Thread: Sticking Tulip

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Sticking Tulip

Hi All, have a Nishjiin Super DX, working ok, but have one Tulip that sticks. Ball opens Tulip, and Tulip1.jpgthen just sits there, doesnt enter Tulip. I know I read about this pblm, but searched cannot find it. Any suggestions appreciated. Here are 2 pics. Thanks.

Tulip3.jpg

2. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to ptofimpact

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Sticking Tulip

my guess would be something stuck behind the ball...

or the ball is the wring size... can you get to the back of the tulip?? try using a magnet to remove the ball from the front..

and if all else fails pull the nails and remove the tulip.. there pretty simple mechs and should be easy to trouble shoot once removed..
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

4. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Moparformances, many thanks for your time and expertise. I have 'sized' the balls using a 'Drill gauge', they all seem to be approx 11mm, but I will re-check. The back of the tulip is covered by mechanisms and plastic covers, but I can retrieve the ball when it sticks, I remove it and the pblm will re-occur. I shall follow your suggestions.
    Thanks.

6. The following user says "Thanks" to ptofimpact

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Maybe I can offer some assistance. The tuplips, while appearing to be complex are really quite simple in the function. Sometimes we (meaning me) tend to think things are more complex than they are and thus prevents us from seeing the simple problem of a simple device. Here's how it works starting with the tulip closed. When the ball falls into the tuplip it lands on a 'level ramp' that directs the ball rearward. Once is crosses the fulcrum on the lever ramp it pushes downward in the back causing the front of the lever to rise. The front of the lever ramp has two 'prongs' that are designed to fit under a ridge on each of the 'petals' of the tulip. As the lever ramp rises in the front, these prongs 'flip open' the petals. Additionally as the lever ramp drops in the rear the ball is allowed to 'escape'. This escapement can be either to the right or to the lever and in some case out the rear. If the ball is to escape to the side then the lever ramp is usually 'bent' downward toward the escapement hole thus providing the 'initiative' for the ball to go to the escape hole. When the second ball drops into the pocket, the prongs are designed to be wide enough for the ball to pass through them and thus landing on the lower portion of petals. As the ball hits the petals it forces them closed AND the same ridges that were used by the prongs to open the tulip is then used to pull the lever ramp downward and back into the 'reset' or initial position. Simple?

Ok.. now to analyze your problem. Since you are saying it's the first ball that get's stuck then the problem is the ball cannot escape the pocket and there is only one reason it cannot and that is it can't fit into the escapement hole. The first thing to check is to insure the hole isn't blocked by either a forgein object or a massive ball jam in the machine. I don't think this is the case for you. Another possiblity is the ball size but I'm confident you have all the right size balls (feel free to add whatever jokes and/or puns here as needed). So, that leaves us with the only remaining possiblity and that is the rear of the lever ramp is not in the correct position for the ball to leave. One possiblity is the that the ramp itself has become 'deformed' on the rear portion and preventing the escape of the ball. This is VERY unlikely but I am mentioning for completeness. The second possibility is that there is a something underneath the ball ramp that is preventing it from dropping low enough for the ball to clear the escape hole. Using a skinny screw driver you can reach through the tulip and press down on the rear of the ramp and in doing so you can see if there is something blocking it. Keep in mind that the 'second ball' that drops into the tulip does roll under the ramp out the rear and thus if one is hung up in there the ramp will not drop all the way. The third possiblity and the one I've seen most frequent is that the combination of prong adjustment and wear on the tulip prevents the tulip from opening all the way just from the weight of the ball and thus preventing the ramp from being low enough to all escapement of the ball. However, in this case the ball usually drops with the normal vibrations of the game and thus I'm not sure if this is your problem.

My thought.. check possibility number two, somethings caught under the ramp in the back. You may have to remove the back of the machine to investigate or you can pull the tulip out through the front. I would suggest that you approach the problem from the rear to reduce the risk of damaging the front cell and pocket that everyone sees.

Good luck and I hope this helps!
    Rusty Key

8. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to wrkey

Thanks
    Thanks Received

wrkey, Many Many thanks. I will read your directions, try to absorb them, and perhaps fix the problem. In any event, will post my results, and appreciate your time and expertise.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

does the machine work fine otherwise???

do you get payouts when balls land in other pockets???

if so there something stuck in there or something is bent or damaged...

if your machine works otherwise.. the best results would be full tulip removal
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

11. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hi again, I tried what wrkey suggested with a skinny screwdriver. I fiddled around a bit, and exactly what I did I am not completely sure.
    Best I can describe it is;
    The 2 little 'fingers that were sticking 'out' into the tulip, returned inwards, and the tulip closed. I havent landed a ball there again in play, so I dont know results yet, dont want to 'force' one in, want to see normal result, but I will post when it occurs.
    Appreciate all your time and expertise. A Great bunch of Folks~ Thanks.

13. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to ptofimpact

Thanks
    Thanks Received

You'll find it much easier and quicker to test by dropping balls by hand into the pockets. Just open the glass door and drop one in between the two nails and see what happens. First one should fall to the rear, open the tulip and pay a jackpot. Second one should drop down, close the tulip and pay a jackpot. If it get's hung again.. I'd be suspicious of the tongs being out of adjustment or worn preventing the correct operation.

Having fun yet?
    Rusty Key

15. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to wrkey

Thanks
    Thanks Received

wrkey, Thanks again, same to moparformances. I also put a drop of 3 in 1 oil on pins of tulip using a Qtip. wrkey, thx for that explanetion of how the tulip works, and I shall try dropping the balls into tulip, report back.

17. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to ptofimpact

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by ptofimpact View Post
    wrkey, Thanks again, same to moparformances. I also put a drop of 3 in 1 oil on pins of tulip using a Qtip. wrkey, thx for that explanetion of how the tulip works, and I shall try dropping the balls into tulip, report back.

you need to be very careful using oil anyplace balls can touch it as they will track it and in the long run you can have more troubles. At the same time I have had to use the tiniest amount a couple of times to get things to work right but the rule is "the less, the better"
    the

LLTR

19. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to owennewton

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by owennewton View Post
    you need to be very careful using oil anyplace balls can touch it as they will track it and in the long run you can have more troubles. At the same time I have had to use the tiniest amount a couple of times to get things to work right but the rule is "the less, the better"
    Yes I agree with Owen... less or no oil is best. I have never put oil on any of my machines except on the bearings for the flipper. Oil tends to attract dust like a tornado to a mobile home park. Before long the dust/oil combo is preventing more than it helps. But.. that just my opinion.
    Rusty Key

21. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to wrkey

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks again guys, agreed too much will cause pblms, that having been said, now that I have beat this sticking tulip to death, perhaps my pblm is beyond that; now I dont seem to get any payouts at all, all the dang tulips just load up with balls...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Sounds like there is a ball jam. Time to pull the back of and start cleaning! Take lots of photos. Take something off... take more photos... take something off... etc. ad nauseum. Then, clean each piece with windex/glass cleaner... some even put them in the dish washer with NO HEAT DRY CYCLE but i"ve never been brave enough to do that. Shine up all the swivel pins with fine emory cloth. I bet that once you do this.. you not only will find the source of the ball jams but when your complete your machine will work perfectly.

You'll also soon figure out that half the fun of these machines is tearing them down and then putting them back together again!

Good luck!
    Rusty Key

24. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to wrkey

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Oh My, I was afraid you might say that...hope I am up to the challenge~

Thanks
    Thanks Received

wrkey, you were correct, the Tulips were jamming due to ball jam. Took the Tulips out, cleaned and re-shaped a bit, but the track behind the 2 of them was loaded with balls. Removed the balls, and in the track, was a piece of dried out rubber grommet, that holds the light bulbs in place in the payout mecanism. Tulips seem to function fine now. Many thanks to all the assistance, I am sure I will have more questions.
    Also, I found using a pair of 'surgical hemostats', think thats what they are called, helpful in removing the balls, debris, and very helpful in removing the brass nails holding the Tulips on the board. The work nicely for adjusting the nails on the board as well.
    Thanks

27. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to ptofimpact