Thread: MAME on PSP

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default MAME on PSP

I was reading about modding the PSP so it can run MAME. We hardly use our PSP, and I think it would be pretty cool to make a handheld MAME system.

There seems to be an overload of information out there, and it's hard to decipher what's fact from crap. Pandora batteries, 'magic memory sticks', etc.

Anybody "been there, done that" and can offer some advice? Feel free to jump in.
    Gotta catch 'em all Pa-chink-o

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: MAME on PSP

I've read up quite a bit on it, If your carefull and do it properly your ok

if not you will "brick" your psp

I've never wanted tom take that chance,

once in awile you can find one already setup with games on Ebay.
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

3. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to luckydog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quick update... Pandora battery and memory card shipped Dec. 3rd. finally arrived today. $12.95 shipped free from HK so I guess that's not too bad.

Installed custom firmware and MAME emulator. Not perfect, not all games will work, but still pretty cool to fire up a quick game without turning the cabinet on.

FWIW, Pandora batteries can be used to unbrick certain models of the PSP.

5. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Ikaria

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Sorry I just saw this thread or I would have sent you the info so you didn't have to search around for it. The pandora battery I got also doubles as a regular battery. I haven't tried the MAME emulator yet, but will have to check it out when I have more time.
    Machines I own: ...see my profile

7. The following user says "Thanks" to outdoorenth

Thanks
    Thanks Received

MAME is OK on PSP, I tend to stick with the commercial arcade packs though (Midway Classics, Atari, Capcom, etc) as those all play really well.

For other emulators though the PSP is really great. Genesis, NES.. even Commodore 64.. really opens up what you can do with the device. Definitely my favorite hand held game system.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for the reminder that I still need to install the rest of the emus. Currently only have MAME and the GB emu.

Shortly after the PSP I thought it would be a good idea to mod the Wii, so I've been playing with that.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Although you've done it and you're happy, I've typed this out for anyone else's benefit who might come across the thread. Bear in mind it was around 3 years ago so I'm working from memory.

Been there, done that. In fact I have a 'battery tool' thing somewhere.

It depends on your generation of PSP. Mine was a slim, and it was fairly easy (because I'd softmodded an original xbox before that and played around with other mods, operating systems etc).

This is how it worked on mine, and on my ex's sister who I also did it for...

Once you have made the Magic Memory Stick by formatting one connected to the computer, you need to download the new firmware installer onto the card.
    If you have a battery tool then you flash the battery, otherwise you need to cut it open and sever the link on the circuit (this is what I did first time).
    With everything in place you follow the instructions to flash the new firmware onto the psp and hope it installs properly without bricking the console.
    If you brick it, it's not too difficult to get it working again (ex's sister's bricked the first time, not sure why).
    Once the new firmware is installed you must pencil in the circuit on the battery/re-flash to get it back to normal.

As far as I remember, you need a Prince of Persia game to get this whole thing running? I can't remember at what point that fits in, I think it's to get the firmware stuff to run in the first place?
    In mine you needed a UMD in the back at all times to trick the machine into playing games off the memory card.

Never bothered with MAME on the PSP though, I preferred the Megadrive/Genesis

11. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Ash

Thanks
    Thanks Received

This thread was never intended as a tutorial on how to hack your PSP, but if you're really serious about it after you've read these posts, visit http://forums.psp-hacks.com/f133/

The site has all the information about how to identify which version of the PSP you have and what steps will be required.

If you're looking for PSP emulators, http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/psp/forthepsp.html

If you're looking for roms, you'll have to look elsewhere, since we don't discuss them on this site.

13. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Ikaria