Thread: 50's Heiwa

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default 50's Heiwa

Just received this one. My best guess is early 50's. It's intact and interestingly has a rear cover that looks original so that the machine's back opens like a case. To access the front a lever in the back releases the front glass and it slides up and out. There's no swing-out frame. The front black wooden frame detaches from the cel and mechanicals via two long bolts with associated wingnuts and clips.
    Interestingly there's a small chrome spring loaded "trap door" above the semi circular center feature. When a ball enters it travels down to the white wheel below which causes it to spin and drop down to award a jackpot. Very much looking forward to restoring this one but it will have to wait behind my other latest machine. I'll have pics and the write up on here soon-just gotta find time to go pick it up. I had it shipped to a family member while I was out of town. Anyway, It's a Kyoraku baseball themed arepachi. There's a fuzzy pic of it in my album. that the seller sent me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by emmadog; 10-23-2010 at 12:32 PM.

2. The following 16 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Smile Re: 50's Heiwa

That is bad a$$!!
    Bill
    "trying Is the first step towards failure" Homer J. Simpson

4. The following user says "Thanks" to bfree

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: 50's Heiwa

nice machine. I think that I saw Bill Connoly had one mounted in a box that had legs and was perhaps used outdoors?

my older ones don't have a swinging door either. the glass slides in from a slot in the top.

does it have a 15 ball jackpot payout thing in the center, or a seesaw chute payout?
    PachiTalk

chewy's motto: life is plumbing

6. The following user says "Thanks" to mudfud

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It has a 15 ball center jackpot. I haven't really gone really thru it yet to see exactly how all the mechanisms work...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Spent some time with it and got it running. It does payout via a large seesaw lever or I should say the seesaw is what replenishes the center jackpot. These old machines are cool with all their separate mechanisms and articulations that allow for cleaning, ball removal, etc.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I totally agree. The older machines are always my favorites. Except for a the maruhon New Prince, which I think is a lame design, I have been able to get all the machines working reliably.
    PachiTalk

chewy's motto: life is plumbing

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by emmadog View Post
    These old machines are cool with all their separate mechanisms and articulations that allow for cleaning, ball removal, etc.

I couldn't agree more. I personally prefer the older machines, as I think they are more challenging and more rewarding to play. I also like the sounds they make when you score a jackpot with the balls bouncing down the tin chutes and ball paths.
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'd have to agree that they're my favorite too and they represent a lot of history. Next on the wishlist is a pre Masamura. I've seen about 3 or 4 up for sale over the past month with some interesting pocket covers.
    Now concerning this Heiwa, how much to restore and what to leave alone? If this was a 70's model of some sort I'd likely tear it down completely but this one I think I'll leave the cel alone but definitely repaint the case and maybe the center orange hemisphere with Heiwa logo. The back mechanics are fine just oxidized. All the attachment nails are a hassle but a clean up wouldn't be complete without attention to the metal parts. I'll them and then try to find a protective finish that preserves the original color.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have an old one that was painted black (gag!). I used paint stripper which also removed the original finish. Sanded bare wood smooth and rubbed with boiled linseed oil.266.jpg316.jpg319.jpg321.jpgThe original white paint is gone, but it looks stunning. It is also a light color which is similar to the original color.

13. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Very nicely done and I like the natural finish much better. I've used linseed oil for years on my waterfowl guns and love the subdued result. I never liked the high gloss look.
    Regarding the Ginza, I got it up and running then put it by the wayside as new projects came in until I finally gave it away. It was the last of my "regular" vintage pachinkos to go but it is a good looking machine.
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs