Thread: Cleaning nails...to pull or not to pull

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Cleaning nails...to pull or not to pull

Getting ready to start cleaning nails and I'm a bit leery of pulling nails to clean them. Worried they might break off and worried they may not be snug when replaced. The idea of using a shoe string with polish instead of pulling the nails sounds daunting. I understand that using a dremel could damage the cell...is that correct? Any other ways to clean nails without pulling them?
    Wherever you go, there you are.
    Yukamin Zaki

2. The following user says "Thanks" to pachinkojeff

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Cleaning nails...to pull or not to pull

Well if you don't restore the cell, I would say not to pull the nails, just clean them on the cell. It's a long task, do a bit every day.

Of course it will be faster to clean them if they are pulled out of the cell, but the time you will use to carefully pulled them out, and put them all back, you will not save time. You better clean them on the cell. Also pulling them out and putting them back can damage the cell.

I used Brasso and cloth to clean them, there's many thread about what can be used.

4. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to TilionMtl

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Do not pull just to clean them. Pulling isnt an easy task in itself and yes, you might break them. Not only that but you will have to readjust all the nails after you reinstall them which is a task in itself. There is an art to that believe it or not. Pulling should only be done if you're thinking about replacing the cell. Maybe others feel differently?!

Polishing is daunting but you have to just go for it. There are a few ways to do it like you mentioned shoestrings (they will break fairly quickly and might get expensive), torn T-shirts, string/twine, Miracle Cleaning Cloth (takethecastle57 plug) and alot of Brasso.

A Dremel isnt very effective but you could try it. The cell surface is fairly durable but it might be as labor intensive as good old elbow grease.

If you give yourself 2 to 3 hours and just do it by hand it will be done and you wont have to worry about if for a long time.

Hope thats good advice to a fellow polisher .

6. The following 10 users say "Thanks" to Microbus99

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It depends how badly oxidized the nails are. I had a machine shipped from Hawaii and the nails were so rusty that I pulled them all, washed in vinegar, then used ammiracle cloth to finish them.

If you just do the nail heads. My method for quick polishes, brasso is good, but be sure to finish with never dull or miracle so they don't immediately tarnish.

Let us know what you do.
    PachiTalk

chewy's motto: life is plumbing

8. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to mudfud

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

I am Very curious why members here would suggest to use Brasso or any Liquid on a Cell to clean it . When I started restoring(Cleaning , Adjusting ) Pachinko machines back in 1976 I learned all the hard lessons like don't use any liquid polish on the cell cause around the nail braids it will discolor it and Never use WD 40 or any oils on the pivots points or hinges because it will attract dirt like a magnet .

That being said I have pull the Brass nail braids in 2002 and it was no fun getting them out intact and then , after you clean and polish them put them back in the cell board at the proper angle and depth .

Thats why I love the Miracle Cloth or Crazy cloth (blue cloth) . It is non- toxic and smells nice .

have fun restoring and if you could start a Thread on the restoration of the machine with plenty of before and after pictures

Here's a link to my Sankyo "Let's Go By Train " Pachinko thread .

http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/mode...-pachinko.html
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

10. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to takethecastle57

Thanks
    Thanks Received

To polish brass pins I useMothers Mag & Aluminum Polish, Wrapping Twine twisted cotton light load, Q-tips with paper sticks (Not Plastic sticks) and strips of cloth cut from an old cotton T-shirt. It takes a lot of time but looks great
    Attached Images Attached Images

12. The following 15 users say "Thanks" to cardwwi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well, I've started cleaning the nails on the Maruhon. I'm not brave enough at this point to pull nails. I had some Mothers Mag polish that I've used on the chrome on the Edsel...which shines the chrome beautifully. Got some old t shirt cut into strips and I've done 7 nails before writing this post. The results are quite dramatic but what a p i t a! Its like flossing teeth...only instead of 32 teeth there are a couple hundred I tried counting how many nails and that was an equally p i t a so I gave up counting. I'm using the polish sparingly...just eough to get the cloth very slightly damp and go over the nail a second time and then polish with a dry piece. I don't think the cell will be damaged as it's a quick on, quick off process and using a minimal amout of polish and it not like it's not sitting there soaking for a while. I'll try to post some pictures after the holidays.
    Merry Christmas...Happy Chanukah...Have a good Kwanzaa...Have a great Festivus (did I forget anybody?)and a Happy New Year to everyone!
    Wherever you go, there you are.
    Yukamin Zaki

14. The following 14 users say "Thanks" to pachinkojeff

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Some of the most rewarding things in life take time, patience and persistence!

You are are the right track! Never pull the nails unless you are doing a cell replacement. As Microbu99 mentions, replacing the nails and adjusting/aligning them back to their original position is a very daunting task in itself, since all of the nails are bent into position to start with (look closely and you will see that they were not originally nailed into the cell in perfect alignment - they were bent into position at the factory). When you pull the nails out, mix them up while cleaning them, then tap them back into the playfield, the pattern you get no loger resembles what you started with. It can take a few hours of adjusting and fine tuning to get them all to line up again.

You will spend less time using the method that Cardwwi suggests and your results will be rewarding.
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

16. The following 14 users say "Thanks" to JACKSJE4

Thanks
    Thanks Received

If you've ever pulled nails, reinserted, and adjusted them for both depth and angle then you wouldn't even consider pulling them just to polish.

18. The following 13 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

And a thanks to emmadog, again, for the nails sent to me, I instaled them earlier in the week when I cleaned the cell.

The one who posted previously about the stains you gat arond the nail holes; I found a discoloration too, around the base of the nails, sort of a purplish water stain. This does go away a few hours later.

I would recommend polishing only the heads.

20. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Gilly

Thanks
    Thanks Received

When I got my Nishijin I thought about pulling out the nails. I attached pliers and applied gentle pressure, then a bit more, then a bit more.

Of course when I realised how firm the nails are in the bed I decided cleaning them on the cell!!

Don't do it if you can help it; mine still look kinda rusty from some angles but the machine works fine.

22. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to Ash

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hi guys,

I am currently using Brasso on all of my brass pins for both the body and the head of each pin. So far it's working fine, but I noticed that the pins that most frequently come in contact with the balls at the top had their finish worn off in such a way that they are thinner in diameter than those that come in less contact. Is this ok or will this effect the play? I too am concerned with having to pull the pins. I noticed in one of the other threads that someone had posted where too purchase these brass pins. Has anybody replaced just a few pins?

Thanks and you guys have really saved me a lot of time with your recommendations.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I wouldn't worry about the diameter of the pins affecting ball trajectory. The act of the balls getting shot (especially manual shooters) and how and where they hit various pins probably constitutes dozens of interactions for each ball. More important is the angle of the pin relative to the play field surface.
    New replacement pins are hard to come by. They very rarely show up on YJA and at least one of the YJA sellers also offers them on eBay. Best bet is to get someone from here to give you some from a parts machine or pick up a parts machine yourself. That way, you'll have pins, screws, springs, etc.
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

25. The following user says "Thanks" to emmadog