Thread: Nishijin B Identification Questions

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Nishijin B Identification Questions

I am the owner of a brand new (used) Nishijin Model B Pachinko. I have had it for a little over a month now and have been doing tons of research in the areas of identification and restoration, most of which has been on this site. I have another more modern appx 1990's sankyo I've had for years, but that is another time.

What I know:
    So far what I beleive I have is a 1971-1973 Nishijin Model B Flowers. I plan on restoring the whole thing in the coming weeks. As it sits, filled with balls, all tulips, win slots, jackpots, payouts and levers work. All but the lights (havent tried any electrical work yet), seem to be functioning properly. Everywhere checking over doesn't look to be in bad shape at all, with the exception of minor rust on the frame, dust in the back, and a dirty playfield. Yes I see the bent pin in the top, it has since been straightened.

Where to go now:
    Before I start anything I would like to properly identify it with "experts", yes you on this site. I have been a member for a good few weeks now and have yet to post, but read a lot. I would also like some insight as to if I am missing anything obvious from the front or back. I know the flat white ball tray cover is there which a lot are missing, but there is one piece in particular I'm worried about. On most other Nishijins like this, the back has a rather large clear-ish cover that goes over the upper half of the back that the "PASS" is usually stuck to. The way this one appears to be made, the blue plastic looks as though nothing was made to cover it. I do not see any empty screw holes or places where a cover would have been. Also my "PASS" sticker has been fixed to the back of the wood, another iffy situation. One more and I'll be done. To me, the wiring screams homeade with the wires going every direction and in 2 instances being stapled through the PASS sticker.

Any insight would be a great help on this project, ie. tips and tricks. I know one person can't know everything, but with the amount of infomation on this site, I'm confident I'll find all that I need.

I will be restoring this in a few weeks piece by piece, with my working schedule right now, it will have to wait for the weekends. I will be posting pictures, questions, and any helpful info I gather along the way to benefit others. I plan to begin in November and have it completed by no later than 12/31/2010. Thank you all for your help so far.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to OneBigTuna

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Nishijin B Identification Questions

Welcome to the addiction!!

You have a nice looking machine there, and from what I can tell from the photos you posted, it looks VERY complete!!! I have restored many machines from the late 1960's through the late 1970's, and I cannot see anything missing from the back. The plastic cover you describe was added to the design in later machines, typically around 1975 or 1976 as the design began its evolution to the Model C.

As for the wiring, it looks pretty typical to me. I have seen much worse.

I'm sure you have already read this thread, but thought it would be helpful as you prepare to take the machine apart and clean it up:

http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/vint...o-machine.html

Again, Welcome to PachiTalk!! We look forward to reading up on your progress and most important - we can't wait for the pictures!!!

Jeff
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

4. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to JACKSJE4

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Just take your time and read the info on here. Cardwii has done excellent work and has a sticky on it. A few of us have done complete restos to include the cel as well. As for identifying your machine, well it's sort of a generalization. A given pachinko can be found with different backgrounds, tulips, etc. For example, I had a model A with your center feature.
    If you redo the cel due to water stains or whatever there are some good methods and tools on here to help with that. I just used pliers and it was a pain.
    Anyway, good luck with it and you will learn a lot.

6. The following user says "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for the info guys,

I was unaware of the size limit for pictures before posting, so I had to shrink my file sizes for them to fit. I have two High Res shots appx 5MB, any tips on where I can post them so they can be viewed as well?

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by OneBigTuna View Post
    Thanks for the info guys,

I was unaware of the size limit for pictures before posting, so I had to shrink my file sizes for them to fit. I have two High Res shots appx 5MB, any tips on where I can post them so they can be viewed as well?

Thanks
    Welcome to Pachitalk

I think ya can post biggggggger pics in an album of your own... each member has the ability to creat an album in you home page...

nice looking Vintage
    Last edited by Moparformances; 10-26-2010 at 04:19 PM.
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome, neat machine you've got there. I had a bit of luck hooking up a simple 9v to the posts on the back on my Nishijin. They're real simple circuits, if you can use an ohm meter, you can figure it out pretty easy. Of note, on one of my Sankyo's, the wire was broken under a staple, which caused me a bit of difficulty troubleshooting. In the pic you'll see I shorted over the fuse holder (the fuse I had wasn't working), not something I'd necessarily advise, although with a 9v battery, I'm not too worried. Shining the nails is somehow therapeutic, and kind of brightens up the machine, I do it while I sit in front of the TV. Can't wait to see how it ends up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to ACMech

Thanks
    Thanks Received

nice machine. undoubtedly only the first of many... you will like the tinkering, the fixing, the referring to pachitalk, the new friends in the addiction... the dark side is strong, so come on over... and remember, you can't just have one pachi, or two, or three, or ... 3 dozen?
    PachiTalk

chewy's motto: life is plumbing

12. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to mudfud

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Careful Chewy - you might scare the 'fish' away.
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

14. The following user says "Thanks" to JACKSJE4

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for the warning mudfud. Jeff...a pun on this site, really...I'm so surprised. One of the things that I enjoyed while surfing this site initially was the humor involved, the jokes sounded like my everyday conversations.

I've certainly been craigslisting much more since the purchase of this machine, along with the googling, and the youtubing. Addiction not quite yet, I must restrain myself now to one at a time, no matter how tempting it is.

I posted the pictures again in my albums, but they are not too much clearer. I plan on hooking up a battery this weekend and seeing if I can make her spark up. I do have a basic knowledge of circuits, and hope that comes in handy with this relatively simple setup of wires(fingers crossed). I'll be checking back for all the tips throughout the week and will post some more pics this weekend, close up of the center feature, minor issues, etc.

Thanks again for the help guys

16. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to OneBigTuna

Thanks
    Thanks Received

the circuits are not difficult. one for the jackpot, and one for the ball empty.

the only thing that is confusing is that there is an extra terminal that went to the parlor central office so they knew when the ball hopper was empty. I often just use trial and error with the 9 volt to figure which 2 of the 3 lugs to wire to, but there are lots of pix of others with B's to reference, too.
    PachiTalk

chewy's motto: life is plumbing

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to PachiTalk!!

Nice looking vintage nishijin, and i can see that you have found some of our knowledgeable members to offer their advice, I'm sure many more will pop by to offer their thoughts too

Thanks for taking the time to post and I know we will all be looking forward to following your progress with this one and all the others that may follow

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

WELCOME!!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Nishijin B Restoration Update

So I know I am due for a restoration update on my machine. I finally got my digital camera back working so I could snap pics before starting anything on the machine.

It has been about 2 weeks since first posting about the machine. It was time to try my hand at restoration. I wanted to start with something simple, which is why I chose the play tray and ball dispenser levers. I figured it was all one piece, I could set it on the table and do it all in an hour or so. I took it all apart, washed the plastic, took some quad zero steel wool to the metal pieces and used some of my chrome wheel cleaner polish. It cleaned up real nice and I'm happy with the way it turned out.

Friday, I stopped by the Radio Shack to pick up some minor electronics to check the wiring. I hooked up a battery to the terminals and the ball empty light, and the jackpot light worked properly. I was thrilled that everything seemed to work right. I will be updating the wiring with all new, so I carefully removed all of what was there so I can lay it all out before replacement.

With the updating of the wiring, I wanted to ask a question of restoration etiquette. I will be using the machine in my house with a battery so I decided to add a switch...a blue Led switch. I plan to mount it in the back of the machine so its not seen but will still be bright. In my defense, it does match the back of the machine.

I put the tray back on and it looks great ...now that its the only good looking piece on it, I really want to finish the whole thing.

21. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to OneBigTuna