Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: do you like guns

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: do you like guns

I have a 1940's Turkish Mauser still paper wraped and encased in cosmiline, the cleaning kit is encased as well. at this age it is more or less a rock hard enamel over the rifle.

Some of the highlights of my collection are S.V.T.40, 7.62X54R 10 round semiauto, A.K. 47, A.K.M.A.K. 90, S.K.S. and a paratrooper version of the S.K.S., 4 Moisin Nagant rifles in different configurations, some Mausers, 2 Mossberg .22 training rifles with fold down front pistol grips, Bakel shotgun, 2 Mossberg 500 shotguns, pa63 Makarov, Russian Makarov, Bulgarian Makarov, Balister Molina copy of a 1911 in .45acp, Tokarov tt33 Russian copy of a 1911 in 7.62X25, N.N.A. .22 mag revolver with 1"bbl (very fun to shoot but hard to hold) among others.

I have a full case of 7.62X54r steel tipped, case each of 7.62X39 fmj and hollow point, boxes and boxes of other random shells, some I don't even have guns for
    the

LLTR

2. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to owennewton

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I used to hunt with my 50 cal. flintlock long rifle, or my double barrel 12gauge muzzleloader shotgun, when i was younger. A 50 cal. round ball is about the same size as a pachinko ball.
    IMAGINATION IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN KNOWLEDGE

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    Well i was born and raised in Canada, my parents both originally from Greece. This makes me Greek by birthright if you will, and therefore I was subject to compulsory Military service, as all Greek males are. So when I moved to Greece I did my stint. At the time the term was 18 months, but due to my status as a Foreign Greek Volunteer I was only required to do 6 months. Had i not volunteered and spent more then 6 months in Greece after my 18th birthday i would have been obliged to do the full 18. I was 23 when i moved to Greece and i had already accumulated 5 months in Greece after my 18th Birthday due to an extended after Graduation trip i took after high school.. so it was a no Brainer.. enlist and save 12 months.

the standard rifle we used was again an HK G3A3, and for the sake of rambling some more I'm an anti tank T.O.W. operator (that was my specialty)
    i find it interesting that being born and raised in Canada that you were still required to serve... how do ya feel about mandatory service??

thought long and hard about serving myself but got started with kids early and had nothing but horror stories of friends that joined...
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I got my draft notice on my 23rd birthday

they gave me 20 days to get my affairs in order and report for duty

No, I did not like the draft

but, at least now I get VA medical benefits
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Thanks
    Thanks Received

i would consider a draft and mandatory service somewhat different... being told some day you have to go to war would sux for anyone... knowing for your whole life that your going to have to do your time would be a bit different...

Mandatory service means you "could" see combat... draft damn near guaratees it
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them

7. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ran a gun store about 25 years ago, saw and shot just about everything. Haven't fired a weapon in about 15 years but I'm pretty sure I could still punch a hole in the paper(at 5 feet).
    Bill
    "trying Is the first step towards failure" Homer J. Simpson

9. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to bfree

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Moparformances View Post
    i find it interesting that being born and raised in Canada that you were still required to serve... how do ya feel about mandatory service??

thought long and hard about serving myself but got started with kids early and had nothing but horror stories of friends that joined...
    thought long and hard about serving myself but got started with kids early and had nothing but horror stories of friends that joined...[/QUOTE]
    well a good many countries have the same sort of requirements,they allow the children of their citizens to retain the citizenship of their parents with all the perks and responsibilities that might entail.

my thoughts on mandatory service. well there are a lot worse things a young person could be doing with their life, it builds character, and responsibility (for those that lack both) it can lead to life long friendships. and give young people a new perspective on life . so i am all for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Moparformances View Post
    i would consider a draft and mandatory service somewhat different... being told some day you have to go to war would sux for anyone... knowing for your whole life that your going to have to do your time would be a bit different...

Mandatory service means you "could" see combat... draft damn near guaratees it
    well during my time, Greece and Turkey were in an escalated state of relations over sovereignty a little rock in the Aegean, and as things escalated it brought the 2 countries very close to war. actually.. 16 years ago to this day.
    the alarm rang at about 22:00 hrs and we were heading for the border, all vehicles where loaded with live ammunition, ammunition was given to the soldiers,(something never done in any sort of drill) and we proceeded in cover of darkness to our positions, ( I was stationed in North Eastern Greece near the Turkish border, our positions were 1km from the border) waiting for the commencement of hostilities.. The Morale was high, no one was thinking OMG OMG we are gonna die, everyone was ready to do what they had to do.. im sure on both sides.. at some point in the morning about 9 am if i remember correctly.. things had been sorted after diplomatic circles where able to calm down both countries.. we then packed up and headed back to base.. there where only 2 things that scared me that night..
    1) when we were at the ammunition depot loading up our armored Tow vehicle and people where scrambling back and forth.. 2 idiots carrying a live anti tank round dropped it.. it was slow motion as that thing dropped, and bounced, surely it takes more then that to set off something like that.. but had it been set off inside the ammunition depot, they'd be still scraping soldiers off the side of the buildings up there..

2) the ride back from border, i was assigned to ride shotgun, for one of the trucks which were loaded with ammunition, the driver kept nodding off until one point he left the road nearly falling into a ditch. FUN STUFF!

im sure other people did more important things and im not bragging or saying hey look how cool i was.. just telling a story, about a little Canadian kid, fresh off the boat in a foreign country. stuck in the middle of a mess.

"I've stopped fighting my inner demons, we are on the same side now."

11. The following 9 users say "Thanks" to Sid

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Do we have any Re-Loaders in here??

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    my thoughts on mandatory service. well there are a lot worse things a young person could be doing with their life, it builds character, and responsibility (for those that lack both) it can lead to life long friendships. and give young people a new perspective on life . so i am all for it.

as for the rest of your military carear... that which does not kill ya makes you stronger... or does it just scare the hell out of ya??? its amazing who they will let carry Bombs

Thanks
    Thanks Received

no combat stories here, I was inbetween Berlin and Vietnam conflicts.

after getting a top secret clearance I worked with computers in the army war room support division

at the Pentegon for my tour of duty 1963 to 1965.

I did my own reloading in the 60's and 70's

38spl 357 mag 44spl 44mag 30 carbine 45auto 9mm

15. The following user says "Thanks" to luckydog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

luckydog, I still have my old RCBS Single stage press from the 70's Still use it exclusively.Load .38, .357, .45, .40, 30.06, and soon to start loading 9MM. The grandson is looking to buy a Berretta, 92A1 in 9MM, so its time for him to reload his own, he's been shooting my reloads since he was 8 years old, he's now 21. Now let me qualify that; He was trained at a private club I used to belong to in NYC, by a great friend who was an NYPD Instructor an myself. Considered a multi-stage press, but I enjoy the process, so why rush it.

17. The following user says "Thanks" to ptofimpact

Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

i used to be in the sea cadet corps over here and we fired .22 rifles in competitions, i went a did a course with them to shot bolt action SA80's and out of the 40 cadets on the course i was the only one who got marksman and was allowed to shoot a real SA80 on automatic now that was fun i really enjoyed it but havent fired a gun since i left

a link for those who are wondering what the sea cadet corps is
    Sea Cadets - Home

19. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to mcknli7

Thanks
    Thanks Received

we used to go to an indoor pistol range in chicago almost every week and shoot up a lot of ammo, it was much cheaper reloading my own.

some weekends we would go to fox valley outdoor gun range and do trap shooting, 22 plinking at corncobs in a pond and long range rifle shooting.

shotgun shells were 2.50 a box of 25 at sears, not worthwhile reloading.

for long range i used a M1 30 cal carbine, a 30 cal carbine marlin levermatic and a marlin 336t lever action in 44 magnum or 44 spl

my favorite for the plinking pond was my old octogon barrel winchester 22 pump with exposed hammer

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by luckydog View Post
    we used to go to an indoor pistol range in chicago
    Gabby Hartnet's or Bell's?
    Bill
    "trying Is the first step towards failure" Homer J. Simpson

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'm not sure, the 50 foot range was in the store's basement

here's the one I've gone to here a few times

Bullseye Pistol Range at 1012 10th St E in Palmetto, FL 34221 - Best of the Web Local

Thanks
    Thanks Received

most of the time here we drive up Baker creek road or Nestucca river road into weyerhaeuser leased forest land to shoot. The one time I went to the outdoor range as a guest (private club) I got hit in the knee with a ricochet. At least I was able t check "getting shot" off the list of life experiences that day.
    the

LLTR

24. The following user says "Thanks" to owennewton

Thanks
    Thanks Received

getting shot is not on my bucket list

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by ptofimpact View Post
    Do we have any Re-Loaders in here??
    Yes

I have an old RCBS rockchucker, with a 5 station 'Piggyback' progessive loader, for pistol cartridges.

And a Lee single stage press, for rifle rounds.

I load:

9mm
    40 S&W
    .45 ACP
    .38 Special
    .357 Magnum
    .44 Magnum
    .30 Carbine
    .30-06

And soon:

30-30
    My favorite color is Ham

27. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to BigBearSteve

Thanks
    Thanks Received

- Taurus PT-99 9mm
    - S&W 5906 9mm
    - Browning Medalist target .22 (was my dad's - from the 60's) with Leupold pistol scope
    - Ruger Mark II .22 (with custom left thumbrest grips, ATN UltraSight, target trigger, and recoil compensator) - Ridiculously accurate gun!!
    - (soon to have) Glock 31 Gen4

- Tactical Remington 870 12GA with folding stock, 21" barrel, and extended magazine tube
    - Browning Citori Plus 12GA (over/under trap with release-trigger)
    - 20GA single-shot shotgun - for varmints
    - Flaig Ace .243 Win competition target rifle (built on a Mauser 98 action)

I reloaded with my dad in my youth, when we both shot trap regularly. Now that I'm in the big city, I just don't have the time (or place) to shoot often enough to warrant reloading.

I linked a couple of pics for the odder/rarer guns (most folks haven't heard of the Browning Medalist - it's one of the prettiest competition pistols ever made!)
    The Flaig Ace I have VERY little info on. My dad had it custom made by some small gunsmithing company (Flaig) back in the mid 60's. I need to have the stock refinished and have a gunsmith thoroughly go through it since it hasn't been fired in probably 30 years.

29. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Habious

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I like that Medalist, beautiful gun

Post a pic of your Ruger MKII, I'd really like to see it. (I have two)
    My favorite color is Ham

31. The following user says "Thanks" to BigBearSteve

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast