Thread: Sankyo Lumina frame: Card Reader version VS Cash version

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Sankyo Lumina frame: Card Reader version VS Cash version

Some time ago, I bought a T-REX cell for my Sankyo Lumina frame (CR version). The problem is, I didn't notice the cell was the cash version of the cell.

I put the cell in the Lumina frame, no error number on the back but the yellow light in the front (top left) was lit.

I start to play, the frame paid the first ball entering a tulip, then the yellow light started to flash, and there was an error 5 on the payout board.

After I posted a thread about the problem here compirate suggest to change the payout board for a cash version.

So after a couple of month trying to find the cash version of this board, I ended up buying a full machine, frame and cell of Shimura World, cash version. I just got it two days ago, so here is the result:

The payout board (cash version) is really similar to the Card Reader version. a couple of components extra on the CR version, and of course the red socket to connect the red connector which go to the dongle board.

In the Lumina frame Card Reader version, I removed the payout board, and put the cash payout board into it. I reconnected all plug, except the red one for the dongle board (no socket for it).

Then I put the Shimura World cell (CASH version) into the modified CRLumina frame, and everyone work fine, the machine pay as it suppose to be, no error or light turned on.

I tried just the Shimura World cell, I need to test also with the T-Rex cell but so far, I can confirm than a payout board CASH version work in a CR Lumina frame, and will allow to play a cash version cell.

What I would like to attempt:

Allow to play cash version of cells into Card Reader version of frame without changing the payout board.

So far, If the Simura cell (cash version) is played in the Lumina frame with the CR payout board, the first time the machine have to pay, it will pay, but will make an error 5 and will not repay after that. If after each pay, I push the reset button on the CR payout board, the machine will pay again the next shot, but the reset button need to be push after every payout.

So the payout mechanism is not totally locked when a cash cell is in the CR frame. it seem that at startup, the machine see something is a bit weird (yellow light turned on but no error), then allow a first payout, bit I suppose don't get the confirmation after payout or something, so the error 5 is issued.

Unfortunately, my electronic knowledge is really limited, but I will try to find a way to solve what is missing, or hack something so anyone here could do the same to play any cell (cash or CR) into their Card Reader frame
    WARNING! These smileys contain violence
    strong language brief scenes of nudity
    and are not recommended for younger audience

2. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to TilionMtl

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Sankyo Lumina frame: Card Reader version VS Cash version

I don't have any payout boards from cash frames (or cash versions of cells), but I suspected that physically the payout board was the same but with only the CR interface connector and associated components removed, and your findings appear to have confirmed this.

I believe the main difference will be in the software running on the microcontroller chip on that board. This chip will be the big 64 pin one labelled 'SUBNAC', if you look at the writing on each chip, it'll probably indicate a different version. (Pictures could help here!)

I would expect that due to this chip change, the communication signals between the cell and the payout board are subtly different, hence the error code being flagged after the first payout is made and the subsequent return to normal after the board is reset.

I think that making a universal CR/cash version of the payout board would be as simple as swapping the SUBNAC chip on a CR board for one with a hacked version which is able to communicate with both CR and cash cells. Unfortunately this processor is a semi-secure chip and needs special programming equipment to make any changes to the code. This equipment is available in Korea (they like hacking pachinko/pachislo software there!) and on the Japanese black market (the authorities really don't like hacked pachinko/pachislo software there!), but the kit costs a couple of thousand dollars and each replacement chip costs between $50-$100.

The other way of fixing the problem would be to build an interface between the cash cell and the CR payout board. This interface would translate the comms between the boards, and make the cell think it it was talking to a cash frame while the payout board would be receiving comms as if it was a CR cell. For a good electronics hacker, this wouldn't be too difficult to achieve. Monitor the comms between cell and payout board for both types, and code up a microcontroller chip to do the translation.

4. The following 9 users say "Thanks" to daverob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Sankyo Lumina frame: Card Reader version VS Cash version

Thank-you Daverob for the really good information

The SUBNAC chips have different writing. I have two CR frames, and both chip on the payout boards have different writing, only the white sticker is the same for both CR version, and different for the CASH version. This is a pic of the three payout boards, I wrote CR and CASH version on the right side of the chip:

This is one of the CR version of the payout board:

This is the CASH version of the payout board:

As you said, I will probably try to put a microcontroller between the cell and the payout board. My knowledge about microcontroller is ok, but my electronic knowledge is really limited. I will see if I can find anything.
    WARNING! These smileys contain violence
    strong language brief scenes of nudity
    and are not recommended for younger audience

6. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to TilionMtl