0875.JPG

Here's a custom-fit case I made up for it. Keeps it nice and cozy, and all the stuff together with it. The long doo-dad's that are in the case above the barrel are the original black plastic grips. I keep those in the case so when a righty wants to shoot it, I can easily switch out the thumbrest side of the grip to make the gun ambidextrous.

IMG_0874.JPG

4. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to Habious

Thanks
    Thanks Received

One of the really neat features of the Browning Medalist is that it's got a "dry fire mode". It's a position of the safety. You move the safety FORWARD (up is "safe", down is "fire"), and now the firing pin won't drop, but the trigger will click with a pull. You reset it simply by pressing the safety lever back down with your thumb. You can practice dry-firing all day without working the action, or banging the firing pin.

When you want to shoot, move the safety lever backwards, and it's back to being in "gun-goes-bang" mode.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have a really nice 12GA Trap gun (Browning Citori Plus). But, I also inherited a Remington 870 Trap from my father. Not wanting a good gun to go to waste, but not needing another trap gun...I decided to have some fun with it.

This is BEFORE

Before7.jpg

This is AFTER

After13.jpg

And here it is with the folding stock unfolded.

Extended.jpg

Pool cue shown for scale...not included.

7. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to Habious

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Smile Re: do you like guns

I had a riot gun from levinworth prison, an old marlin 1897 i think 12 gauge with barrel 1/4 inch over minimun length and no shell capacity limiter it had exposed hammer and double extractors, when i used it trap shooting it was so loud guys would come over to see what i was shooting

also a winchester 101 over and under 20 gauge with engraving and fancy checkering

others i owned were a 870 remington pump, 1200 mossburg deluxe pump with ventelated rib along with a few others.

my favorite trap shooting was the 870 it was very reliable and i didn't mind it getting wet in the rain or falling over between rounds

i took the 870 pheahant hunting twice and got a bird each day, i felt bad killing such beauttiful birds and never when hunting again
    Last edited by luckydog; 02-01-2011 at 02:06 AM.

9. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to luckydog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by owennewton View Post
    most of the time here we drive up Baker creek road or Nestucca river road into weyerhaeuser leased forest land to shoot. The one time I went to the outdoor range as a guest (private club) I got hit in the knee with a ricochet. At least I was able t check "getting shot" off the list of life experiences that day.
    I took a teenagers' earlobe off with a fragment from a 7.62x39 shell. He offered to sell his guns to me and said he'd never shoot again. Powderpuff!!
    Bill
    "trying Is the first step towards failure" Homer J. Simpson

11. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to bfree

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Here in CA, we have probably the most restrictive gun laws. Limits on magazine capacity might make sense to some but frankly "assault weapons" bans are ridiculous. The result is a gun that is banned merely for appearance, while another with the same functions and capacity are perfectly acceptable.

Pictured below is a hunting trip I took with my youngest son in central CA. We were hunting wild boar and on this day, didn't come across any. So we spent the rest of the day fishing and ridding the cattle ranch of some of its thousands of ground squirrels. My son is reloading a 10-22 magazine after some target shooting. The top gun is the 10-22, my all-time favorite gun. Cheap to fire, easy to fix and modify, and so much fun. The second is an AR I built from scratch. I purchased an 'unlisted' lower receiver and installed a trigger assembly and stock. I then purchased an upper, the bolt and pin, etc. For those of you who live in CA and are familiar with the laws here, you'll notice the "bullet button" magazine release. It requires the use of a tool to release the magazine. Frankly, it's BS. It makes it that much harder for me to clear the weapon and make it safe. Also, the 20 round magazine you see is permanently modified to accept only ten rounds.

I'm actually not much of a gun nut. I'm around them daily, but rarely shoot recreationally. Although I agree that guns can be dangerous, I believe a society without them is even more dangerous and more at-risk.

AR_1022.jpg
    A Hardy har har...

13. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to Meathead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

meathead, thx for sharing all that, I feel your pain with restrictions in CA, I came from NYC, almost as bad. The best thing in my view for youngsters, is show them what shooting/hunting is all about, 1st thing it does is takes away their curiosity to go look for firearms when adults aren't around. 2nd it teaches them the proper 'Use & Respect' for them, and what damage they can inflict, but also what safe enjoyment can be had, then they decide for themselves.
    You did a Xcellent job on that AR Kudos. Maybe I git me one oneday.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I agree about the Ruger 10/22 rifle. I had a friend who had one with a nice scope on it. It was just impossible to miss with that thing!

And, for modifications, it's probably about 3rd in the list of all-time "modifyable" long guns (M-16/AR-15 would be first, and Remington 870 would be second).

Thanks
    Thanks Received

nearby Palmetto has about 4 big gun shows a year

in a few hour and for under $200.00 you can get a conceled weapons permit there good for 7 years

Florida Concealed Weapons Permit

other than a background check and 3 day waiting period its easy to buy guns.

if you buy one at the show you have to pay a 15.00 to 25.00 fee to pick it up at a local dealer 3 days later

Florida has the "wild west" law, if you feel threatened you have the right to protect yourself

and no. I don't have a permit to carry

17. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to luckydog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by bfree View Post
    I took a teenagers' earlobe off with a fragment from a 7.62x39 shell. He offered to sell his guns to me and said he'd never shoot again. Powderpuff!!
    after I got hit I cleared my firearm, set it down and looked at my wound. it went in through the folded hem of my shots and when I pulled the leg up to look the cloth strands pulled the bullet out. I was bleeding and it felt like someone had hit me with a stick swung very hard. When I realized that I was ok other than having a hole in my knee I limped over to the car and dug out the cleanest napkin from the floorboards, folded it clean side out and used electrical tape to patch my wound. I then went back and continued to shoot, I was not going to let a freak accident ruin my day.

I know I guy that was hit in the thigh with a ricochet jacket from a 7.62X39, it went in 4 inches and took a operation to remove the metal but two weeks after he was back in the woods blasting away.
    the

LLTR

19. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to owennewton

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
    Here in CA, we have probably the most restrictive gun laws. Limits on magazine capacity might make sense to some but frankly "assault weapons" bans are ridiculous. The result is a gun that is banned merely for appearance. The second is an AR I built from scratch. I purchased an 'unlisted' lower receiver and installed a trigger assembly and stock. I then purchased an upper, the bolt and pin, etc. For those of you who live in CA and are familiar with the laws here, you'll notice the "bullet button" magazine release. It requires the use of a tool to release the magazine. Frankly, it's BS. It makes it that much harder for me to clear the weapon and make it safe. Also, the 20 round magazine you see is permanently modified to accept only ten rounds.

AR_1022.jpg
    I agree, our 'tactical weapons' ('assault weapon' is a dirty word ) ban laws are absurd.

What optics do you have on your AR?

Quote Originally Posted by ptofimpact View Post
    The best thing in my view for youngsters, is show them what shooting/hunting is all about, 1st thing it does is takes away their curiosity to go look for firearms when adults aren't around. 2nd it teaches them the proper 'Use & Respect' for them, and what damage they can inflict, but also what safe enjoyment can be had, then they decide for themselves.
    Check into the 'Appleseed project' for people of all ages.

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/index.html

It not only teachs markmanship, but also history of our country.

I plan to attend a shoot this coming spring

I will post this link in our group area also.

Quote Originally Posted by Habious View Post
    I agree about the Ruger 10/22 rifle. I had a friend who had one with a nice scope on it. It was just impossible to miss with that thing!
    I have a 10/22 that I've had since the 70's

It still shoots like it was new

Quote Originally Posted by luckydog View Post
    nearby Palmetto has about 4 big gun shows a year

in a few hour and for under $200.00 you can get a conceled weapons permit there good for 7 years

Florida Concealed Weapons Permit

other than a background check and 3 day waiting period its easy to buy guns.

if you buy one at the show you have to pay a 15.00 to 25.00 fee to pick it up at a local dealer 3 days later

Florida has the "wild west" law, if you feel threatened you have the right to protect yourself

and no. I don't have a permit to carry
    I wish our state had better CCW laws.

Bad guys don't do bad things if they don't know who is armed.

Don't forget to post your pictures in our group area too

http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/group.php?groupid=9
    Last edited by BigBearSteve; 02-02-2011 at 12:54 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    My favorite color is Ham

21. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to BigBearSteve

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The optic in the picture is an ACOG replica. I've tried a number of different optics, but keep going back to the iron sights. That particular day my bro-in-law brought several of his AR's and we tried out several sights including an Eotech and a Red Dot as well.

The replica was actually quite accurate once sighted in, but frankly not that practical on that type of rifle. The Eotech was great, especially considering it can be set up to cowitness through the iron sights but I just find all of them kind of clumsy. They add something fragile to something that's rather rugged and durable. I don't know, it's probably training. I have to shoot once a month on a course, sometimes using Vietnam war era versions.

I like the option of dropping on the optics quickly, but I prefer the rifle stripped down, or just having the handle mounted on top.
    A Hardy har har...

23. The following user says "Thanks" to Meathead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Not necessarily on track with other posts but can anyone shed some light on something a gun I have does.
    It is a 12 Gage auto made by JC Higgins (Sears). After it did this twice I have never used it again. I swore I pulled the trigger only once. First time I was practicing. Pulled the trigger and something was not right. I look down and two spent shells on the ground. I checked the remaining number of shells and I was two less. I took the gun home and cleaned it. I went back the next day to shot it again. Loaded it, knew how many shells, and none on the ground. I aimed, fired and again louder and more recoil then I felt was normal. Pulled the trigger once. No noticeable second shot but two spent shells on the ground and two gone when I unloaded.
    Can it fire off two rounds with one pull of the trigger and still seam like one shot?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I shoot, collect and reload.

I have a C&R license and have managed to put together a fair collection of odds and ends. My favorites to shoot at the range are my No I Mk III Enfield, Schmidt Rubin K31 and Ruger 10/22. I also love to shoot trap, skeet and sporting clays.

Since I look mainly at military rifles to collect, I too have had the extreme pleasure of cleaning cosmoline off/out of a rifle. Worst for this I ever experienced was my Mosin Nagant. It was absolutely doused in the stuff and I had to completely disassemble the thing and soak all the metal parts in cleaner. Fortunately, the rifle is relatively simple in design, so the disassembly/reassembly was not that bad.

Love the gun talk!
    I used to eat lots of natural foods until I found out most people die of natural causes.

26. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to teachermaniac

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Laz maybe your sear is worn down making it automatic

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Wow, that's scary. I can't imagine a shotgun, cycling so quickly that it seems to be one shot. I wonder why it stops at the second and doesn't cycle all through? Maybe you've released the trigger by then? Get it looked at; it's good that you shelved. Sounds like LD might be right.
    A Hardy har har...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have seen that issue with a worn sear that allowed 2 or 3 shots on one trigger pull, take it to a good respected gunsmith before you shoot it again but with it being a higgins, unless it has sentimental value it is probably not worth having repaired

(7 years working in a gun store, 2 years doing the repairs)
    the

LLTR

Thanks
    Thanks Received

one time when i was at the indoor range here a guy came in the target shoot he ran the target out loaded his gun and pulled the trigger

it was a fully automatic pistol, they yelled at him and threw him out and told him never to come back

Thanks
    Thanks Received

we had a S K S that someone tried to make full auto but ended up making it so if you pulled the trigger one time, even if you let go it would cycle the entire magazine or stovepipe and jam. as it was it would not be true auto as it was slamfireing rather than a full cycle of the action. with a S K S or a A K I can do 3-5 round bursts just by pulling the trigger right, it just takes practice and keeps the gun legal
    the

LLTR

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast