Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: First time pachinko, Need some pointers.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: First time pachinko, Need some pointers.

Back again. now that I've cleaned the front I've attempted to start cleaning the back. Off the top does anyone know what the heck this bell is for? (pic below) It's not the jackpot bell because I already took that one off but it was located under the jackpot almost on the way to the ball bucket. Almost mid center. Played around with it and it didn't seem to figure it out.

Next up and the big annoying question of the day... How do I remove/replace the staples. I took a few pics of the loading tray and without removing the staples I can't clean the tracks or trays properly. I don't want to damage the plastic any more than it is. I don't really know what tools I should even attempt to use on them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The following user says "Thanks" to Alzarakh

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Alzarakh View Post
    . Off the top does anyone know what the heck this bell is for?
    almost ever vintage i have seen has 2 bells.. the first one for the jackpot.. the second is rung when balls are dirverted from the top tray to the bottom.. (when the top tray is full of winnings balls are diverted to the lower tray) the second bells usualy has a different tone as well..

Winners

Quote Originally Posted by Alzarakh View Post
    . How do I remove/replace the staples..
    Very carefully Grasshopper

pull the part off
    cut the ends of the staple off as short as you can..
    the with a small screwdrive/awl/something work the shank out..

Make sure you mark the original location of the parts removed befor removing them... so ya get them back in the right spot
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

4. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Mopar is right on with the second bell and about removing the staples.

Here are a couple other techniques to remove staples. I use a very very small flat screwdriver or tack puller to dig under the middle of the staple. Then I use a bigger screwdriver or a tack puller and slide under the staple and rotate it to lift usually one side of the staple out. as I do this I hold the plastic down with a pair of side cutting pliers (linemans pliers) so that the plastic doesn't break as I am pulling the staple up. usually only one side comes up. I then take the side cutting pliers and grab over the other side of the stable that is still in the plastic/wood. I squeeze the staple then rotate the pliers so that the side of the pliers with the staple in the mouth lifts up as the opposite side is against the machine acting as a fulcrum or lever point. I lift up slowly and again hold the plastic down as I pull the staple up (either with my finger or another tool). This is my preferred method.

the second is similar. I take a pair of diagonal cutting pliers and cut the middle of the staple. then pry up the two sides of the staple with a small screw driver. then pull each piece out with the side cutting pliers as mentioned above.

naturally you will want to use screws and not staples when you put it back together to make it easier for you to remove the parts if you ever need to do so.

best of luck to you!

first pic - diagonal cutting pliers
    second pic - side cutting pliers
    third pic - tack puller
    Last edited by thepachinkoman; 01-15-2011 at 09:29 AM. Reason: add picture labels

6. The following 9 users say "Thanks" to thepachinkoman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'm back. Thank you for the pointers on how to get the staples out.

I've been able to work on the back a bit, but I'm a little disapointed on how much damage the staple removal caused. Nothing broke or cracked but it got scuffed up fairly bad in some spots. But, its on the back of the machine so no biggie. (And it didn't help that the position of some of the staples made it inevitable to cause damage).

Now I did replace all the staples with actual screws! I used some washers I found in my dad's workshop for when the plastic screwed into the plasitc so that I wouldn't break it. Good idea?

Next up, the top part is cleaned. But how do I remove the big gigantic piece at the bottom? I see the obvious staples in the way but it seems the other mechanisms are also holding it all together. In picture 3 I think I marked them with an arrow. The jackpot, bells and covers were easy enough, just take out the screws. But would it be better for me to just go q-tip crazy and not take the entire thing off? I do want to do the best I can without full restoration but I think the screws I changed already make it look 10 times better. Not to mention how much easier it now is to take out some screws and have the piece just pop off! Thanks all!
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (74.8 KB, 12 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (70.3 KB, 13 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (81.7 KB, 12 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (71.5 KB, 11 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (26.6 KB, 12 views)
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (67.6 KB, 10 views)
    • File Type: jpg 7.jpg (74.3 KB, 11 views)
    • File Type: jpg 8.jpg (27.1 KB, 12 views)

8. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to Alzarakh

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It's like an onion. You need to peel it in layers.

Take lots of "before" pictures before you start disassembling.

Jeff
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

10. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to JACKSJE4

Thanks
    Thanks Received

most of the back is held with staples... there might ba a nial or two at the pivot points but staples..

as for the wasers.. washers are great but using pan head screws and the right size drill bit will keep ya from needing them
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

12. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2