Thread: Syscom volume controls

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Syscom volume controls

Has any one found the volume pots that syscom uses on there machines any ware else? If you want to order more than the 5 for 15 dollars they will not combine shipping to take the total order lower in cost. It can't cost much to send those pots. At 15.00 for 5 including shipping that is still a lot for them. They could put a lot of them in a box and still charge the same it would cost for the 5 to ship.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

How do these volume controls compare to a l-pad? Maybe I should stick with l-pads. Will the volume controls harm the machine over time with them being pots?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I think you pretty much leave them alone they would be the best and easisest option.

If you think you will be constantly turning it up and down stick with an l-pad. I havent' been happy with the potentiometer option from Radio Shack.

I have youg kids so L-pads are nice so that I can turn up or down on the fly.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Are they not potentiometers? I thought The l-pads kept the resistance at a certain level and then turning down the sound did not harm the machine. Potentiometers don't do this and after a time it damages a machine. If they are pots, why are these good but ones you get at say radio shack are not?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

This has been discussed several times on several threads, and I'm beginning to think we (including I) have been too worried about what to use. There are many theories, but generally you should try to keep the resistance back to the amp what it expects from the speaker. Too much more or less is not supposed to be good. But when you hear of people that have had them unplugged for a while and they still work, I think these rules that normally apply to a fairly good quality amp may not apply here. I'm starting to think the amp's on these are fairly forgiving and it looks like you can use pretty much whatever works to add resistance.

I have added the Parts Express L pads to all of mine (except the Sammy tweeters) and am really happy with the result. For the tweeters, I used some .19 Radio shack 1.5K resistors and it seems about right, but I don't think I've heard of anyone "blowing" out an amp yet with any method of modification. I still think Lpads are the best (safest) way, but the pots seem to work just as well. The only difference in type is how much you plan on turning it up and down. The little ones aren't rated for many turns.
    http://home.neb.rr.com/lindquists/gameroom

*King Camel*DonDon King*Hanabi Hyakkei*Savanna Park*Super StarDust*Gold X*ArraKing*HyperRemix*

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Here's the main question then.
    Has anyone actually blown the amp with a mod, or by unplugging the speakers? Or are we just listening to the audiophile purists that tell us they are gonna blow?

I know for a fact that putting a 6 monks into bonus round and unplugging the speakers from mid Oct of 2004 until last nite March 5th 2005, and leaving the machine on 24/7 so it had a pretty light show in a store window without the music going all the time did not burn out the amp. The music is just as loud and crisp as it was the day I unplugged it. SO I am gonna have to with the theory that these amps are not as delicate as we were led to beleive.

Just my ramblings, the voices are sleeping for now.

This is my personal opinion, or of the voices in my head, and are not meant to reflect the opinion of this board.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Lddrizzt
    I know for a fact that putting a 6 monks into bonus round and unplugging the speakers from mid Oct of 2004 until last nite March 5th 2005, and leaving the machine on 24/7 so it had a pretty light show in a store window without the music going all the time did not burn out the amp.
    But, did you burn out any lightbulbs in all that time? I tend to always turn the machines off when not using them just so the bulbs don't have to be replaced. That long of a bonus round would be a great test! :wink:

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I had one regular bulb burn out, the rest of the light show is led so those will still be goin after I die. This is the machine that I did the looney tunes mod on so I guess it was turned off for a few hours a couple weeks ago when I did the graphics change. But I went all over it last nite and everything is working fine after I replaced the bulb.

This is my personal opinion, or of the voices in my head, and are not meant to reflect the opinion of this board.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

These volume controls work great. I think it would be hard to find anything cheaper and easier to install than these. I have three machines that I purchased from them with these already installed and will be purchasing ten more volume controls for the machines that I have that do not have them. I keep a small phillips head screw driver near my machines for when I desire to adjust the volume.
    *Fever Wanted*Thunderzone*/ *Paijima*Oh Hanabi*Automatic*Nobunaga No Yobou(King of the battle world)*Hanabi Hyakkei*Speed Racer*Thunderbirds*Babel*Gold X*Beast Sapp*King Camel*Fire Drift*